Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help!!!! I need shorty headers for a '58 Ford 460 mill

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cabong, Dec 17, 2014.

1. cabong

cabong

This is my kustom/drag racer. It will soon be painted in yellow pearl with candy green Watson outlines. It runs a nice 460 with Crites long tube headers. They hang down too low, so I can't slam the critter. Soo, I need shorties, so that I can git out of the nose bleed altitude. Any help would be appreciated. I know there are a couple companies that make headers for this swap, I just can't find'um. HELP!!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Papa Tom

Papa Tom

I have a set thick flanges they were built for a 63 galaxie

3. Sanderson. Not what I chose....but they make one that hugs, then dumps down at the last two exhaust ports. Look for 4x4 Bronco 429-460. Give me a few....I'll be back with it.

4. [​IMG]If this one will work.....it's part # FF463. I have some extra manifolds for shipping with the proverbial driver's side crack braze you can have if budget crunches.....I didn't want 'em....and would hope you don't either. lol I should trash 'em....but.....you know the story......

5. [​IMG]

The guys that Crazy Steve posted have these shorter ones too. Crazy Steve beat me, but those listed are a bit longer then these. No, I don't have part #'s for them anymore.

6. I seemed to recall Gibson had some too....but for some reason I didn't keep pictures on them. Sanderson makes a cheaper black steelie...but Ebay has a bunch of the same....for probably cheaper.

I have had good luck with Sanderson stuff....and the only reason they weren't used was because of a sudden increase of compartment room for me. I eliminated my shock towers completely and found the biggest Hookers under God's blessed moon. These don't have belly rolls or hairy lips though...................but the driver surely might.

7. One issue you may have is the Crities headers are designed to be used with Crities mounts and crossmember (which raises the motor IIRC). The FPA headers are designed for a more 'stock' location I believe, so you may need to revisit the motor mounting. A phone call to FPA will tell the story. They do make a very nice piece though....

8. cabong

cabong

Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses.....I will check them all out. I have looked at some already, but they all seem to have an issue with the stock steering box. The Crites would be okay, cep'n I need to be low. Later....

9. cabong

cabong

AHAH!!!!!!!! Ford Powertrain Applications in Washington State. Real nice guy, and knows lots about Ford swaps. Stan makes a set that fits a '57 with one whack of a ball-peen and fits a '58 without the hammer. The '57 has a nub'n in the steering box that the '58 doesn't have. Go figure. I've been dink'n around with '57/'58 Fords since '58, and didn't realize there was a difference. As an interesting point....These are 1-3/4" primaries and the Crites are 2". I've always figured that bigger is better, ARRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!!! Apparantly not so, at least up to 6K RPM. The torque is actually a little high with the smaller, shorter primary tubes. I don't plan on running over 6K, so all is well. Cep'n my wallet. They are not cheap, but fit matters. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!!!!!

10. cabong

cabong

These are the headers. He makes each set to order, so it's a couple weeks wait, but I'll live through it. It's a load off just knowing that I won't have to mess with the buggers to get them on. Aaaaaannnddd, now I can lower the dooowwnnnnn to the weeds.

Attached Files:

11. I'm gonna' guess 600 bucks.....give or take a hundred. It's unreal isn't it ? At least yours are hand made.....something to be said for that. I remember $300 Hooker Super Comps in the late 80's....now.....it's times 3 for some those same big tube designs. At least gas is down to $2.50 for a while. Sounds great, and yet still screwy at the same time....

12. BoB Beeman

BoB Beeman

I have a set you might be interested in . You can get back with me [email protected] . I got them for a 460 in a 78 T-Bird . send pertinent Info I'll call and we can talk .

13. cabong

cabong

Six fifty uncoated...........But, they would be alot more to have made. Now I'm anxious, but have to wait. Actually, This old bugger (the '58) is really the best of both worlds. It's great fun as a drag racer, and great fun as a kruizer. I think the traditional Watson style paint will really set it off.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. cabong

cabong

Has it been 2 weeks yet???? I'm really anxious to git this puppy slammed!!!!!!