Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's your favorite part of a build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Dec 16, 2014.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

When I finally get the urge to put tools away, sweep and clean up the giant mess I made so I can stand back and look at the progress.

Right after that.

2. I like everything about a build except prep and paint. I have started with nuthin or nearly nuithin a complete bike or car from it.

I built a '54 Ford coupe once starting with a pair of axles with long studs. The guy thought the long studs were cool and he was a friend so we built him a car. Not a check book car either it was chase the correct pieces where ever we could find them to make the car go with the axles. I ended up painting it and all but I did not like all the prep work for the paint or even spraying the paint.

Anyway anything but the prep and the paint.

3. junk

junk

Figuring out the plan then executing. It's cool to see something you planned actually turn into something.

4. ...I think hunting for and getting that next project is one of the best parts of a build, especially if you got a good deal on it.
    T & Dodge 048.jpg

5. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

blocking.

bct likes this.
  6. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I Like the final assembly although it is the most stressful part. Try hard to not scratch your beautiful new paint on everything. Its nice to work on a car that doesn't filth you up by even walking into the shop. I also like doing the upholstery.

7. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

Sitting around in the garage staring at the project drinking beer and bullshitting with my dad and buddies about different ideas, and whats going to be done next. I would also have to agree with hunting for the project is a pretty big thrill.

8. Fabricating and wiring, yes wiring. Polishing is my least favorite.

9. I like it all, but fabricating, and engineering is my favorite part. Body and paint least favorite, but to cheep to pay someone else to do it. How does that saying go,-I weld and grind, but most days I grind.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  10. Building is a part I really enjoy but I will have to admit the butterflies in my gut and the goose bumps on my arms when I turn the key and that pile of parts fires off has got to be the best part. HRP

11. most favorite part is when I'm 1500-3000 miles away from home and realize I'm in my hot rod that I built myself and it will get me home again

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. I hate to admit this but there have been a couple of cars that I built that my favorite part of the build where when they left the driveway. my experience is that not every build is a labor of love.

JimSibley likes this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Favorite part right now is solving small problems, buying the tools to do the modification and have one more finished piece in primer to place on the shelf. Block sanding primer to perfection is something I can do for days, shooting color is somewhat of a let down. No secret to HAMB regulars that wiring is something I'll die not knowing how to do, and chances of having a finished road worth project is not something to bet on. Having the project safe inside is all that matters to me. Bob

14. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

This is my thing, to take something that is on the edge of being put in the shed or out to pasture, because of the PO, and making it run well again. Not really into the aesthetics of cars, really I just want them to move under there own power and be as reliable as possible so you can have fun.

shivasdad likes this.
  15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like lying in bed, just before I go to sleep, and think about what I am going to do tomorrow, next week, next month. I find I do a lot better when I think about things for a while.

16. Kronik66

Kronik66

Designing it in my head.....then parts collecting

17. 29moonshine

29moonshine

the build . getting something no one thinks is worth while and makeing a good driver out of it

18. Squablow

Squablow

I like sheetmetal and bodywork but I hate mechanical stuff. Give me a running engine on a chassis and I'll build a car around it.

First drives are my least favorite part, very nervous and uncomfortable and on the edge of my seat, white knuckled, listening to every squeak and feeling every rattle. I hate driving in untested cars.

19. cavman

cavman

Fabrication, welding, making parts from scratch, taking something that was thought to be "good enough" and making it as good or better than it was when new. Building engines. I hate finish work.

I rebuilt wrecked late models for a living, I made sure they were right before I let someone else make them pretty.

20. Bulletnose26

Bulletnose26

I enjoyed building the chassis the most. Built from scratch, with chalk lines on the garage floor. Most of my project was built with a butter knife and a crescent wrench. Loved every minute of it.
    I felt blessed to be lucky enough to be in my garage, doing what I love to do, even on the shitty days!

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have to pick just one? when you just can not get some part to fit or work, then the light goes on along with the part.

22. mj40's

mj40's

That tells me your not driving it hard enough.

23. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

I am with Jim on this one!

24. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Making replacement parts, fab work...

25. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Successful test drive and coming back and cleaning up the shop.

26. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Getting past the "yucky" work for me. I.E. pressure washing, degreasing, flushing out decades of dirt from the rockers & insides of the frame, then blasting away the decay, cutting out rust, grinding, welding, soaking smalls in rust remover, beadblasting, cleaning.........then FINALLY going the other direction! It's just nice to work on something once it's clean.

shivasdad likes this.
  27. hallrods

hallrods

I like it when the image in my head becomes a reality so I guess the whole build.

28. trollst

trollst

I also like wiring, it becomes a car when you can turn the key and everything works. You know soon it'll be out the garage door for the first time around the block, my second favourite thing.

29. das858

das858

I like the the mock up, the fabrication, all of the mechanical aspects , not crazy about body work.

30. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Block sanding, I just love the endless tedious painful hours. Just kidding. I really do love engine assembly, and initial fire up. That smell of fresh paint being heated for the first time and knowing that the device that brings animation to the vehicle was put together by me. It really does it for me.