Register now to get rid of these ads!

Odd ball hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ghost28, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Ghost28

Ghost28

A few more projects worked on for the buick. It seems I have been bouncing aroung with this car, maybe because I am building this car on a budjet and I also tend to get bored with some things and just go onto another area of the build, either way I am getting some things worked on. The floor board is installed from the trunk to the toe board so I decided to start the engine mock up this way I can check if I am gonna need a trans tunnel. (I will probably need a small tunnel.) The front engine mounts on the chassis are lined up and tacked in place. I used a 1 3/4 piece of chrome molly tubing for the engine cradle and built the mounts off this, and the frame. The old mounts on the engine will have to be adjusted and cleaned up.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and Kevs56 like this.
  2. Great progress John. Nice work on the floor. Weird weather out your way, sunny working with the garage door open one day then snow the next!

3. Man, that's looking good. Nice progress.

4. Ghost28

Ghost28

I keep chugging along on the buick. I decided the transition from the door closure area and the rear boot needed some attention. I used some brake line tubing to shape the transition area and then covered it with sheet steel. It still needs some detailing but at least it's got the shape. I then started to shape the door closure area at the top gap.

Attached Files:

5. That's looking really good! The Buick is going to be a head-turner, for sure. :)

6. hallrods

hallrods

I like the fenders great job on the car!

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Outstanding looking buy / build! But I'd go for the little Al-U-minimum V-8 if I could. Gary

8. Love those Buicks!!!

9. Ghost28

Ghost28

A little more. I installed the slim line bear claws on both doors and that went well. What I am trying to do is use the original 26 buick outside door handles along with the bear claw latches, and it's looking like it will work great. I also figured out the placement of the brackets to frame for the split bones, and in the process I figured out I had the spring crossmember crooked in the frame, so with a few well place cuts I had a remedy, and using a tape measure and degree wheel the front suspension alighned out well. I feel I dodged the bullet on that one. I was going to fire up the 62 buick 401 engine on my garage floor, but what I figured out is I need a 64 to 65 401 starter to work with my bendstens 4 speed adaptor. oops. I did get a leather bench seat from my local scrapper in trade for some of my scrap metal.

Attached Files:

10. Ghost28

Ghost28

Well I have been trundling away on the buick roadster. The frame is done and painted for the most part. Installed the body mount bolts, triangulated rear suspension, coilovers, front suspension. engine and transmission, steering box. I am waithing for the gears to finish the rear axle. I did fill all the holes in the firewall except for a few that I think I will reuse. The brakes on the 57 ford axle are not easy to come by, and even harder to get all the small parts if they are missing. I did manage to ge em rebuilt.

Attached Files:

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey. some progress is better than no progress. Keeping the project going is number 1.

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As for the 'Odd Ball', putting a Nail Head in it makes Oh so right though! Hell, putting a Nail Head in the Millennium Falcon wouldn't be 'Odd Ball!!'

(The not so right :p)
    Doc.

13. Ghost28

Ghost28

I agree some progress is better than nothing at all. Most of what I have done has been in the last month . In the last week I built a new dash because the old one had a lot of old guage holes and it was rather thin metal, but the new guage configuration looks like something from the mickey mouse club. I think I can clean it up with the guages and by using the head light and ignition switch in between the large guages. The doors and body still had quite a bit of flex so I added some 1 inch by 10 guage metal to the edges this will also give me a place to mount the upholstery in the future. After checking the T 5 transmission location to the floor a small trans tunnel was needed, I also cut out for the shifter location.

Attached Files:

14. Cool project, man.

15. First thought! You won't have 7 plastic copies parked around you at every show you take it to.
    Second thought! When you get it all done, at the first show you take it to there will be someone that says to you, "I know where there is one just like that"! If you check it out, it will be a rotten 38 Ford sedan.

