Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering a 46 ford bis coupe.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 4rod, Dec 26, 2014.

1. 4rod

4rod

Alright I know there's threads out there but I couldn't finds anything specific. Lowering a stock banjo rear to get it draggen. Thanks.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. missysdad1

missysdad1

Yours is not an easy question to answer. My suggestion would be to hang around here for a while and get to know the pro's and con's of the different ways to "get it draggen". Early Fords are more difficult due to the cross spring and the closed driveline...especially if you want to go really low. There's no quick or easy way, but some ways are better than others. Hang in there with the H.A.M.B., okay?

3. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Remove the leaf "just above" the leaf that connects to the axle shackles and it will drop about 2 inches. At that point you need to check to see if the rear axle will drag on the inner fender well or the back bumper/fuel tank will bottom out when going down the road. These can be tested by having someone bounce up and down standing in the trunk or get two people to sit in the back seat while you (and they) start it bouncing up and down.
    Once you remove that leaf from the spring "pack" your car will no longer be able to carry the same load.
    If you go with a shorter width spring you can "add in" a longer shackle that would allow you to lower the car without taking out the second leaf from the spring "pack".

4. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Several options:
    long shackles (Use the panard bar), remove spring leaves, reverse eye bottom spring, flatten/re-arch the spring , flatten the rear X-member.

5. 4rod

4rod

Missiysdad.
    Thanks for all the info. Guys. Yeah I've been here on the hamb since 06. Haven't seen to many threads pertaining to this. I however have also considered swapping out the rear for a 8.8 maverick or 49/51 shoebox. Might be a bit wider. That said z'ing, c notching and/or cutting the boot floor to gain clearance and retain good travel is optional. I've built a lot of rides however never tackled a ford younger than 50. I know for sure I'll not put in air ride. Thx fellas all assistants Is received.

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Invert the rear crossmember you will lower it about 6 inches.

7. 4rod

4rod

Awe!!! That's what I wanted to hear. Royal shifter thanks. You think I'll need to c notch the frame, remount the shocks or change out the shocks for shorties?

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

So you have a '46 too?
    Post a pic of it,if its not a top secret project?

9. Torchie

Torchie

IMG_0877.JPG Check Jiv'n Jers thread on the Jesse Lopez clone. He flattened the rear cross member and now I think that he is going to inset the rear spring into the new member to get the last few inches that he needs. His thread will give you an idea of what it will look like. No change to the trunk floor or the frame was needed for this mod.
    If you invert the cross member you will most likely need to cut into the trunk floor as It will stick up above the frame rails.
    The pic is of a stock 41 cross member just for reference. Distance from axle housing top to bumper stop is about 9-1/2" with out a load. C-notching may be required. as well with the inverted cross member.
    Torchie.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  10. 4rod

4rod

Hey fin. Yeah picking it up Thursday.