Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Y block power steering ,borgeson.like a drunk on a Friday night

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi 4d, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Apologies pictures are reversed, pic 1 shows bracket we cut off to realign things, pic 2 shows better alignment, pic 3 show the drunk on a Friday night angle. We purchase this Borgeson bracket recently to fit a saginaw power steering pump to a Y block ford. Saginaw pump was new. Y block was all original y block apart from dress up gear. As you can see from the pictures the pump was like a drunk on a Friday night, all over the the place. The first two show how misaligned it was, a little disappointing. The two pulleys were 6 degrees different in angle. The 3rd picture shows I cut off the top support arm that attaches to the water pump bolt and let it swing free and the two pulleys (crank and power steering) the came into correct alignment , both now at 89.9 degrees.
    What's the deal with this, is it our motor or just parts made by Cheech and Chong.

2. I'd say it was made by Cheech or Chong but not both. Pretty sure they got in a tussle and don't work together anymore.

3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Did you contact Borgeson? I would have given them a chance to make it good first, every one has a bad day
    on occasion it is how you handle it that makes the difference between the Men and the Boys.

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We did not purchase this from Borgeson direct but from a dealer, have contacted dealer but as yet (I know it's only a week) have had no response.

5. A lot of misalignment,is there a different crank pulley that would help with alignment? HRP

6. missysdad1

missysdad1

Borgeson is an ultra-reliable company owned and run by hot rodders. If there is a problem they will stand by it. Please, contact the company first. Give them a chance to correct the error before you come here to the HAMB and whine.

7. prpmmp

prpmmp

I don't think he is whining!!He's frustrated and posted on the HAMB for Knowledge!! Yes Borgeson is top shelf and will set it straight!! Hang in there Monday's coming!! Pete

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  8. We have all been in a situation were we are frustrated because we spent our hard earned money and the parts we purchased don't seem to be right,I agree that Borgeson is a good company and they will make it right. HRP

9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No I am not whining as other have posted. Borgeson has a great name . I did not even know the part had their name on it ,when I purchased it with the click of the mouse. Just surprised at the fit when I found the Borgeson name. The crank pulley is new and lines up perfectly with the water pump. Ok the HAMB knowledge bank may tell me I have done something dumb(again) to cause this.
    In reality it was very simple fix so not too concerned.

10. Which was....?

11. It's in the text, Al...
    "The 3rd picture shows I cut off the top support arm that attaches to the water pump bolt and let it swing free and the two pulleys (crank and power steering) the came into correct alignment , both now at 89.9 degrees"

12. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

AM I Missing something? The last pic shows pulleys still out of alignment.

13. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes I did state in first post that the pics were out of order with explanations of each one . Must be something to do with the order I imported them. The pic with correct alignment looks a little out but I think that's due to the camera angle.

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I hear the pain, distance has big disadvantages for us in far flung corners of the universe. Hopefully the dealer will redress the situation ASAP, if not seek a full refund as it just doesn't suit its desired purpose. Let the dealer deal with the manufacturer to resolve as it his problem, not yours.

15. I just installed a kit and nothing fit had to do a pie cut to change the angle to clear the exhaust and align the pulleys had to machine outer dia. of the lower pulley to fit in the stock hub/pulley and drill 4 holes to match also make a 1/4" spacer so the fan cleared. i used the stock steering column and shifter . the steering box had to be shimmed with three different sized spacers to get it in line with the column. the column and shift had to be shortened until it just cleared the firewall the make up a horn as the wire could no longer be run inside of the steering shaft after everything was installed and the car aligned it worked great It wasn't bolt on and Borgeson tech weren't a great help!

16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I presume you were fitting a steering column kit of some sort? To what and which kit?
    My intention in my original post was not to bag borgeson but to ask if anyone else had had problems with the Y block ford power steering set up. I got mine from BAP buy auto parts and they have not replied after two weeks.

17. prez

prez

Go Kiwi 4d
    as I read this you weren't whining at all
    its disappointing and expensive to get sent stuff all this way + doesn't work
    and a big hassle and cost with refitting - reshipping
    by posting on this forum others might be saved the problem

18. I've struck this sort of problem on more than one occasion, it's a real piss off when you order a "direct bolt on" part from overseas only to find it's not as advertised and doesn't ever look like fitting. I now prefer just to make all my own parts..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I had exactly the same issue on a 1957 Fairlane. The misalignment wasn't as severe as yours and I was able to heat and bend the lower tab into place. I liked the whole setup overall and never contacted the dealer or Borgeson. Glad you got yours done but I think they have a sloppy jig wherever that thing is made.

20. i never expect things that are bolt-on to be that! but brackets that are crooked and don't clear the stock exhaust are unacceptable as for the rest in my case it was the first year for the Y block and ford made alot of changes as they went along

21. KIWI how did you make out i tried to post pics but couldn't get it to work. your lucky the motor has ram horns mine had the exhaust pipe crossing over in the front

22. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

You have the wrong pulley on the pump. You need one that sets much closer to the pump face. There are about 10 million different pulleys that fit that pump.

23. enjenjo.. Will moving the pulley closer to the pump fix the angle? Can't see how... as it isn't an alignment problem, but rather an angle issue as I read the pics..

Dave

24. it's the angle that's wrong

25. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All lines up now , just cut off top ear that bolts to water pump and let mount swing to correct angle to be exactly the same angle and plane as the crank pulley.
    The pump pulley is all good , we are only using the inner groove , so should really try to find a single pulley as the double one is only 3/8" or some from the fan. But heck the whole new pump with pulley was only $100 so working with what we have till I find someone with a puller and a pulley.

26. I got my wife to put the pics in a proper file

Attached Files:

27. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At least your belts clear the water pump pulley taper from mount face to belt groove . Ours do clear water pump pulley when the power steer pump is at full extension and even then only by 1/8" or so. If the manufacturer lowered the pump by 1/2" or so it would work nicely. Right now belt flap will sure make the power steer belt contact the water pump pulley.
    If we need a particular pulley or power steer pump we need to know ,to fit as the manufacturer intended. As I see it the fit and clearance is pure guess work.
    I know all old motors have variations but at least tell us what we need to know and parts to use to get the parts to fit.
    Have contacted supplier twice with no reply. The supplier was meridian auto parts in San Diego.

28. i had to drop it to clear the exhaust. i called the company direct and they were not much help just stating that was the kit they made and there were no other or different parts that might fit better.it was far from bolt-on. knowing how much work was involved i would have built it from scratch.

29. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good reply jeff . I was going to make my own bracket but saw this and thought yes a $100 is plenty for a simple bracket but it will bolt on. Still don't know why the power steer belt almost touches the water pump pulley, well it does when the pump is at it's shortest extension. Maybe that's why the bracket was bent!!!

30. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have now braced bracket to exhaust manifold to avoid stress cracks.
    But the bummer is that they made the bracket so a 44" belt was too short and a 45" too long , how clever is that!!!! I have removed bracket and re slotted adjuster to make 44" belt work.
    Borgeson get your act together!!!!!!