Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Next Ride ? 38 Plymouth Commercial Delivery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cal78, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Cal78

Cal78
    from Oakley, CA

While Visiting a Friend of mines Property i Spotted this 38 Plymouth Commercial Delivery, its going to need work but it looks worse than it is, if there is rust its only surface rust and all the chrome is in Great Shape, what i'm thinking of doing is making it like look like its a Hot Rod Right out of the 50's, small block engine, Mechanical Carbs, Real Traditional, as for the rest As it was Originally a Texaco Rig, Flat Red Paint with the Logo looking all Faded, new Leather for the Seat, and wood Slats in the Back From Floor to Ceiling, Just wondering what you all Think of the Idea.
    . [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

scotts52, kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  2. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

PLENTY OF POTENTIAL !!!!!!!!! I CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONE SICK OF FORD AND CHEVY PANELS. GO FOR IT

3. The potential is unlimited,I remember seeing one of these in Columbus years ago and it had a shell logo on the doors and a stations name and address on the panels. HRP

4. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Good find. Not many of those pilgrims around. Keep at it and show progress.

5. koachwerks

koachwerks

Flat red paint wouldn't do it justice... Shiny red is the way to go!

s55mercury66 and Hnstray like this.
  6. Second year for Plymouth trucks. I LOVE IT!!!! Looks like an early Tucker Sno-Cat next to it. Those are made right up the street from me.

7. I think that is a sedan delivery, not a panel truck, if it were a panel truck, it would have the "hump-back" body wouldn't it?
    I don't care for fake patina, there isn't one in a hundred that pulls it off so it looks good. Paint her shiny red with the Texaco logos and put a few Texaco oil cans in the back. She'll be an eye catcher!

Put a mopar engine in it also, they ain't that damned expensive!!!!!!!!!

classiccarjack likes this.
  8. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Trust your car to the man wearing the star:D

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  9. What a start! Damn, that car [and it's a sedan delivery] is super solid! I'd love to find one like that. I'm not much for the hokey fake patina and I don't even care too much for the commercial logos on those deliverys. I'd have to do it up nice with great body work and shiny paint I think........
    This coming from the guy who painted his last delivery in gray epoxy primer/sealer but that Plymouth is a lot nicer than my old chevy delivery.

10. Always like the Plymouths, look'in like it could be a great project.

11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Are you asking me? The yes, of course.
    Step back and think about it, you got all the grease monkey and gearheads from all over the World in one place, of course they are all gonna say yes, so what are you waiting for! :D

Do you take pride in you work? Why would you paint a car, and afterwords make it look like you disent?

Get at it lad!

12. sololobo

sololobo

14. If I had the chance this is my vision.

I agree with Volvobrynk

[​IMG]

15. jazz1

jazz1

Nice find on the sedan delivery. Have you got it home and cleared out,,,how's the floor? Likely a rotted wood door frame is why the rear door is leaning against the car. I see a pile of work as I am currently working on a sedan delivery of another breed. It is easy to drag home a car but there are scant few of us who actually complete projects...hope you are up to it.

16. Thats really cool I'm building a 37 Plymouth sedan nice to see another Plymouth I have been looking for a radiator that will fit in the grill shell. Mine also has a small block in it please keep us posted on the progress Thank you subscribed. Jim

17. Oooh! I want that!!

18. waynos

waynos

THATS AWESOME get busy!

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It's an ambitious project , but totally doable . I love it - something different ! Go for it !

20. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Merry Christmas to YOU!!!!! Nice and different.

21. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

Looks like a great project....love the old deliverys...I had a 55 and a 60 chev....I always look at them at the shows....give it a lot of love and you will have a lot of fun with it....stan

22. My book lists this as a "commercial sedan" panel delivery. My list starts at 1939 when 2270 were made. I wonder if this is a late 1938 build and is included in the 1939 numbers?
    In 1940, 2889 were built. Rare bird

23. 64krusty

64krusty

That's a beauty, it really needs a Mopar running gear, a 354 style hemi with a clutch, or even a nicely built slant 6 with a 4 speed would be cool, depending on how much you can spend of course.

24. Picture 16436.jpg Picture 16437.jpg
    Nope. It is a 1938 and was made as a 1938, not 1939.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  25. Retro61

Retro61

Nice find-Congrats!!

26. man that rocks!

27. exterminator

exterminator

I love it not just because I use to have a 38 humpback- yes that is why,oh well.

28. exterminator

exterminator

Oh yeah,hope the rear door is there!

29. Southfork

Southfork

Great Find there. PT-50's and PT-57s (like yours)
    really are rare. I'm going to follow your build, so take good pictures, please.

The rear door may be off of that delivery, but it's hinges wouldn't have come off because of rotting wood. That's steel construction there --- at least it is on my 1937 and 1938 Plymouth Commercial Cars (sedan deliveries). On my projects I'm not yet fully decided on the drive train components, but I have picked up a 360 V8 out of 70's Dodge pickup for the 1937, and I may use a 1959 370 Jimmy inline six in the 1938. I know, MOPAR in MOPAR is suppose to be the way to go, but I like Inline sixes and my 270 Jimmy runs so sweet.

I say keep the patina, if you can. My deliveries have 1940's commercial lettering on them, including a 2-digit phone number on the door of the 1937.

30. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

You don't see too many MOPAR sedan deliveries. It should look a treat when done. A MOPAR in a MOPAR would be nice,