Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Does The General Public Hate Old Cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robert J. Palmer, Dec 27, 2014.

?

Do people hate old cars?

Poll closed Feb 27, 2015.
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    49.5%
  3. Or just don't undersand

48 vote(s)
    43.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slow down

Slow down

Last summer left turned on twice pulled out on twice, by older drivers . For the last twenty years or so all cars have daytime running lights up here .I think they are just looking for headlights coming down the road .Maybe I should have the lights on all the time. People are always asking what year and why so low . Cool .....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Your right the money with the brands and I find it is worst with people my age! (under 35)

3. indyjps

indyjps

Most of the people I meet seem to see anything not new as rubbish. Buying new stuff makes them happy and fulfilled, showing off their new stuff makes them proud. We-car people piss them off because we don't pay much attention to their 2015 such and so with limited edition stripes. They cannot fathom how we can't appreciate the fact that they have an $900 payment to own and show off the such and so. People not impressed by this are flawed in their opinion and they begin to feel threatened that were not impressed by their obvious signs of success, I mean come on, the payment is $900, what the fuck is wrong with you to not be happy for them.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    wojojo, Spoggie, barett and 5 others like this.
  4. SkyDriver

SkyDriver

Generally I find that other folks either enjoy the sight of my old cars (thumbs up/waves/etc.) or just ignore them. I can't think of any instances where the vehicle I was driving made other drivers aggressive. Mostly the drivers that scare me have their face in a cell phone.

5. I live in an area very similar to you very agricultural (up state N.Y.) until 30-35 years ago, and this may a part locally. However I drive to New England, New Jersey and some in to Pennsylvania (state roads instates only if I have too) and I find people act the same way toward my car.

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

7. Ok, pictures of your car are needed now

8. Squablow

Squablow

My experience is that people either love it or they just don't care, have had only a few negative reactions over many years of being into old cars. Two things I have noticed have been:

Many older than me seem to really like looking at them and reminiscing about them, but don't want one for themselves. Same goes for my house and the stuff in it, it's close to period correct for the year it was built (1960) and the people who grew up with that stuff think it's really neat but wouldn't want it for themselves. I think it has to do with how having something "store bought new" in the 50's and 60's was a big point of pride, so they like to have the newest stuff, old things are regarded like hand-me-downs more than treasured antiques.

The other thing I've noticed is that if I'm driving a project or beater, guys will ask how much I want for it (hoping it's cheap I guess?) but they never ask about buying a nice finished car. I've also noticed that some people warm right up to the rough ones but don't like to comment on the finished ones (like maybe they think we're showing off, like a status symbol)

That's all perception though, I could be wrong, and overall it's been really positive.

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

DOES THE GENERAL PUBLIC HATE OLD CARS
    Adjust to suit but not as a rule...However the general public can drive pretty stupid at times....To day I went for a ride and a woman behind me was acting like I was holding her up but I can't go any faster than the car(s) in front of me..we get to a two lane piece of road, she passes me and pulls in front of me and slows down because of the cars in front of her...I maintain speed and pass her...she fell way back in the bunch and never bothered to pull out and pass those slow cars..So it must have been just the ass end view of my car that upset her... I was on a piece of interstate for a bit and some people don't like getting passed by a hotrod it seems? :p

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

How can they notice old cars while texting or dialing a phone number? AssHats. Bob

wojojo and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. I would love to, I can't get pictures to post. I keep getting "A image to large for sever" I tried what Ryan told me (delete history and hit remember me, had some tell me to resize the pictures nether one worked) however I would like to keep this thread on topic please (In regard to the picture trouble)

12. williebill

williebill

IF I ever finish my Merc, I'm hoping for the women hiding their kids under their skirts reaction from the general civilian population. I wish I still had my old nasty Dodge crewcab car hauler. That truck would scare the hell out of most everyone I passed on residential roads, and I used it as a DD for a while. Seeing cars pull into the parking lane or gutter when I passed was priceless. A good vehicle for the texting, driving wars.
    My 39 would initiate some good conversations with old guys at gas stations. Nobody else seemed to notice it.

13. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

all the homeless people around here just love old cars, its kinda annoying

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Asshats, you are too kind!!! I am way more severe in name calling!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Positive reactions from most. The biggest response I get is I can't believe you drive it like you do like it should be a museum piece or something.

16. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

When I'm driving my Model A or '35 pickup, I get lot's of thumbs up. Whenever I stop for gas or something, I get tons of questions.

17. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Our age and younger definitely. They are so used to panic stops they don't realize it takes a while to stop and a while to go.

I had to fit a nice set of Leslies and a 20 gallon air tank on the greasy side. I only use it as a safety device NEVER just to scare people.

seb fontana likes this.
  18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I find that most people like to see the "old cars"; I have lots of "thumbs up", and I have never had a problem with "idiot drivers", though that may be because I am in North Central Minnesota where things aren't as frantic as the rest of the country. What bugs me is that when I mentioned on the "Ford Barn" that our daily driver (chosen by and bought my girlfriend) was a Kia Soul, a couple of guys over there went ballistic.

19. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

No, the general public doesn't hate old cars. They just drive like morons is all. To many distractions, the feeling of entitlement to go where they want, the single minded desire to get to where they want without regards to fellow drivers.

20. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I can't drive anywhere here in North East Arkansas / South East Missouri in one of our old rides with out being run down for a thumbs up, wave, or a nice comment n the occasional pull beside wanting to what it's got under the hood. Seems like the only ones who don't understand us HAMB's out driving the old rides are like this here far side example... SAME PLANET DIFFERENT WORLDS. image.jpg Like my best friend always said "everybody's normal till you get to know them" . Way I see it we car guys are normal. Flux

Spoggie likes this.
  21. First of all, I think we notice bad driving more when we are driving our old cars. If some a-hole wrecks my 2014 Honda, insurance fixes/replaces it, with my old Dodge not so much! Secondly, I've seen plenty of people driving old cars that I wouldn't give the time of day. If you are having problems with other drivers cutting you off, etc, are you sure it isn't the looks of your car, and/or you that isn't the problem? I knew a local idiot that had a fist with one finger sticking up out of it painted on his trunk lid, couldn't figure out why the cops were stopping him all the time!

Hnstray likes this.
  22. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

...and when legislation comes up that effects the car hobby, civilians will remember that finger!

23. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Awhile back I was on a committee that reviewed the code enforcement rules in our town; including the "Old car/junk" sections. From that experiance I can assure you that there are a bunch of people out there that hate cars in general and old cars in particular.

Some of those people are so right that they would like to ban owning anything over about ten years old and consider anyone that works on cars as some kind of lunitic.

If you really care about your hobby, or passion, get involved. Many times on that committee I felt like a lone voice; I did what I could but was outnumbered about three to one.

33sporttruck likes this.
  24. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

I've found old folks and kids think my truck is pretty cool. Thumbs up and such. I let kids sit in it if they're polite. I find I'm invisible to people in mini vans and suv's.

seb fontana likes this.
  25. last fall I was driving my 46 International, not a hot rod just an old truck, it will top out at about 50 mph unless going down hill. Anyway I was going to the dump and was doing about 50 in a 55 zone, after turning on another road with 2 lanes this guy in one of them new challengers passed me and cuts me off. then slams on the brakes, he slows to about 5mph so I try to pass. after getting the speed to pass and change lanes he cuts me off again. this goes on about 5 times and we get to a light, so of course I get out and offer to kick his ass, and then he drives off quite a bit faster than 5mph. I turned off to go to the dump and another guy at the dump saw the whole thing and got his tag number. Don't know what I could have done with his tag number, should have had my son-in-law to run the number and report him.

26. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

When I'm out in the 55, I find that 90% of people can guess what year Chevy it is to within the 55-57 range, as long as they are 50 years old or older. The younger generation that comments, usually says, I love those old Bel Airs. Then I give my "It's not a Bel Air, it's a 210" speech and their eyes glass over.... you get the point. I am not sure that everybody hates our cars, they just don't get it. Those that do, well that's cool too. I get it, and I will keep on driving them until I'm not able, then maybe one of those young-uns that are into it will take up where I leave off.

27. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

And I thought this was a California problem. In town, driving my late model or the old iron I just drive the posted speed. I'm always tailgated an I don't give a diddly shit. My Dually takes up the whole parking lot as I drive through and that pisses everyone. I just thought the west coast had the selfish self-centered A holes.
    The compliments that come from all ages definitely overshadow the ignorant. I love it when a car full of young kids are all checking out the old car I'm driving and smiling and giving the thumbs up.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I usually got more questions and comments on the 48 or the 51 Merc I had when I stopped somewhere than I had time to deal with. I never gave it much thought and just figured it was part of driving a custom rig. Maybe that 150 is a bit on the "boring" side to local folks or maybe you send off vibes that keep the people away.

Walmart parking lots are the home of self centered idiot drivers who as a rule don't give a damn about any0ne else including the 87 year old using a walker in the marked crosswalk if my last weeks observation is correct when I watched an older gent almost get run over right in front of me as I was walking in the store. I've had more close calls on foot in the local Walmart parking lot than everywhere else combined and I only go there about once a month.

There are rude drivers out there no matter what you drive be it a 70 something beater, 30's roadster or a new off the lot Caddy. I'll admit though that there a lot of bonehead drivers who will buzz up and whip over in front of a rig with 4 wheel drum brakes not considering that it will need twice or three times the space to stop as their 2 year old sports sedan with oversize disk brakes and that is why we gave ourselves that extra space and a half in front of us behind the car in front.

I used to have a 77 Chevy 1 ton 4x4 crew cab with a kinked hood and rusted out front fenders along with what amounted to straight pipes and my wife loved it because Honda Civics never cut her off in a parking lot. That thing was great in traffic because no one challenged it.

29. jroberts

jroberts

I really don't think most people hate old cars. They may not get a kick out of them or even really care for them for themselves, but not hate them. Like so many who have posted here I get lots of positive comments and looks when I'm out in either of my Studebakers. Younger folks ask what they are and admit that they have never heard of that brang of automobile before. Lots of folks want to talk about them and other old cars. Maybe it is a matter of geography and/or culture. All I know is that the positive comments come from a diverse group of folks.

30. Tjames

Tjames

I have found you will always have the few that don't care for hot rods etc. As for my family my 9 and 5 year old can spot a hot rod a mile away and want to drive our 41 Ford sedan all the time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.