Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help needed with tranny selection for a 42 chevy with 292

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by judder_man, Dec 9, 2014.

1. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

I currently have access to 4 tranny's and am looking for something suitable for my 292 for a chevrolet fleetline.

1. stock 3 speed manual.

2. a th400 auto.

3. a munchie 4spd manual.

4. a t5 manual.

The rear axle will be from a cadillac saville town car I've been told is 2.28 to 1.
    I want the car for cruising and to be able to do the distance on the freeway. Ideally I would like to keep the columb shift. I know the rear axle was originally mated to a th400 and I have the Th400 prop. So the 400 install would be the easier option but, is it the right option? Any views?

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ideally, if you want to keep the column shift, you don't have a choice, unless you re-engineer it to shift the 4-speed. With the torque characteristics of the 292, a four speed manual isn't much better than a 3-speed.

If it's my car, I use the T5.

3. squirrel

squirrel

If you use the T5, you'll want to change the gearing in the rearend. You might want to change it anyways, if you like accelerating, or if you use any of those transmissions. A Saginaw 4 speed from a Vega or other 4 cylinder car would have enough low gear ratio to help you get moving with those 2.28s

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Unless you never intend to use 5th gear in the T-5, the OD will not work well with the 2.28 axle.
    Also, unless you swap out the rear disc brakes on the Seville rear, they are troublesome and expensive to repair. My suggestion is to rethink your rear axle choice.

Ray

5. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

I'm in the u.k. so tranny's limited. I can set the th400 up to (fake) use the columb change easily. really looking for compatibility. like I said, acceleration isn't my goal. cruising towing a camper and distance traveling is my main concern. Views appriciated. Thanks

6. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Thanks ray. I intend to swap out the calipers for something european for ease of replacement.

7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

8. oldsman41

oldsman41

with that rear gear the 400 would be ok. anything overdrive ie the t5 final like 1.59 to 1 wow would take some torque to keep that thing rolling in a head wind or up hills. might even want to gear up a little if possible say a 3.23 or 3.53 with the t5

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I understand your predicament being in the UK and not having quite the access to parts we take for granted in the US. However, I don't think it serves you very well to put something together that will not serve your stated goals.

I am familiar with the Seville rear axle, I have one. The 2.28 ratio was a '79 model year item and the 400 turbo was built with the commercial/RV planetary set that has a 2.75 1st gear to help with the tall rear end. The stock 400 turbo 1st gear is 2.48. The other thing is, the turbo 400 absorbs more horsepower, some say 16% more, than 350 turbo. In addition, the 350 has a 1st gear around 2.76 as I recall. And the 350 is smaller and lighter. A rear end ratio in the range of 2.78 to 3.23 ish would be a good compromise for cruising and towing, if the camper is not very heavy.

Considering the long production run of 350 turbos, I would think that may be obtainable in your Country. Were parts not so hard to find, I'd recommend a rear end gear about 3.50 to 3.73 and an overdrive trans, either a T-5 manual, or a 2004R automatic (2.74 1st gear). Either combination would provide the flexibility to meet your varied goals.

Ray

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  10. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Thanks ray I'll do some digging n find out what's available

11. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Got a offer of a complete car 4.3 V8.1978 olds cutlas salon. I Can shelf the v8 for a later project but any ideas on making the tranny and axle work with my 292 straight 6 failing that I also have the iption of a v8 88 Lincoln

12. squirrel

squirrel

The olds probably has a 260 Olds V8 engine? The transmission would be a non-overdrive type, either a TH200 or TH250 or TH350, is my guess. It would have the BOP (buick olds pontiac) bolt pattern, which does not bolt to the Chevy engine without an adapter..but the adapter is not very expensive, it's just a plate and a space for the torque converter, iirc.

first thing would be to figure out what the engine is...easiest way is to take a picture of it, and post the picture here. GM put all kinds of different engines in different make cars at that time, although by the late 70s they were pretty careful to put only Oldsmobile engines in Oldsmobiles, since the geezers who bought them wanted a "rocket" engine.

The rear axle should be the 7.5" ten bolt, probably with a gear ratio in the 2s, but since the engine it was originally used with is even smaller than your six, it should work ok for general driving around. Won't accelerate real well, but will go down the highway nicely. The width will probably work in the 42 chevy, you may need wheels with a bit of offset, as most "mag" wheels have. I had a similar rear in a 39 chevy with 15x7 wheels, it fit pretty well.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Thanks I'm staying traditional wheel wise 6" artillery's so should have room for adapters
    The rear axle is a 10 bolt but skinnier in the shafts than any other I've ever seen also it is factory 4 bar with spring perches. I'll try get a pic of engine.

14. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, the rear is very light duty....

15. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Could possibly land a Saginaw 4 speed but waiting on code confirmation

16. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Attached Files:

17. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Attached Files:

18. T 5 they have a lo 1st if it's from a s10 do the reR gears will not b a problem

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Still considering changing my rear axle if I come across something suitable but turns out the th400 I have came out of an rv can any one tell me how to de code the trany and where to look for the code thanks

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That RV TH400 very likely will have the 2.75 first gear planetary set. That is a good thing!
    There should be a data tag along the right rear of the case, just above the pan line.

Ray