16. Ghost28

Ghost28

I decided I didn't like the original height of the windshield posts so I cut 3 inches out of them along with the upper frame. I had some tubing and bent it for the removable top cage mock up. now that it's tacked in place. I will study it for awhile to see if I like it.. I had these fenders sitting around but they weren't originally for a buick car and did not fit real well on the drivers side because the arch was a litle tighter than the passenger side. I had to split the fender into a couple of pieces, and cut a couple of relief cuts, but it all better now and I thnk I will use them. I am still looking for 28 buick front fenders.

Attached Files:

Kevs56 and kiwijeff like this.
  17. Looks very nice. Good work on this. A little at a time, and ever closer to done!

18. Ghost28

Ghost28

Been getting after it again. I decided to try the front 26 fenders I have and see if they could be fixed. The drivers side was usable, but the passenger side, I had to use two fenders to make one and they will still need considerable work. I did cut them and made new mounting brackets so they will sit lower on the frame and over the tire. In my shed of parts I found a set of 32 chevy splash aprons, even tho they were short in length I was able to fix this, and got them to fit the flow of the fenders up front

Attached Files:

19. Awesome stuff John.
    Love this car, and I'm liking the new windshield height.

20. David Chandler

David Chandler

It's looking good from here. But I never saw a spoiler mounted on a windshield before. Like the other said bob the rear fenders a bit after you know where the roll pan that you mentioned will be.
    Good Luck!

21. Ghost28

Ghost28

The spoiler as you called it is original to the winsdhield of this car, and I most likely will keep it. I have been getting a few other items checked off. The running boards are fabricated along with the damaged trailing edge of the front fenders where the boards mount. The clutch and brake pedal from an 89 camaro is mounted and will give me the hydraulic clutch I need. Gas pedal is from a 89 buick, and I replaced the camaro shift arm with an old hurst indy style for that old hot rod look, other that that a lot of welding and hammering on the fenders. I did fabricate a grille insert for car. Have a look.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  22. Fr. Buick

Fr. Buick

I am so stoked to find your helpful posting!! For a good 8 years I have been collecting on a similar project with a '24 Buick roadster and a 425 Nailhead. You gave me great ideas on how to brace the body, thank you!!!

Just wondering about the radiator inset you made. Will it get enough air through all that to cool a big engine? Kind of like trying to breath through your clenched teeth, I'm wondering?

23. Ghost28

Ghost28

Thanks Fr.Buick. Good luck on your 24 roadster. The openings are about 1/2 inch wide and should get enough air through to cool the big engine, plus I have a rather large new 3 core radiator for a 34 chevy to help with the cooling. It fit's great.

24. Ghost28

Ghost28

I decided on 49 to 51 ford tail lights for the buick for three reasons. They aren't used nearly enough on hot rods, they fit the curve of my fenders, and are large enough to let the people behind me know I'm there. I also cut the rear window shape out of a metal panel and tacked it place so I can stare at it for a few days to see if I really like it.

Attached Files:

25. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Damn John, I been asleep at the switch. Didn't know you had a build thread goin on this thing, just found it. Excellent work thus far, you've made a helluva lot of progress since I last talked to ya. Buick body with Buick power, just the refreshment that the hamb needed. Kev

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Ghost28

Ghost28

Thanks Kev. The buick set for awhile, but in the last three months I have been gettin after it. I hope to at least run it around a little this next spring and summer. I hope the holidays and the new year will be great for ya....John

27. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Great looking build! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

28. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

That grill you designed and made is fantastic!!!

29. Ghost28

Ghost28

Thanks guys. I spent the morning making paterns for the 20 guage steel roof underlayment, and the afternoon cutting and installing the metal portion. When this is finished the rag top material will lay over it so it will still have that rag top look. With only six bolts holding it down I should be able to take it off once in awhile and leave it at home.

Attached Files:

Kevs56 and loudbang like this.
  30. Ghost28

Ghost28

I finished up the metal on the roof of the buick, and finally got the rear gears installed so I could get the axles and brakes installed and make it a true roller.

Attached Files:

Kevs56 likes this.