Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's your favorite part of a build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Dec 16, 2014.

1. camerl2009

camerl2009

for me on any project I love doing sheet metal work I love bringing back "scrap" from the dead it also gives me plenty of time to sit and think

2. smoked1

smoked1

When it's focking done! nuff said!

3. ChefMike

ChefMike

great thread! all of it especially when thiungs are going right when there not I grab a beer aand call it a day !

4. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Gotta be the thrill of the hunt....

5. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Maybe you should think about converting your business to a cathouse and raising cats full-time. They all look terrific.

6. rooman

rooman

I like the whole process from taking 4130 tube and sheet aluminum and making it into something that lives but the best part is seeing it go down the track and run a number.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Figuring how to make this one work was a bit of extra fun
    [​IMG]
    Not so much fun when the driver gets it wrong but at least he did it during qualifying
    [​IMG]

Most fun, getting to drive a car that I built at Bakersfield
    [​IMG]
    Roo

saltflats likes this.
  7. the hustle.

making deals, meeting people, taking trips, making money, creating projects. its a never ending cycle.

Squablow likes this.
  8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well I just realized this morning how much I enjoy trying on different wheels and tires. Sorta like a chick trying on shoes I guess. 1204141245.jpg

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  9. afaulk

afaulk

10. Pinstripe_Chuck

Pinstripe_Chuck

Final assembly...... all the dirty work is done, fab, paint, etc. I like to really take my time with final assembly, making sure everything is right. Quite enjoyable watching it all finally come together.

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

My favorite part is when SHIT isnt going wrong!!!!!

12. Slopok

Slopok

Receiving your first compliment when your vision becomes a reality.

13. least favorite part is being done and driving it. I love all the steps up 'til that point. I enjoy driving a finished car, but would rather be working on another one by then.

junk and JimSibley like this.
  14. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Probably the first time it can move, but also any time when the answer for the "how do you do this or make this work?" questions come.

15. BAJ

BAJ
    from Ontario

My favorite part is the hunt. I will have a vision of what I am going to build, but while I am hunting for the pieces, I'll see something that will take me in a different direction. Also, it's always cool to take the first ride.

16. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

2 things I like the most, OK 3 all the same satisfaction. I like chassis work, especially when I have some freedom in parts selection. Getting it on the jig table and let the fun begin. First fire of a newly built engine.
    And I love it when friends say, "That's never going to work" or " That's not going to fit " , next time they come by there it is.
    Another turn on is finding a use for all the junk around the shop.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sheet metal repair and restoration of original stuff. I hate repro sheet metal parts. Sometimes you can only go so far with common tools, but I like to go past it as much as possible. I even prefer replacement metal from a donor that needs a bit of work. Ever wrestle with a 33-4 Ford repro front fender? So light and flimsy I can lift it with 1 finger. JUNK!!

18. Get 2 and glue them together :)

19. jazz1

jazz1

The road trip! Finding the next project and dragging it home. After that it is just a hobby to keep me out of the titty bars and brothels until i can drive it out of the garage. [​IMG]

20. Deuces

Deuces

Assembling a 450 +HP motor in the clean room... The garage! :):)

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I enjoy every part of it, but not always while doing it because sometimes shit just doesn't want to go together like it should. Then when I am past that point, it feels so good and it is on to the next task.

22. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I enjoy the entire process but really getting into the detail fabricating that perhaps only other builders get. Of course driving what you built but I'm usually planning the next one once I get to that point. The key is to have one driver at all times to avoid burnout and have several projects.

23. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Absolutely if space and budget will allow, and to avoid the temptation to to dig into that one before the current project is back on the road.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where were you when I needed ya...! :cool:

25. JimSibley

JimSibley

I think the key is to always have goals or milestones in the build. I find that the initial mock up is almost intoxicating. The drive to see what you have dreamed up,built is amazing. After this point many hobbiests lose momentum and the project dies. The next step
    Separates the men from
    The boys. This step of course is turning the art into a car. Brake lines, metal work, steering and the dreaded wiring. This step is motivated by the incredible desire to drive the car. Once the parts become a car many of us decide it is done. I myself love a raw unfinished hot rod, but the next level
    Of build is the dreaded tear down. This is where we blow the car back apart and tweak
    Out on it. Weather with a pick
    And file or gallons of bondo, we fine tune the body, chassis and individual
    Parts to the best of our abilities or to the length of our patience. Once this never ending step is completed then we get the honor of re assembly. I myself
    Love this part almost as much as the initial mock up. After the car is all back together and the chips, scratches and faults are fixed, then Comes the buff and polish. After this the car is finished at this point I tend to lose interest in the car and find myself dreaming up another car to spend my time effort and money building.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  26. I really enjoy going out in the garage and finding something new to work on everyday as you can tell I'm still early on my build. Jim