Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine bay wire clean up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldnuts, Dec 17, 2014.

1. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Wife ordered me a rebel wiring harness for my f100 for Xmas. I can't wait to install it but I'm trying to think of ways to clean up or hide the wires that run throughout the engine bay. I can't stand that horrible plastic crap and I don't really like the look of electrical tape covering the whole section of wires. Let's see what you guys used on your rides. Thanks.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

There are several suppliers (Brillman comes to mind) that sell the old style asphalt loom. They have it in several sizes. Looks right on anything built in a traditional style.

Muttley and oldnuts like this.
  3. Low Black Special

Low Black Special
    from SE Iowa

Heat shrink tube. I found some that was about an inch diameter. It took some time and patience, but I was able to run everything that went through the firewall in one tube. Through the firewall and all the way across the front of the radiator.

oldnuts likes this.
  4. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

I always liked the "spiral wrap" stuff. It looks neat, but is not the plastic loom. I don't have a pic to show you though, sorry!

oldnuts likes this.

5. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

String tie has the best look, in my opinion. Here's a link to an example.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005PQRLTC/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/187-4126208-7165511

You can find it in white, black, or a salt and pepper color, waxed or natural, to fit your application. Installation is a bit of an artisan skill, but with some practice it's quite easy. start with either a clove hitch or a lark's head, and finish it off with a square knot. It takes more time than zip ties, but string will never chafe into a wire, and it still has a classic appearance unlike zip ties or anything else plastic. Put your string ties about two inches apart and you'll be all set.

oldnuts likes this.
  6. I used the wax covered string. I admit I hate it when I have to take it apart.

oldnuts likes this.
  7. I have my starter, coil, temp, and oil pressure wires exit the firewall below ( and behind the air cleaner in this photo) the heater core hoses. Then down and across to the bellhousing. From there they travel up to the rear of the engine. The battery cables run along the inner fender. You can just make them out in the photo. The alt. wires come up from under the exhaust manifold ans do the spark plug wires.

[​IMG]

8. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

57 heap thats a clean little car. I like this thread hope there are more pics added.

oldnuts likes this.
  9. Lacing tape is nice stuff, like you said, it has to be done right or it won't hold. Some specs allow for burning the knots on the waxed type with a hot 'iron.

oldnuts likes this.
  10. [QUOTE="oldnuts, I can't stand that horrible plastic crap and I don't really like the look of electrical tape covering the whole section of wires. Let's see what you guys used on your rides. Thanks. [/QUOTE]

I just used that horrible crap,thank you! HRP

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and oldnuts like this.
  11. Voh

Voh

The last couple I have done, I have used the self sticking fabric tape. Its much better looking than the shinny plastic stuff. It also has an old look to it.

upload_2014-12-17_8-3-55.png

oldnuts likes this.
  12. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Man I dig the wire tie idea but I'm prolly gonna go with the wire cloth tape. Thanks for the ideas and pictures

13. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I picked up heat shield tube from grainger. It is pretty cheap and easy to work with. It stretches so the wires fit in and the you can pull it to tighten up. It makes my engine bay look neater. Not sure if you can tell from the link but it has a cool Diamond pattern in white contrasting the black. I can post a picture of my engine bay when I get home.

http://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/TECHFLEX-Techflex-TM-1UXY1

Stogy and oldnuts like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I got some nylon loom cover from Del City it kinda looks like fishnet stockings when done.

Stogy likes this.
  15. With the line up the back ?

image.jpg

Stogy, smoked1, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

17. missysdad1

missysdad1

The best way to keep the wires from cluttering up your engine bay is to put them somewhere else. Since you're going to totally vacuum 3.jpg rewire the truck, why not run all the wires in places that can't be seen? If you create a false firewall behind the dash you can move some of the more messy items like voltage regulator, ballast resistor, starter relay, coil, etc. to the inside along with all the wires.

All the wires that go forward of the engine can be run through the frame rails. Be creative about location and you'll find that only a couple of wires need to be exposed for more than a couple of inches at most. Even the spark plug wires can be minimized by creative, low routing and avoiding bright colors.

Here's an example. It's my car but I didn't do the wiring and don't know who did, otherwise I'd give credit for doing a very clean job. I've left the access panel off so you can see how the big wire bundles come down from behind the firewall and go forward along the rails.

This car has been updated by a previous interim owner since it was wired without much thought as to how the newly added wiring was run. Before it was updated to a breakerless ignition the coil/distributor wiring was minimal and very neat. The alternator used to be on top of the motor as well, making the wiring to it difficult to deal with neatly, but the black wire covering minimizes the visual intrusion.

At some point I plan to clean up the distributor area by moving the coil under the dash and move the alternator wires (which I have relocated to a low mount) down along the rails as well.

oldnuts likes this.
  18. Looking at the photo you posted I noticed the riser and it doesn't look familiar,,is that a Snow White ? HRP

oldnuts likes this.
  19. missysdad1

missysdad1

Yes, it is. The engine sits quite low in my car and this unit allows the use of a fairly large fan without running it into the lower radiator hose. I didn't install it but I have no plans to change it. The car cools exceptionally well...as long as the pump is "burped" on a regular basis to bleed off the accumulation of air in the system.

20. I have always used the zips risers but I really like the looks of the one you are using,does it use a 6 cylinder water pump? HRP

21. missysdad1

missysdad1

No, Opel.

22. rfraze

rfraze

One more vote for Zips risers.
    Really nice work on the 57. When you get to this point, you see little stuff like the green ignition wire and get a chance to keep making it better. Black shrink tubing can hide a portion of colored wire and bare terminals with black shrink tubing help connections disappear.
    I am in full agreement with the input that says "Hide it" and have used aluminum tubing, that can be painted, for wire runs where necessary. As mentioned, shrink tubing works great for running groups of wire as you lay out wire routing. After wires are run and supported, you can shrink the tubing or not.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  23. Muttley

Muttley

I've bought that stuff from Sacramento Vintage Ford, it's inexpensive and you cant beat the look on a traditional car.

24. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418870712.680644.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418870725.278586.jpg
    Not the prettiest engine bay but miles away from where I started. I haven't finished the tube joints and I don't have the heart to remove the throttle/choke 235 remnants yet. I picked up the little white wire hangers off of evilbay.

25. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

My F100 has that bastard EFI in it and most of my electrical is hidden still. Ran light wires out the bottom of the firewall and along the frame, motor wires I ran out a hole near the heater fan hole and made a new cover for them. Take plenty of time figuring out where you want wires to end, and you can fin a clean way to get them there.
    Took me a couple of weeks to wire my truck, just doing a little bit every few days on it, took more time to decide where and how to route it than the actual process, but the end result is worth it

26. Lay it out with small rope and string, gets the visual and logic down in front.

The easiest way is next to the valvecover/s for all engine wires & usually along drivers side frame for everything else with the fuel pump being the odd man out if you have one.
    Running inside for rearward wires works well 80% of the time.

Thru holes and inside frame rails is were you'll likely have a future problem.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  27. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Yes, as 31 stated holes are the problem areas. All places mine pass though have rubber grommets and some of the corrugated plastic crap for double rub protection.

28. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have always used friction tape

29. rfraze

rfraze

You can measure the diameter (close) of the wires to go thru a hole plus whatever insulation mentioned above, pick the grommet with that inside diameter, and drill the hole to fit the outside diameter of the grommet. Grommet packs list these dimensions, including metal thickness, or you can easily measure with a cheap gauge/micrometer.