Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT? CB Radio in your Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zumo, Oct 26, 2007.

1. An earlier post mentioned running heat, if close enough to the source it will play hell with TV's, radio's etc. Years ago had a guy in front of me at a traffic light with his antenna mounted on the bumper, every time he keyed up my jeep would damn near stall. Guess it was messing with the computer. I knew it was him, came through loud and clear on the radio. Never knew people were still using them. Might have to pull out my old Road Talker.
    You could go 19th century traditional and use morse code The wire would be a drag though

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Wow, 7 year old thread.:) I don't have one in any of my personal vehicles anymore except for my motor home, but still run one in my semi. Thing is, the younger generation of truckers don't even run CB's anymore, so sometimes you can go for miles before anybody will answer you.

I remember my Uncle having Johnson radios in all of his vehicles back in the early 60's. He was a plumber/electrician, and had a base unit at home that my Aunt would call him on with service calls. When I got my first car in 1975, first thing I bought for it was a 23 channel CB. Was never without one until about 10 years ago, then I just quit using them.

3. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

The Class D Citizens Band radio service, on 27 Mhz, began Sept. 11, 1958, so the radios could have been used in a rod in the sixties...

4. raymay

raymay

My Brother and I as well as several friends we traveled with ran CB radios in our Streetrods. Our families including our kids all had handles like RJ, Meatball, Candy Man, Mr. Bones, Pork Chop, AJ, and Miss Piggy. The kids enjoyed talking to their cousins or friends in the other rods that were traveling with us. The adults tried to keep the group from getting lost and deciding where to make stops. On trips down south on the old 2 lane route 15 in PA, one car would lead and let the others know when it was safe to pass. If you were riding the "rocking chair" (the last car) there was sometimes some close calls on making those passes.
    By the late 90's they seemed to get very little use. In 2000 I sold our Chopped 37 Chevy at a show in Rhinebeck and left the CB in the car. In 2011 I found the car in Connecticut and bought it back. When I took it for a test drive, the CB was still in the car. I turned it on and found it still set on channel 19.
    It has since been removed and sits in one of my auto flea market boxes waiting for someone to want to enjoy it as much as I once did.
    scan0003 (2).jpg IMG_3058.JPG

5. Raymay....running in the "rocking chair" was in the middle of the pack,not the tail end.10-4?

6. raymay

raymay

Thanks wbrw32, It was a long time ago so I stand corrected. The last vehicle was "The Back Door". I do remember it was not the position that I liked to drive in especially when we had a large group.
    Found this cool flashback guide for CB slang. Check it out. 10-4

http://flashbak.com/your-official-guide-to-1970s-cb-slang-961/

7. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Me and a friend have CBs setup to be able to put in our cars for long trips. Easy to take out and store away once we reach our destination. Much easier to use and quicker than cell phones.

8. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

1958. Back then you had to apply to the FCC for a license to operate. I had the first class D license issued in the Northwest. There were no radios commercially available on the market so a friend and I were manufacturing them.

I still have one in my truck because we are required to have one in the push truck at Bonneville.

9. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Hi Oilcan getting any snow yet? I have used a CB here on the farm for 40 years. Out here in corn field Indiana , Some time there is no reception for your cellphone so thank goodness for the old Cobra 40 channel. Put one in your Hot-Rod you will love it.

10. I've had one in the coupe since its been on the road with a screw in antenna. It sure can't be beat on a cross country run when traffic comes to a stop. Just get on the CB and ask the truckers for all the information you need. exit to get off what mile marker the accident is at. Truckers have great info to help you out.

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

My brother and I run CB's in all our cars...all you need do is pick up a microphone, hold the switch and talk...no need to dial a number or figure out how to turn on a phone...we both use antennas that mount on the lip of the trunk and we can take them off and store them in the trunk at night while in a motel. Have never gone cross country without one...

R-

12. jazz1

jazz1

My avatar is the antennae topper for my cb whip on my '41 IHC. I have cb's in my personal vehicle as well as my big rig,,,,no cell service on the river....