Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I bring home this free shoebox?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deto, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Slopok

Slopok

The Chrome T Handle to the left of the steering wheel.

2. deto

deto

Thanks you

3. Brentphx

Brentphx

If you part it, gimme a ring about the tranny... The od would be nice some days!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

deto likes this.
  4. You have to ask,,it looks pretty good and it's free so I would say it's a no brainier,,,go get it! HRP

lothiandon1940 and deto like this.
  5. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

More doors makes it easier to get in the back seat with the OLD lady!!!

6. deto

deto

Haha true!

7. Rob68

Rob68

Free is FREE. Get it you lucky SOB

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  8. the handle says overdrive......and you can see the handle in the pic.........jezzz get it allready....

9. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

This.

10. deto

deto

Wanna let me borrow a ramp truck?

11. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It's a 1950 with a v-8 and overdrive ... go get it ! Who cares if it's a more-door ? They need lovin' too !

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  12. 41GASSER

41GASSER

Save the car, flathead v8, very cool ride. Most would prefer two less doors but the price is as good as it get.

13. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

What are you waiting for....go and get it. Your boss appears to be a good guy, if anything do him a favor and take the car.

14. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

go get it! I'll double the price you paid for just the steering wheel lol I'd get it cleaned up and primer it since you said it have to sit outside and wait for a younger guy to show interest and make him a deal on it. Get another young guy into cars and put a little coin in your pocket at the same time. I would of killed for that at 16. Hell if you were closer I'd be trying to buy it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The overdrive handle is the handle that is pulled out between the park brake handle and the steering column.
    I'd get that one in a heartbeat and clean the rat nests off then engine and clean the rest of it up and see if it could be got to run. If the engine is dead or broken put the car up for sale and use the proceeds on your project. The boss will fully understand "It was going to cost too much to fix". If you get it running and driving for a small cost and fix the brakes and what not you might just have a cheap cruiser to drive while you finish your project that will be worth more bucks as a running driving project to someone else.

I'd look in the hiding places where paperwork might be tucked away too as who knows, the title might be hiding in the glove box or registration holder.

16. deto

deto

Very true

17. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

It's in Alberta, and it's a 20 ft drop tail trailer, but yeah, I'd loan it to ya if it meant you'd get the car dude....

18. randy

randy

Even free cars use up your most valuable commodity...TIME. If you're interested in it complete or as parts, grab it. If you're only interested because it's "free", pass on it. A free car isn't free by the time you get it home.

19. deto

deto

This...

20. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

If the floors are solid it looks like an easy fixer upper.
    If it has rusted out floors then it's a project car for someone else.
    I hope we're all beyond parting out cars that good these days.

21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tell me you have been and are home now wiping rat shit of the car already. Don't listen to those people, "Aww, but it may cost you a dollar or two".
    Are you into cars or money?
    Bring it home, swap out the parts until its all gone and you have what you want, fix it hell mount the fucking thing on a pole in the front yard.
    Man its a car, with flathead and driveline free...........
    Dude.

Doc.

*EDIT*, Err.....and like EdwardLLoyd said, don't part something like that out! (That was a typo above(OK!))................

volvobrynk and 28A like this.
  22. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That is such a Nice car, its one of the few car where the 4 door is beautiful.

If it has a good flathead and overdrive, I would try to fix it.

I understand them who say it will waste you a lot of time. I have to call BS.
    You dont waste time on cars, you use time on cars, much better then wasting it on shopping!!!
    At least you got a shot at driving a car, thats cheaper then something you can buy.
    And If your wife dont asks for a divorce when she sees it, you can only come out on top with this!

And If you get it running and driving, you are gonna have so much fun driving it, and it will sell in a heartbeat.
    If you are in doubt, get it home and diagnose it (triage sp?), put a sign in the window and let someone Else deside.

You can only come out on top!

Go Lad, Go. Of you can't collect/haul it, ask the Hamb for help, he always have time, help, hint or a buyer. :D

23. indyjps

indyjps

That is an iconic car, 2 door would be better but that looks like a very solid car, every piece of that car is usable because so many people are trying to save shoeboxes.
    if you're not interested in it, see if there are there any HAMBers in the area that are willing to kick you a modest finders fee, then pass it on to them, you wouldn't have to touch it.
    my vote is to bring it home, then get a title. Decide at that point if you want to do the car or sell it.
    Don't pass on it, sounds like your boss just wants it gone, the next call could be a scrapper.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Give it to someone "deserving" who doesnt have a car,let them go get it.
    Since you have too many already and not sure if you even want to fool with another.

25. No, but it's still cheap. I'd be all over it. Even though it's a 4-door, some young guy would appreciate having that car and could build something out of it.

26. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Most definitely worth "free" even considering time spent to retrieve and store. Worth more in parts then as a project to flip unless you can just clean it up a bit and get it running relatively easy. I would have got it already.

27. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. For Overdrive I would say it is because of the pull handle to the right of the parking brake handle. I would guess that most of the lights & stuff removed for sanding will be in the trunk.

I am a Chevy guy but i would go haul that thing home in a heart beat.

Good luck with your find. Jimmie

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. On the overdrive likely the pull handle to the right of the parking brake handle is what engages the overdrive. I bet most or all of the lights & stuff removed for sanding will be in the trunk.
    I am a Chevy guy but I would go haul that thing home in a heartbeat.
    Good luck getting it home. Jimmie

29. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

I'd get it, even though my boss and I (good friend and fellow hot rodder) are in your situation. He was given a 4 door 49 to make room at his father in laws place. Seemed fun cheap and easy at first, don't get me wrong it's still fun, but not cheap...We've bought 2 more 8ba's as the 49s was stuck, the new moving engine seemed like it would run.
    Nope. After tearing it down and playing whack a mole with stuck valves, we discovered it would need a valve train. Well why not a cam? "Go ahead, cams out, probably should do cam bearings", sure. But might as well replace mains and rod bearings too. "I found a good deal on a standard ring set" "I don't know man, there's a helluva ridge" of to the machinist we go...
    (By the way it's a blast building an engine on someone else's dime!)
    The "might as wells" and "shoulda" kept going,
    2x2 aluminum intake
    New aluminum heads
    Isky cam
    New pistons
    I'm sorry I got off topic a bit. What I was trying to get at was having witnessed this whole mess, I'd do it again. Get the car, if you don't want it make a little money and sell it to someone who does. I get the feeling it will be scrapped if your not the gent picking it up..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. Looks like it even has back up lights! Did someone stash the parts inside the car? My 49 came with back up lights but the bulb sockets were missing - an easy fix...