Register now to get rid of these ads!

After some advice? 33 coupe freshen up/Hop up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fnjunk, Dec 27, 2014.

1. "In Australia ,one car on the road is worth 8 projects in the shed"-
    -Ancient Chinese proverb
    Replace the guards with some Duece Customs glass ones (or cycle guards) and hang the six wheelers in your shed -or sell them, you won't lose.

fnjunk likes this.
  2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Drive it as it is. Why make it look like it was pulled from a junkyard and built by 20 year old in 1947. It's intact almost newish. The reason these were hot rods in the first place was the base car. I mean these were performance cars from the factory. It's a car that provided somewhat affordable performance for the masses The reason these became hot rods is simply these were phenomenal cars to begin with.
    If you can afford such a car, you can afford to find some piece of junk and build it up as hot rod glory.

I would drive the wheels off of that coupe as is.

3. Having seen this car in person, I can tell you that the body is outstanding and I can see why a lot of people have been telling fnjunk not to touch it. We've spent many a night in the garage drinking and discussing different ideas of what should be done with the 3 window. Waiting 4 years to mess with it has probably been a good thing as I think fnjunk has figured out what his ideal hot rod would look like in that time. The reason the 33 has been on the backburner is that there have been 4 builds that have been in the way and the odd house renovation. But fnjunk, I think it is time mate...

My thoughts:
    You already have the engine, gearbox, brakes, wheels, tyres and other bits so use them
    Lower it and create a true hot rod stance
    If you really don't like the black fenders on the navy blue body then just run it fenderless, otherwise get the wheel wells sorted and run it the way it is (that is purely personal choice so you have to decide on that one). Don't be afraid to do things, after all do you say your a hot rodder or a restorer?

I think you've been picturing a full build in your head with the body coming off, chassis work, etc. But does that really need to happen? What about just doing the bolt on stuff for now and just driving it and enjoying it for a while. Then if you want to take it further you can.

If you are purely looking at the money side of things then don't. You have to enjoy life, isn't that what you were telling me when we were building my pickup? You only have one life, I'd rather enjoy driving down some back road in a traditional hot rod before I die then looking at the bank balance. In the end it makes no difference.

When you first told people you were after a Henry Ford 33 three window in Australia they all laughed and said you'll never get one. Not only did you get one but you found such a perfect example and right hand drive straight from the factory! Couldn't be a more perfect start.

Sell it and one day you might see it driving down the road and will you ask yourself "that's what I should have done with it?"

kiwijeff likes this.
  4. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Keep it an drive looks nice Rog Mn

5. Squablow

Squablow

I'm with those saying go for a motor hop up, new rubber/mild stance and maybe a brake upgrade. Then it's a hot rod without tearing into it too deeply. Wouldn't be tough to make some flush fitting fender inserts to cover the wells in the fender without ruining the paint or cutting the original fenders. You'd just have a little seam running around the perimiter of the wheelwells, that wouldn't bother me.

I'm all for making this car a hotrod, but only in the way that doesn't require tearing it all apart or redoing anything. A guy coming home from WWII wouldn't rip apart a car that nice to change everything, he'd just do some mild mods and call it good.

kiwijeff and verde742 like this.
  6. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Chop it up. 82 years looking like it does is long enough.

tb33anda3rd and kiwijeff like this.
  7. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Thank you guys for all your input.
    Acme30 Sorry to confuse but the pics I uploaded were of the car when I picked it up in Western Australia.
    I am in Melbourne and a yearly inspection is not require atm.
    mgtstumpy I have seen that 900hp 34 and yes that is cool.
    After all the input I am swaying towards keeping her and going with bolt on mods / engine swap, brake upgrade,wheels tyres and so on.
    As for the fenders I'm still undecided???I do love full fendered coupes so think I will have to start the
    Hunt for an OG pair, any leads would be appreciated.
    The only other problem is the interior don't know what to do there ???
    Dirty fuel looks like you've just sold off a shit load of your weekends in 2015 my friend lol,,yea I know once we get that pickup of yours back on the road.

Will keep you guys posted once the games begin hopefully February fingers crossed.

Shit just got real.

8. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

there is an old saying ,push lever a then lever c and then just lever be .

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you really want plain front fenders there must be lots of guys who would trade for your old ones and give you cash to boot. The twin sidemount fenders are a very rare option.

