Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Station Wagon Living!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Station Wagon Living!

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Cooon likes this.
  2. I love wagons,especially your Safari wagon.

Many of us baby boomers did time in the back seat of a wagon on road trips to grandma's or camping trips.

Thanks for posting the article from Ford Times. HRP

One of my favorites..

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  3. Merry Christmas Happy New Year and Thanks for posting that article. It was very amusing. Like so many others, wagons were a staple of the Tomorowitz household. Pops had a '57 Chevy 4 dr wagon, when I was born (last of 5) We never did any "camping" per se', but all 5 kids fit very nicely in the back, on countless road trips. Fond memories of have the 3rd rear facing seat (1969 Kingswood 327 3spd on the tree)) all to myself, napping, thumbing my nose at cars behind us, or just watching the endless ribbon of highway pass by.
    Just reluctantly gave away my Volvo wagon and my Bro' (MrTomatohead) has a cool '55 Ford wagon.

JT

4. NoSurf

NoSurf

I have a few things to repair/replace on my '57 wagon before I do any road trips. But I and my family are looking forward to it!

If that article was a PDF I would print it out and keep it in my wagon haha.

5. 2935ford

2935ford

These would work well also. Standup room!

1963-1966-studebaker-wagon-3.jpg

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

My Daily-Driver
    91015501.JPG

lemondana, Flamed48, da34guy and 2 others like this.
  7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Loved wagons,owned 18 wags over the last 55 years,mostly Fords but a few others too.
    I used my wag for everything that I could not do with my hotrod. Wag was my pickup truck in efect,towed my racecars/tools/parts/Tent ect.that could be locked up vs a open pickup could not,got better MPG then my buddys towcars too.

Cooon and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. mgbtc

mgbtc

Happy New Year to all! Great article. The first wagon my parents had was a 57 Safari and many more after that. It made me love them too. I would have to think about them all that we have had, but the one that stands out was our 65 Pontiac Catalina wagon. A trouper, I bought it when I was 18 and sold it three years ago after having it almost 40 years. My family was sad, the car was almost family but it went to a good home.

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

My favorite car growing up was our yellow & white '58 Ford Country Sedan, a big improvement over the '59 Vauxhall Victor Estate Wagon we had before it...All eight of us fit easily into that Ford, and I have fond memories of family vacations in it.
    I can still remember seeing my first '56 Nomad (January 1, 1972), a red & white beauty at Mid-Way Motors on East 11th St. in Tulsa. They wanted $800 for it, and it may as well have been $8 million for all the money I had, but thus began a life-long obsession with all things Nomad and Safari.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  10. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

I'm doing a 57 Handyman 2dr wagon...want to occasionally tow drag car to the strip and maybe even drive daily.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

growing up we had a 57 or so Mercury wagon with wood on the sides. white with a red interior. about 1967 we had a Datsun station wagon, while not HAMB friendly, that would be cool to have today since so few survived.

12. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

13. abraun

abraun
    from Michigan

My dad never had a wagon but he "converted" several vans into campers. We had a 60 Ford Econovan 6 cyl that wouldn't hardly make it up the hills in Upper Michigan. I never realized there were so many innovations for camping within a few miles of where I grew up. At the moment I am sitting in my office in Ann Arbor, Michigan

14. Love wagons, now I just need to get me one. Really fond of the old Ford Times articles as well.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. From the April, 1960 Ford Times. Not a wagon, but a '54 Ford converted to a "sleeper". 12292014_0003.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Anniversary0008.jpg scan0044.jpg scan0082.jpg
    A few pics of my wifes family. They lived in the wagon every summer during their trips on vacation.

jakespeed63 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. From Oct. 1961. Falcon Wagon set up for chow-time. 12292014_0004.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. From the Ford Buyer's Digest of NEW CAR FACTS for 1960 12292014_0005.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. flamingokid

flamingokid

Many good memories of the Vista Cruiser wagon,we camped in it when we went to northern Wisconsin.

20. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We camped out of a 59 Ford Wagon during my last two years in HS. As you can see by the avatar, wagons are still cool for me.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

Love the Ford Times article, I'm a big fan of wagons myself. Current project is a '63 Fairlane 500 Ranch Wagon. Aiming to have it back on the road this summer.

I spent much of my childhood riding either shotgun on in the back seat of a tubbed 1939 Chevy 2 door sedan going to rod runs back in the 80's. I loved my Dad's old car and have some great memories but I was never really too fond of lack of space, especially on longer trips. Many times I basically sat on top of the cooler or luggage because the trunk was too small to fit much of anything. Now that I have a son who just turned 2, I want him to have some similar memories with me taking road trips and going to shows with Dad in an old car, but luckily the wagon has plenty of space for seating along with anything I care to throw in the back, and it offers a place to sleep as well. No riding on top of coolers for him.
    IMG_4338.JPG

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  22. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Awesome post! Now that these cars are old and wagons are not "not cool" anymore, wagons are SO COOL.

23. With 4 kids, wagons are seeming cooler all the time to me. I have a 58 Nomad and am looking at buying a 59 Chevy wagon... My folks had a wagon when I was a kid, but it was from the early 80's and I hated it. My dad got it after selling his Corvette! I think I must be getting old thinking wagons are cool. :eek:

24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Not mine but a rare wagon
    061109CruisinRSM005-vi.jpg
    A local Buick with bond wood van
    162091-buick-caballero.jpg

A rare 42 Olds wagon as well
    Olds 3 08 b.JPG

Nick32vic, jakespeed63 and AHotRod like this.
  25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

This is an early coach built FJ Holden, a wagon was not offered by GM Holden until 1957.

[​IMG]
    SL370839.JPG
    EFIGY was based on the FJ Holden.
    [​IMG]

This is GMH built prototype and nothing like coachbuilt wagons. GMH also offered a sedan delivery (Panel van) similar to below however a wagon sadly never made it into production.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

We never had a wagon when I was a kid.:( I had POS Pinto wagon back in the 80's as a work car. By the time we had kids, only wagons around were small, mostly import jobs, so we had a couple of minivans and a suv. Would love to have a hardtop wagon like the Buick pictured above.

27. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I love wagons. I have an O.T. Toyota camry wagon with 220,000 on the clock. I have my eye on a 63 Rambler 330 two door wagon at the moment. Damn I dont need another project.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  28. We never had any station wagons ... but I've always wanted one.

Here's a few of my friend's '50s wagons:

Ed Lee\'s \'51 Plymouth \'Woodie\' Wagon.jpg
    @plywude's 1951 Plymouth Savoy "Woody" Wagon

Lazenby\'s \'55 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe Town & Country Wagon (front).jpg
    @johnl's 1955 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe Town & Country Wagon

Goodguy\'s \'55 DeSoto Wagon.JPG
    GG's 1955 DeSoto Wagon

Goodguy\'s \'56 NYer Wagon .JPG
    GG's 1956 Chrysler New Yorker Wagon

Goodguy\'s \'57 Buick Caballero.jpg
    GG's 1957 Buick Caballero Wagon​

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  29. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

Here's my 1956 Buick Special Wagon. It's currently being redone. It now has a Rebuilt 65 401 Dual Quad motor attached to a 700R4 Overdrive Transmission. Power Disc Brakes, Vintage Air Heat and Cool System, Ford rear end, Updated GM 605 Steering Box. and a new Matching Red/White interior. I can't wait to get it back on the road, probably in January.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jakespeed63 and AHotRod like this.
  30. Wardog

Wardog

My wifes 390 65 Galaxie daily, she stands out at school drop off and at the shops.
    She now wants a 58/59 ranchwagon.