Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 heavy drop axle new or origional??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by snopeks garage, Dec 15, 2014.

1. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

I need a drop axle for my 32, forget the price whats stronger? Any reserch on this? Im looking at a 4 or 5 inch drop. what do you think?

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

can't beat henry for strength and coolness...new one looks...new

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Before everyone jumps in and tells you to use the search function, as this has been covered many times, Google is your friend.....Simply put, this is the answer. Use an original axle, get a reputable person to drop it to whatever you want, someone like Sid from Nostalgia Sids does a great job. www.droppedaxles.com Don't buy a cast axle ie Magnum, they have been known to break.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Damn you Larry, you and your fast typing

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3wLarry likes this.

5. JMHO...If you don't use a original,look for a forged axle and not cast. HRP

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Are you building a Hot Rod or a street rod? Bob

7. They are not heavy.

8. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Thanks I just was double checking before i drop the dough. Origional it is. Hopefully they have a core in stock!

9. The guys in Okla. can answer your questions and most times sell you one.

10. Henry !! 117Harv is greatness with Henry axles. He's either bored, or ADD.....dunno' which, but man he makes 'em pretty. Guess he is just an artist then.

Runnin shine likes this.
  11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If your using wishbones, it may determine what spring perch boss you use 2" or 2 1/4". Most aftermarket axles are 2 1/4 boss.

12. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Useing 33 bones so need the stock 32 2in perch boss. Good looking out though

13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Been having Anson axles/Greg drop my deuce axles. Looks factory with no distortion. Otherwise been using quit a few So-Cal axles, they're forged and good quality. I've heard thru the grapevine that CE is no longer making axles.

14. dgasbag

dgasbag
    from Upstate NY

I would definatly go for the
    ORIGIONAL

porknbeaner likes this.
  15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

fixed it for you bubba :)

16. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

X 2. Nicest out there hands down. He's doin a Model A for my brother right now. There's one on my AV8 pickup he did 2 years ago, one on the pickup I built before that and one on the roadster my brother built and sold. Can't go wrong.

17. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Forgetting the price – do you want pretty (SO-CAL $250) or original looking rough cast ($600 up). The choice is yours, either way looks good to me and most others. Both will do the job.

SO CAL Axle.jpg IMG_1581.jpg
    Okie Joe at the LARS.

18. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

It's so easy to spot the aftermarket axles. The shape is all wrong. There are plenty of original Ford axles out there still and more people dropping them all the time. I don't see why original wouldn't be the choice. Especially being a member here on the HAMB and the relative ease of either finding a dropped original or someone to drop one for you.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  19. If I had a choice I would run an original, no question about it.

3wLarry likes this.
  20. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

22. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

Just a picture of the 32 heavy resting in my shop. I was thinking of putting it on my A but I want it to look stock so I don't want chrome or the slots.

upload_2014-12-15_21-12-1.png

23. trollst

trollst

Well, I just bought a so-cal axle, really like it, used the stock steering arms, its forged, its a nice piece. Everything fit perfectly, no issues, stock steering arms have plenty of clearance and its plain plain plain, no way to tell its not a stocker.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I bought a so so original drum to drum '32 axle assembly this spring, sold off what I didn't need and wound up with the axle for free. It will be off to Okie Joe to be blueprinted along with my spindles next month. Bob

25. dgasbag

dgasbag
    from Upstate NY

I was just spelling it the way it was spelled in the original posting.........trust me I know how to spell it!

26. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Sorry man, but you can definitely tell these aren't stock ford axles. It's the way they all taper near the king pin so you can use a stock ford spindle without having to bend the arms. It's the dead giveaway on all the aftermarket axles. I'm not sayin they are bad axles, just that anyone who looks at these old ford parts enough can spot a new axle a mile away.

image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  27. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

My 3' dropped Model A by Anson after a summers worth of abuse. Time to paint it, lol. axle1.JPG axle2.JPG

28. The only thing an aftermarket axle does for you in a positive way is get the front track a little narrower. ( there's a bunch to the negative)
    After you add after market brakes and wheels with a centered wheel mounting surface it gets kinda wide up front, starting with a narrow axle helps that.

Of course you can narrow your original ford axle the traditional way too.

29. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

:D