Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Donovan valve cover question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65standard, Feb 21, 2014.

1. I am wondering about the differences between Donovan 392 valve covers. I have an original fuel Hemi I got from Kris Karamesines 25 years ago. It has Donovan finned valve covers. Yesterday I went and looked at another 392 hemi. It had What looked like Donovan valve covers on it. But they are slightly different than mine. These had only 4 ribs on top while mine have 5 ribs on top.

Here's mine
    [​IMG]

When I asked the guy about his "Donovan" valve covers, he told me his are original and paid big bucks to get them. Does anyone know if Donovan offered two different style covers back in the early 60's or are his fake copies?

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Early Donovan's have the extra rib
    the currently available Donovan's don't have the lower "5th" rib

3. Good to know they are still available. I thought they were long out of production.

4. i have really poor pics of my top fuel car in 1978. I had the covers off from John Wiebe's car from 1970. As near as I can tell, they are 5 rib.

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

They still make them, Woody just started machineing 20 sets the other day. I saw the 5 rib pattern down in the pattern room, somthing might be happening with that.

6. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I have a set of the new ones on my 392- I think I ordered them back in October 2013.
    I was a bit disappointed they were only 4 rib but not the end of world.
    I ordered them unpolished & then had them black powder coated. I had them mask off top of ribs & the flat area & left that natural. Keeping a set of these polished are a nightmare. I have 2 other sets that are polished (not Donovan) & are a PITA to keep looking good.
    They are pricey when you figure in the tall breathers, spark plug tubes & seals.
    Plan is to go all black on this motor. I have a extra blower case & extra set of 850 Race Demons that will be done in black someday.

New ones look like this unpolished.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Early ones were magnesium, not aluminum.
    Like these.

[​IMG]

8. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

You could get the early ones in both mag and alum, just like wheels were back in the day.

9. AA/FA 701

AA/FA 701
    from Sonora, CA

10. AA/FA 701

AA/FA 701
    from Sonora, CA

Are you looking to sell a set of these? Im building a pretty special car and I want some old Donovans on it.

11. jonrbrt

jonrbrt
    from Indiana

I have a set of 5 rib Donovans. What are they worth?

Attached Files:

12. rooman

rooman

I found a pair for $500 that need a little work where they have been ground to make room for bigger valve springs. I also have a brand new pair of the newer 4 rib versions that I plan to sell.

Roo

13. Damn nice pics in this one. You guys rock. Oh what I wouldn't do......for a hemi.