Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Ford Coupe Restore

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skrafft74, Dec 27, 2014.

1. skrafft74

skrafft74

I'm just getting started with restoring my dad's 47' Ford Coupe. The body and frame are in really great shape (minus a few problem rust spots on the body). Already have the fenders/hood/trunk primed and ready for paint.

I'm close to priming the body and getting set to work on the frame. The engine (79 Vet 350 small block - tuned to about 450hp) and transmission are in really great shape too. I'll just be rebuilding them and putting them back into the car.

However, looking for suggestions on the best approach to improving the drivability overall, since I don't really plan to race it much. I've seen various threads and it seems to be very divided opinions on what's the best approach to take.

I'd like to have power steering, good brakes (disc). Since I don't have to worry about clearances against the original frame (and in great shape), I'm leaning towards just updating the front suspension with a MII or kit. I've looked at options like - http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/bob-...0/41-48-bolt-on-chassis-parts-2013-37108.html

Suggestions welcome. Photos prior to work beginning are below. I'm looking to keep a similar stance, but likely to make mods to clean it up a bit.

47Coupe-Body-bare.png

2. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Looks like a nice project..
    No suggestions, but good luck !

3. Skrafft: Looks like you've been busy! Car looks real solid. You'll get lots of opinions, some very strong ones. In the end, you need to do what works for you, considering you will likely have the car for a long time. Tim

4. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

love these cars, had 1 just like it in the 80's, another wish i'd kept cars

5. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I like it when the old hot rod stays in the family. Nice coupe!

6. About where I'm at on mine- Suspension and brakes stock- but rebuilt- work well-

7. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I run a MII in my 48 with 11 inch Granada rotors and GM calipers and power steering. I also have sway bars front and rear ( 8-inch granada rear ). Rides and handles great. Good luck.

8. skrafft74

skrafft74

Thanks for the replies! Loved this car growing up, took it out and has tons of memories for me. Can't wait to get it back in action. It's sat a bit for various reasons, but looking to get it back for my dad (Parkinson's). It will mean a lot to take him for a spin when it's done.

@48FordFanatic, thanks for the tips!

9. studebaker46

studebaker46

I love the plan,but please tell me you are going to lose the sidepipes? tom

10. skrafft74

skrafft74

LOL! If you only knew what the interior had inside.

Nope, I hadn't planned on keeping them :)

11. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

I have a mustang 2 under my 47 and it rides great. Chassis engineering rear springs bolt in and work great.

12. missysdad1

missysdad1

You asked for suggestions...

So, if it had been my dad's car (built obviously in the late '60s to early '70s) I'd pretty much restore it to the way he had it...with a minor cleanup here and there...instead of changing it into something he'd probably not recognize - and which would look just like all the other Ford coupes of today.

Yup, I'd keep the Cragars, the white-letter tires and the sidepipes...and even the very distinctive period striping. I'd lower the nose quite a lot to help smooth out the stance and reposition the spotlights, but otherwise I'd leave it pretty much alone. Mustang II and power steering in a '70s car? Not in a million years.

alanp561 likes this.