Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical No fuses on 1942 ford? Weird connectors too.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farnorth, Dec 29, 2014.

1. farnorth

farnorth

So I'm brand new to 6V positive ground electrical. I've got a 1942 Ford Blitz military truck I'm working on, runs good but electrical is a mess. I have not found a single fuse yet. All my wires have these strange barrel connectors in line that look to be coated with what used to be a black insulation of some kind. The black stuff is all bubbled up now and crumbles off when touched. Have these wires all got extremely hot at one time to do this to the connectors? Wires look great except for connections. What is the typical way of replacing these? Any help would be appreciated.

2. mtflat

mtflat

Bullet connectors that have rubber sleeves. Didn't necessarily get hot - it's the nature of rubber when it gets old. Standard on all trucks of that vintage. Parts houses still carry them.
    The wiring system uses circuit breakers instead of fuses. Works great even today.

3. duke460

duke460
    from Wisconsin

My 50 ford only had one fuse which was on the top of the headlight switch. There was one circuit breaker under the hood and 1 under the dash. Other than lights and a heater there was not a lot of electrical load for this vintage. Kept mine all 6 volt positive ground. No problems once the wiring was cleaned up to original. MACs has all the barrel connectors and junction blocks. Suggest downloading a wiring diagram and clean it up. Pretty simple for a 42 Ford