Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pictures of Cars For Sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Dec 23, 2014.

1. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Ya know, it's all part of the hobby.. I too am upset when it's not as described but on the other hand I have been pleasantly surprised sometimes at how nice they were.. The chase can be as rewarding as the find in my opinion...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Smitty's32

Smitty's32

For sale ads are worthless without pictures, but even worse are the ones without prices. "Make offer" doesn't get it. Just tell us how damn much you want for it. If there's no price listed it's a good bet the price is so outrageously high the seller is embarrassed to put it in the ad.

3. 270283

One of my favorites is the nice shiny car with wet ground around it and no wet ground outside of a five foot radius of the car. I've even seen ads where the hose is still laying by the car.

bobwop likes this.
  4. Tony

Tony

Sick or not, you make good points.
    Can't tell how many times i've scrolled through reading a good write up, but crap pics that dont depict any real details.
    Just happened the other day...
    I was checking out a HIGH dollar car in the classifieds,and the write up stated painted and detailed underside...yet no pics.
    Granted, i dont have the cash for the car in question but at the asking price that was given there should have been some serious detail photo's of the undercarraige.

I do that even if the car i'm listing isnt high dollar....it gives the potential buyer that much more to go on with the decission.
    Its a small thing that really dont effect anything, but it would be nice to see ALL aspects of the car.
    Tony

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to say that is a pet peeve of about 90% of us while the other 10% are the ones posting those adds.
    Sometimes crappy photos and a really poorly written description work in the buyer's favor though. I bought my sailboat off Ebay 12 years ago for less than half the going price for the little outboard on it simply because the seller posted 3 crappy cell phone photos and a terrible description of it on Ebay. After throwing out an I won't get hurt no matter how bad it is bid I got the boat for what amounts to an Austin Hamber's weekend beer money.

I agree though, take decent photos, clean the damned thing up and out and don't drape a bimbo over the fender thinking it will attract a buyer.

6. Slopok

Slopok

Rare, Only one of it's kind, Over $40,000 invested, Illness forces sale, Sacrifice $3,500 or Best Offer......

7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Glad the moderators let this thread stay..
    Lots of good accurate comments here too :)
    Don't want to Hi Jack my own thread, but would like to add one more big no no.
    And that is the Idiots that show up and try to buy your car for nothing.. :(
    Last year I had a '52 Willys M38A1 for sale on CR.....priced at $6850, with very good pictures showing everything, and a very accurate description pointing out pro's and cons.....this is a really nice rig.
    Lots of calls and I want to buy it, but no one had cash...so stays on CR for a while.
    Then some meat head calls, very interested, talks to me several times about it...stresses that he has cash and lives ~75 miles away..... (nope not my buddy Bobwop) :) Bahahahha......
    Guy finally shows up with his ~20 year old kid, all bulked up like the Hulk Hogan boyz from Saturday Night Live...who proceeds to look at everything in my shop EXCEPT the Willys....
    Meanwhile the Dad, who again tells me he has CASH....looks it over carefully...
    We go for a ride...a really long one, as he was driving and really enjoying it...and blah blah blah...
    Finally we get back to my garage, and he changes completely...
    Well he says, it has a lot of issues...to which I say ...No it doesn't .
    Then Your price is way out of line....and I say.....No it isn't.
    Then...Well I am thinking $4000 is a very fair price for it...to which I say....Ain't gonna happen...
    Now cut to another 5 or so minutes....and I say see ya...I got better things to do today.
    He says...Well, you have my phone number, so talk it over with your wife, and give me a call (can you believe that crap) ...I think we can deal....to which I say....HEY I don't need to talk this over with my wife. And when you leave, your phone number will be in the trash, and for the last time....IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN....you been watching too much TV...
    What a dipshit....
    Probably a good thing, as after that I decided to keep it anyway.....
    Oh, and feeling a lot better today....damn flu.... :)

bobwop and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. 2935ford

2935ford

.....you guys sure got the laughs out of me on all this......:) :) :)

9. .........................Hey, It's what we do.:)

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree with all-I have looked at cars for folks from time to time as a favor but always am nervous as to their opinion after the fact. Some are totally misrepresented and not worth much more than scrap price. I have driven a loooong way to look at a car that looked good in pics and sellers description with a trailer and cash-drove home with my cash and an empty trailer-c'mon people -be factual.. I try to take the best pics I can for them and point out what I can. Still people's opinions vary greatly. Last one I was involved in we had the guy bring the car here and put it on jackstands-took a ton of pics underneath and all the other areas as well. I think it turned out well.

bobwop and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. WOW, good eye, needed the laugh today. Merry Christmas everyone!!

