Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What do I need to account for if not using an original banger motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hardtail75, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

Was planning on using the original motor for my 28 sport coupe. Considering putting a small block into it.

If I go that route, what sort of things must I do to the car so it's safe? Does the frame have to be boxed in? Can I run with everything else original, breaks, suspension, etc?

2. Mullda

Mullda

If you drop a small block in you're definitely going to want to box the front part of the frame. Certainly need to make sure the brakes are up to stopping it too. Disks are my preference, but they are non traditional.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. You'll have to take it easy on the banjo rear and probably split the front bones.Altho I like unsplit.

4. You have a bunch of upgrades to do of you want to run a SBC.

5. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Don't put a Chevy in a ford

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

How about a flathead?

7. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

Can you box the frame with the cross members already installed or must you remove them?

Is the rear end essentially the same on a 31 ford 5 window coupe? I am thinking of putting a more powerful motor in that car and keeping the original in the sport coupe.

Box the frame and new breaks?

What are some other options that are aren't too difficult to acquire and don't break the bank?

I have looked at this but there do not seem to be many for sale in my area. Any other options?

Thank you everyone.

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

You need to search the model A threads and a lot of your questions will be answered...

9. There are some reasons to Box a frame and then there are times I say Don't Do It. It's an over Kill 90 percent of the time. Horse Power will only twist a frame "IF" you have enough tire to hook it to the ground. I've proven that over and over. Also if you only box a short section of a model A frame odds are real good it will crack right where the Box plate stops. I can't advise running stock A brakes even if your running stock tires and wheels. Do us all a favor and do something for an up-grade there. Stock suspension, Hell yes if you like it. Just be sure to have some shocks on all 4 corners. These subjects have been beat to death around here. Everyone has there own ideas. It gets down to how much you can do yourself, what you expect when your done and how much $$$$$ you have to spend. You don't need to spend a lot to have a fun and safe Hot Rod. Just keep it simple. An early Ford v-8 gear box will live in front of a mild small block and bolt to your Model A rear axle. Just don't put a lot of tire on the rear. Keep it simple and don't get caught up in "because everyone else does" and just think about what your doing.
    The Wizzard

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

you really really need a transmission, and rearend to match your sbc and decent brakes. You can use Wilson Welding backing plates and will have good Bendix brakes