Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Universal Gas Tanks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beep, Dec 14, 2014.

1. I am looking for a new gas tank to install in my 1959 Ford Ranchero. The early mustang tanks look perfect since they are a drop in from the top and only a slight portion is above the floor. However, they are only 16.5 gallon tanks and I am looking for a 20 gallon plus size tank.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you buy a new mustang tank you could cut it and add some depth to up your gallons.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Not a very good idea at all. Most new gas tanks are made from a coated steel ( aluminized or satin coat galvanized ) which once cut does not weld well.
    Once you weld it and check for leaks the welded area is subject to corrosion since the coating is gone and the tank will often spring leaks around the welds.

4. You may have to go with a fuel cell, maybe custom made to order for your application.

5. Ole don

Ole don

I made a tank for a roadster a few years back. I went to a race car builder and asked if he could buy a half sheet of 18 gauge for me. He needed a half sheet too, so we both made out. I made the tank of poster board from Wall Mart. The race car builder sheared and bent the metal like the poster board sample. The bottom was bent twice, up each end. The top was bent twice, down front and back. There were two baffles inside, tacked in before the top went on, then rosette welded on top. The filler came from Speedway. The fuel pickup goes in the top. It was all gas welded, yes it had some warpage, but no leaks. It was coated with very good primer on the outside and nothing inside. The dictionary told me how big a gallon is in volume, it held 16.88 of them.

6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

69 Mustang tanks are 20 gal. Check e-bay.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

8. COOL, THANK YOU. a 69 HUH? i'LL LOOK.