12. pitman

pitman

Mr.Chev: Sorry to hear you got took! :p

13. Hey! I resemble that remark! I love Hawaiian shirts! :p

14. indyjps

indyjps

I look at the shit ads as opportunities and call anyway. Maybe the ad won't draw much attention, but the phone call can tell a lot. Does the current owner know the car inside and out but isn't computer savvy, is the ad posted by an heir or spouse who doesn't give a shit about the car and just wants it gone. Both could be a good deal.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  15. Like Indy says- I usually imagine somebody being dictated to while typing the ad but not listening (or comprehending) and putting down a bunch of words that are similar to the ones they're being told. Then some really close up pics of nothing helpful and no pics of the engine, interior, etc.

16. I totally get your rant, I see ads for bookoo money and then what you see is a fuzzy shot of something that really doesn't seem to go with the price or description or nothing at all.

I probably am not much better I think I have two pics posted on my current ad, I could have more but my thoughts is one not to take up too much band width and the other which is no doubt closer to the truth than the band width deal is that if someone is interested they will get in touch. So far no one has gotten in touch so I guess no one is interested.

There are other things aside from the pics that bother me about class ads but they have to do with the fact that I obviously live on a different planet than some of my HAMB Bros and not on topic for this or any other rant for that matter. ;)

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

My favorite is the ad being posted with the main picture being a really, really nice looking car. Price is good, you click on it and find that the first pic is noted as "First picture not the actual car, but what it COULD look like" then you look at the pics of the actual car for sale and it's not even close to being worth the price you thought was pretty good a second or two before. We all know what one looks like done!

Turnipseed and bobwop like this.
  18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That's generally the case, however I got lucky that way just about a month ago with a used welder. The ones I wanted were all in the 1k range except one that just said make offer. I thought alright, you want to play that way, and offered 300. He wrote back 600 was his rock bottom. Friday rolled around, got another email back, 'moving, tomorrow only I'll take the 300. I think a lot of people just didn't bother with him without a price listed.

19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Agree on the price comment.I don't really care on the pic stuff because if I am serious I'll be seeing it in person anyways,but jeez,put a price in the ad.No price....it must be free!

20. Always a hoot when the goober selling a car without a title says "its easy to get one". Right. That's why it doesn't have one

21. BigMikeC

BigMikeC

22. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Ill take it, how much?

23. oh....and those CL listers that list the damn thing 20 times with somewhat different listings and it's priced the same - tooo much - but got to have this much whatever.....went to look at one a week or so ago.....he's a flipper - not what I would call a hobbyist....sorry to let off....

24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

many on-target comments in this thread. And there are many more pet peeves for me. Thanks for the compliments and a big public thank you to Tim (olscrounger) for the California inspection. It absolutely turned out great.

25. fuzzface

fuzzface

My pet peeve is when they don't use a current photo. a while back I was looking at hudsons on that famous auction site and a guy had a lot of 4 of them that was local to me. I thought they looked familiar and then it dawned on me when I looked at the background. I went to a house demolition sale next door to these cars 14 years ago and that is at least how old his pictures were. how did I know? I walked over and brought the truck that was in the background of his pictures when I was at the demo auction. I drove past the cars at a later date when I was in the area and they were nothing like the old pictures, they were really starting to rot badly into the ground.

26. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THX for the comment Bob-glad you are pleased-glad to help too-was real close to here and a damn nice little 40.

bobwop likes this.
  27. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Ran when parked cracks me up, there're parked for a reason. Or the "barn find" title term which seems to be standard description must. I like the term "ratrod" saves me the time to not click on the ad.

bobwop likes this.
  28. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

'ready for restoration'... i like that. good term for my cars.

29. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Easy restore, $50,000 dollar car when finished. I must be doing something wrong.;)

30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Four door ads that forget to mention it.

[​IMG] .