Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cuban Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

3. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Rare Cuban iron under a banana tree

Attached Files:

4. verde742

verde742

seems like every time I see any article about Cuba, there is always a different 4 door Chevy hardtop in the picture.. must be where most of them went...

5. khead47

khead47

Gull Wing MB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy shit!

6. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

The Mercedes resto bunch will be going after that Really rusty but the Holy Grail of Mercedes guys

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  7. If I recall correctly, that was Papa Hemingway's old car.

National news last night, CBS I think, a reporter was riding around in fine '56 4-door hardtop Bel Air.

8. I'm gonna be down there in a couple weeks-should be interesting...

9. smoked1

smoked1

Check this old Cuban Chevy truck out! Oh yeah its a 2 door for all you 2 door lovers!
    Nope here is their navy! old chevy in ocean.jpeg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. See, all of the 2-doors are leaving Cuba!:D

11. Yep me too. Some in pretty good shape and others held together with bail wire and chicklets.

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that there will be way more cars exported to Cuba that imported from Cuba.

12. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

I ve been to cuba three years ago and i think it would be a crime to import cars from there. The whole country is a kind of time capsule, go there and see, what i mean. If the country around the cars would have changed, it would be ok, but cuba is an overall artwork. It would be like taking the Mona Lisa picture out of the frame.....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

And believe me, let us not wear our noses too high - there are mechanics in cuba , that have mechanical skills, the average mechanic joe is dreaming of. Like many people from the former GDR have, its quite the same situation, after they tore down the wall here in Germany, we western boys ignored their skills born from a resourceful way of thinking. But luckily its coming back.....

14. Well, the rot can't be too bad if that 57-58 Chrysler is still rolling, those were notorious for all kinds of rot, a lot of the ones up here the rear 1/2 of the frame is shot.

15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I agree with you on the export/import issue. If the embargo is lifted, first chance they get, those Cubans are going to buy new (or newer cars) and they'll most likely junk all those old cars. They need the newer cars and we don't really need those old cars, we have enough of them here at home, so the hot market is going to be selling newer cars to the Cubans.

16. That pic is actually taken in Mexico not Cuba. No Datsuns that new in Cuba.

17. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Air shocks are still all the rage in Cuba I see!!!

18. .....................................It's either that or 4-wheel drive chassis!:eek:

19. Road Runner

Road Runner

It's gonna be worse than the 60s and 70s here, when most anything worn out and not up to date was either junked or sold cheaply.
    And even most usable cars will be junked or kept as memorial long before its gonna be legal and feasible to import to the US.

But will there be another 'Cuban barn find', other than the one shown on Google ?
    Maybe more ?
    I'm not holding my breath.

20. Blackhawks38

Blackhawks38

Hello Forum Members

I spend 4-5 weeks a year in Cuba. I have been taking Chevy and Ford parts for over 20 years. Years ago we finished a 55 Chevy and just did a 56 chevy.

We put a 5 litre Mercedes engine in the 56. it has 5 on the tree. We are now working on a 59 Impala as well as a 52 Chevy

I am very good friends with the head of Customs so I do not have problems taking parts. I also work with 2 orphanages in Matanzas Cuba. 99% of all the cars have Toyota, Lada, Yuskovich, Kia, Etc....... They Look like Ford's and Chevy's inside and out but most of the parts are of another vehicle.

They are now reproducing Tri-Chevy bumpers. you can get a complete set for under $300 US. the quality is amazing.

Remember Havana has a HUGE Black Market............. My best friend traded his Pig for 4 Bf Goodrich Tires.......brand new for his 1960 Corvair. 99% of all cars are 4 doors.

I have been taking Belair badging for over 15 years now.........as all the Cubans want their cars to be Chevy Belairs.

headed back in the New year to finish the 52 Chevy as well as get a few of my parts Chromed for my 57 Wagon... My best friends brother works for Cohiba so most of my friends get nice Cohiba's for any car parts.

I remember 10 years ago I took an under-dash blower out of a T-Bird........Customs thought is was a home air conditioner.......it was seized for over 6 months...... It is now in the 56 Chevy which is used as a Taxi in Veradero.

One of my best friends who is a mechanic in Santa Marta does a booming business.

I Love the Cuban people and hope to retire their soon as my best friend Jose built the second floor of his new home for me and my wife.

Low grade diesel is about 40 cents a gallon on the black market.

21. $ 5,890 is the gross national income per person and the population is 11 million. So how many folks pool together to buy 1 $20,000 econobox?
    ----------------------------------------------------
    ("Average" means 1/2 the folks make more and 1/2 make less - ) the average income is $22.00 a month.

You could live 4x better there for 100 a month. Live like a prince for 1000 a month, and live like the king of Cuba for 2000 a month.

Can't see many Cuban car purchases but what the hell do I know?

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  22. catfishdog

catfishdog
    from Miami

Million mile daily drivers for over 50 years. Yes I sure do want one, maybe not.

23. harley rider

harley rider

after looking thru this thread all I can think is .Thank god I live where I do.

24. 31vicky is right. What sort of big boom in sales could there be to a person that lives on a dollar or two a day?
    I was talking about Cuba with my uncle this morning- I said why do they have to wait for the US to sell them a bunch of Chinese parts to fix their old cars with. He described the economy there that they can't afford it were ever it come from.

25. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

in the 70's when a lot of cars were brought in from so. america, a local guy bought a lot [7-8] of them, the 30's cars were hard to tell what they were because they would make a part to just get by, 2 deiff. fenders on same car [johny cash cadillac],cuban cars prob. the same. i did buy a, 34 cabr., and 34 rdst. that came from argentina, actual bodies were good but fend., rng. bd. eng., brakes etc. were bad.

26. Blackhawks38

Blackhawks38

Most people in the Tourist industry make $17.00 per month. I rent a large 3 bedroom home for $400 per month which icludes the cook and cleaner.

I just go to the local market for my food. If you know how to get arround like a Local you can live like a KING for under $600 a month... that include all your travel and all your beer, food, great rum. Remember Cigars are 5 cents a piece and Cigarettes are 45 cents a pack. I enjoy spending time at the once a month Auto parts Black market sale.... Up until this year the Cuban Government would destroy all Toruist, government, taxis etc after 5 years......... That is how we got the engine for the Chevy. We went to the Mercedes dealer and before it went to the crusher we took the engine out. Payment was in Rum, Red Snapper and Lobster. Both Lobster and beef is illegal in your home... We buy Lobster tails on the Black Market for $8.00 a dozen... but remember these are the spiny type.

its a fantastic place to go......... Some fantastic Cooks in Cuba. Most of the Locals take me to local homes where the back door is used and then inside is a nice Cantina.

For my 50th Birthday 4 years ago my friend rented out a Coffee Plantation.. The meal served 20 people with a Pig on a spit and Chicken, Rice and beans and Salad and a Huge Birthday Cake Total cost for the whole event was $30.00 CUC's which is the tourist Peso. The Cuban peso that the Locals use is 25 to 1 CUC's............. Most Cubans make between 400-500 peso's per month.

Merry Chistmas to all........... if anyone has plans to go.......just email me. I have many friends in the Matanzas, Veradero Area.

27. jazz1

jazz1

Cuba does not stamp your passport...... I agree bailing wire and chicklets holding a lot of those cars together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.