Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods CB advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Preacher, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

looking to get a CB for a roadtrip... I would rather get a good one than a something crappy and it will likely be a Craigslist find... any brands to stay away from? Wish my G-pop was around because in the early 70's "CornPicker" knew the CB ropes and could give me what to steer clear from?

2. First you need someone ELSE to talk to, as the CB of today is nothing like it was then.

In other words, if your planning travel alone, forget the CB, it's gonna be useless.

Cosmo

P.S. I still have a factory-equipped AM/FM/CB.

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have a Cobra 66 GTL you can have its the model with all the controls on the hand set and the unit can be mounted out of sight.

4. That's a big 10-4 good buddy :)
    -Pat

5. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

a trucker buddy told me he uses a General Grant but my guess is that they are hard to come by... @saltflats going on the cruise with some friends and we're leaving the cells behind...

6. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

If you guys are running together,a cheap CB should work fine. I bet you could get some good info off of a trucker forum!

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Your welcome to this unit if you want just PM me a address I will sent your way if its not what you want then you can toss it and I wont fill bad.

8. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

This is just simply a suggestion, but if you only need to communicate just with the group you are traveling with, those "Family Radio" walkie-talkies work pretty well. They are relatively inexpensive, and you won't be likely to be "stepped on" by other folks trying to talk. We have a set of four Motorola hand-held rechargeable walkie-talkies, and we've been pleased with their performance. We've used them for a number of road trips to Ocean City, MD. They don't have the extended range of a regular CB, but for a group travelling reasonably close together, they perform well. And since they are hand-held, no external antenna is required. I do have a CB installed in my Chevy Express van, but haven't used it in years.

Wayne

9. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

I've had a Cobra 29LTD WX mounted in my DD for several gears now. Your best bet is to get a middle of the road radio and a higher end antenna (shakespeare, firestik, or the like) make sure you have a good ground plane (antenna base is grounded) and you do not have the center coax touching ground (no continuity - high resistance on a meter) and you should be just fine for a short trip out across the blacktop.

If you're wanting to maximize your effort, then you'll want to tune the system after installation. To do this, you'll need a SWR meter and a tunable antenna. Benefits of properly tuning the system are better transmission and reception, higher effeciency with cooler operation, and longer transmitter life. If that's something you're interested in, give me a holler. I'll borrow you a meter.