Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical power glide with 305 or 350?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blades, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I now have a 61 Biscayne with the original 235/power glide combo.
    Is it possible to mate that power glide to a 305 or 350?
    What all is involved?

2. Won't be a problem. Somebody will chime in with minutiae but basically the pattern will bolt up

3. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Sittin' here waitin' on Santa. Yeah, bolts right up.

4. Rodshop

Rodshop

Those old Powerglides are tough! Abused a couple a lot in the late '60's and early '70's

5. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Great! I should have asked "what years 305 or 350." trolling CL and i found a bunch of complete and running 70s and 80s cars for under a grand. Figured i'd buy a car, pull the drive train and junk the body

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

No, it doesn't just "bolt right up". The cast iron Powerglides, installed through '62 on some models, use an iron 'adapter plate' between the block and transmission main case. This is true for both 6 cyl and V8 models.

Even IF, and I am not sure this is true, the 6 cyl 'glide transmission case is the same as used on the V8 models,
    you will need the V8 'adapter plate', flywheel, starter, etc. and possibly the converter. The old cast iron 'glides are rugged...I proved that decades ago, but they are heavy, inefficient and obsolete for anything but a total stock installation.

You would be far better off using either an aluminum case Powerglide (began in '62 on some models) or a Turbo 350 or a 2004R/700R4 overdrive automatic behind the 305 or 350 you have in mind.

If you are thinking of buying a running donor car to get an engine, pick the right donor and there will be a suitable transmission attached to the engine from the factory and you can use the matched powertrain.

Ray

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  7. That would be a cast iron powerglide wouldn't it? Thought you would have to have a V8 adapter ring. I've only been wrong once!
    Dang some people can type fast. I know of a V8 powerglide complete.

8. squirrel

squirrel

the iron Powerglide from a 235 Six will NOT bolt to a V8 engine, even if you get the V8 adapter ring. The starter location on the bellhousing is in the wrong place...and the bellhousing is part of the transmission, the valve body bolts to the back of it, it contains the throttle valve assembly, etc.

You ought to get a modern automatic....although if you really wanted to, you could use a cast iron 58-62 Powerglide from a V8 car.

9. Jumped into that one didn't I. Sorry for the bad lead- I guess I was thinking later cases.

10. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

no squirrel is wright will not bolt up, i tried that with a 56 chevy 235 all diff and i had the v8 ring

11. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

All this info is great. Found a 78 Chevy Caprice in running condition for $1300. Its got a 305. Might just buy that one and pull the entire drive train.
    Motor, trans, rear end, front end, and brake system.

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Be careful Blades, I just bought a low mileage 77 caprice for a donor car thinking it was a 350 trans and turn out to be a 200.. They used the 200 trans for 3 years only starting in 77.. The one I bought was low mileage and shifts great, however it is not my transmission of choice.. Just giving you a heads up...

13. indyjps

indyjps

Blades, if you need any stainless for that car, PM me, I think I pulled the trim off a 61 before it was crushed back in the 90's.
    305 and th350 should be a straight forward swap dimensionally, even if the Trans is a 200r4 overdrive the length and Trans mounting should be close enough to use your driveshaft. The 305 will be low compression, with a tiny cam, but 1 5/8 headers, and a 4 barrel with a decent intake will help it, tuning the smog curve out of the HEI will help as well.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Like has already been said, NO, on the cast iron Powerglide. You could find a V-8 cast Iron Powerglide, but weight, price to rebuild, ans it's still a Powerglide. Even an aluminum Powerglide is boring on the street, and I build them for several drag racers. I'd go to a towing yard auction and get a complete, running car with a 350/350 or 700R4 trans; best bang for the buck. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Go see a transmission shop and they w I'll tell you. I got tired of oil streaking on my valve cover and a transmission swapped a power glide with a 700R for $1350.