10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Keep every part you take off the car and save them so you can put it back and do only bolton mods like so many have already said then enjoy it

11. indyjps

indyjps

I wouldn't touch that car, it's beautiful. Enjoy as is until your tired of it and pass it on to a new caretaker. If you want a hot rod, sell that car and get another.

12. 2935ford

2935ford

Gee, I wish I had that problem! :)

13. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Rusty O think I should hold on to them so "one day" someone can return her to her former glory if need be.
    Once this is dun it won't be me.

Shit just got real.

14. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

I know I know 2936ford but I have lost a lot of sleep lying in bed at night thinking this through

Shit just got real.

15. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

Please keep it flathead powered. 24 stud Merc crank, 39 trans, Columbia overdrive, drop axle, juice brakes and 35 ford wheels would not be hard to do or that costly. Leave the interior alone, I wouldn't change it. There is a build thread on the HAMB on a 32 three window that was built like this and it turned out awesome. I just can't find the link at the moment. Best of luck.

16. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Sounds like a plan IronFord have been looking to buy a Columbia rear for about 3 years hoping to buy one to bolt straight in.
    They are like rocking horse shit.
    Can't seem to track one down.
    Will keep on hunting.
    Thanks for input mate.

Shit just got real.

17. nice car do what you had planned, keep, trade or sell the parts you take off depending on the room you have,saying that you'll never reinstall them but some one else will or needs them. as for painting the fenders a very dark black/blue with a little flattener just enough to knock-off the high gloss of new paint.
    remember it's your car, your project!!!!

18. 2935ford

2935ford

I understand!

19. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Thanks big Al must say that 34 is very close to what I was hoping to achieve.
    Think I might run with my existing interior for the time being, maybe just fit my 40 deluxe wheel and upgrade the gauges.
    Dirty fuel I think you maybe getting as excited as I am about getting this old girl on the road.
    Thanks once again guys for your input hopefully it will inspire me to pull my finger out.
    Fnjunk

20. Fnjunk, have you pulled your finger out yet? You cant just start something and get everyone all excited then say nothing. Are we doing this or not? Did shit just get real?

21. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Classic :p

22. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Yes mate the wheels have started to turn slowly.
    As you know I picked up a nice 32 dropped axle from Fellow hamber Big Al and got to check out some of his really cool gear ,cheers Al
    Got myself some 39 spindles.
    Pulled out the Kelsey's I purchased on here a couple of years back,gave them a bead blast time to send them of and have the rears widen,and all powder coated black.
    Now it's time to pull the 59 Flatty in the shed and tear her down.
    Hopefully she's not too tired fingers crossed.
    I'm not going to bore everyone with my step by step build ,as I'm not going to do anything that hasn't been done before nor do I fabricate like some of the very talented craftsmen on this site(wish I did).
    What I will do is up date with some progress pics along the way.
    As for you Polluted petrol (Dirty Fuel)
    You will more than likely have your arse right beside me in the shed as I transform the old girl in to what we both think is cool.
    Guys please excuse the typo's poor grammar and average fab skills.
    Fnjunk
    View attachment 2809309 View attachment 2809310 View attachment 2809311 View attachment 2809312

Shit just got real.

23. Where is this at?

24. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

If it were me, I would go as far as I could to modify while keeping everything reversible. So bolt on goodies and anything that would allow you to return it as it is now. That way you don't interfere with the integrity of the car. Just my opinion. Springs, axles, hop-up parts etc, just not cutting anything up. Hell you can probably go as far as to remove the fenders as well- just keep them safe somewhere.

I think that would keep that car more worthwhile down the road too if you ever decided to let it go.

25. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I would leave it the way it is, Its better than anything I'll ever own, you can build a hot rod out of some spare parts from here and there. just my opinion.

26. That car you have is perfect the way it sits. Yes on altering the front fenders and yes to a few under hood modifications.

27. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Hi guys I have started to get the ball rolling and pull down the coupe.
    I will post a few picks as I go.
    No ground braking engineering feet just a simple transformation from
    Old classic to what I feel will be a cool old hot rod.
    Hope to hear your thoughts and suggestion. Fnjunk. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433406945.572558.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433406968.603991.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433406989.237716.jpg

Runnin shine and kiwijeff like this.