Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tig welding help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sunday driver, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The bottom line is practice. The more you do the better it will get.
    I can also say that a beginners TIG class at a community college would be a good idea.

Sunday driver likes this.
  2. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

When I went to nlte school for welding in 63' the teacher had a film each week on different types of manufacturing, so you learn a lot more than just welding

Also learn shop safety that is just as important as the welding, maybe even more so

If you can spare the time jump in and go to class, as you will never regret it

3. Easier to weld, if you don't have to heat the table up too.

Beau and Sunday driver like this.
  4. Sunday driver

Sunday driver

Thanks for all the replys , I hear everyone with taking a class , and I have looked.. closest collage is over a hour away with no traffic . I went to a tech high school and hung out daily at a machine shop after high school .
    all thats gone now ..the machine shop is a ice cream shop now , nothing but walmarts and home depots around here .

im not in that line of work but i always wanted to do those nice welds .
    also im building a 34 ford and i dont know nothing about that either :D
    lifes too short not to try new things !

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Nothing beats personal instruction after observing you.
    But if that's not available, there's all kinds of text books on welding, Ilearned a lot from a welding handbook put out by HP Books.
    The "welding tips and tricks" videos mentioned earlier are great, and for sale at a reasonable cost on his website.

6. Sunday driver

Sunday driver

Yes Jody's videos are great watched many of them .
    ready for some hands on now even just setting up that cart was a project a lot too learn for sure !

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

I too am new to tig.

I think the most important items after a few months of practice are part cleanliness and a sharp tip.

Get those two items down and the rest is just practice.

8. fatkoop

fatkoop

Do you know anybody (car building guys) in your area that welds with TIG a lot? Nothing like a little one-on-one to speed up the learning curve. Most people would be happy to give a little of their time to help another hot rodder.

9. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

You have it figured out. Each welder has its quirks. Mess with it and you'll find what the welder will do. Not are all created equal. As mentioned tungstan sharpered to end on the length of rod and a 1/4 inch reveal will help. Make sure the gas is on. Ha ha. Straight argon is overkill for steel but it cant hurt.

From your last post your figuring it out. I still blow through 22 guage.

10. Sunday driver

Sunday driver

Thanks , argon and a co2 mix for steel ? .
    I saw a helium mix for aluminum to make it hotter .
    I am waiting on 4043 filler rod to try some aluminum runs

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: Another case of posting when you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Argon and CO2 mix is for Mig welding. Period.

For GTAW welding on mild steel and stainless steel use 100% Argon. The same for Tig welding on aluminum.
    Mixed gasses are used for specialized jobs on different and sometimes exotic alloys.
    The only time the helium mix is used is on large sections of aluminum where heat input needs to be increased.

100% argon is the gas of choice for several reasons.
    1) Cost, it is cheaper than mixes.
    2) It has a lower heat input making it good for lower amperages on thin material
    3) It has a lower gas ionization factor ( What this means is that argon will help initiate and maintain an arc with a lower voltage than other gases)
    4) This means that it gives a smooth and stable arc, also better than some of the mixed gasses.

For general Tig welding 100% argon is the gas of choice, don't bother with anything else.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O :D Gas never came up until you mentioned the incorrect info on argon. :D
    Now you know a little more about Tig ;)

13. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I use a bottle for tig and mig. Ya not the perfect setup. Why my suggest of running a argon. On thick steel with tig 75 25 will work fine.

14. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I appriecate the tip. Can't wait to try it out....

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No, NO it will not !
    CO2 is a reactive gas, it breaks down and reacts in the arc giving off carbon monoxide from the reaction. Works fine with Mig, but it will NOT work with Tig.
    With Tig you need a 100% inert gas, hence the Argon.

16. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Okay. Guess I need to correct my gas dealer. Thanks.

17. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Driver

Like I said before go to a pro for some Show & Tell, if you cant go to school

Get your steel TIG up to speed first before you try Alum

18. Sunday driver

Sunday driver

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418418627.167717.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418418677.752729.jpg

So far so good I made some beads runs on steel ..

Now first time on aluminum ,
    it's nothing to brag about but I think the machine is working
    Thanks everyone for pointers
    The car likes to watch

19. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

Most companys that sell these machines have Sales Reps that know the ins and outs of their product,maybe you could contact them if all else fails,being shown[hands on]seems the way to go for you,good luck,Gaz!

20. Sunday driver

Sunday driver

I'm good just wanted to say thanks , nice when people lend a hand , I'll pass it along too

21. You probably should, if that's where you are getting the info.
    You'll want argon for tig, for sure. If by some chance you are running a tig welder and mixed gas try some straight argon. You will be awakened.

You can make some light mad melt some metal but you most certainly are not tig welding with mixed gas no matter what flavor the machine looks like

22. chrisp

chrisp

Personally I'd dump the thorium, and get straight lanthane for steel. For this reason: thorium is a nasty radioactive thingy that you grind and breathe, even if it's a little it's only adding up to all the other nasty stuff you breathe while welding unless you have the proper equipment.
    I'd say you bring too much metal on the Aluminum, heat is an other issue, but less metal and try to "pulse" with your foot, it will make prettier welds.

23. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Like said above only 100% Argon for TIG. If you can observe someone skilled welding with a mask you can learn a lot by watching how they do it. Also don't mess with aluminum until you are comfortable and competent on steel. Clean is key with TIG, no rust or scale. Shiny. If you clean with brake clean?(only), I stress(only) use non-chlorinated. Chlorinated can form Phosgene gas and it will mess you up forever. Also get a self darkening mask. Sit down on a chair and get comfortable. Sharpen your tungsten in a vertical with the grindstone. You can read online from Lincoln or Miller to get some tips.

Ago

24. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

And if you tied up your cable with wire ties as you did in the beginning, cut them off and give the cable less of a sharp bend (as it had before). A nice curve will give it more life.

25. Sunday driver

Sunday driver

That aluminum I just was making passes to get the feel of the torch and the filler it was hot

26. Sunday driver likes this.
  27. chrisp

chrisp

Al must be perfectly clean, lightly sanded as well as the filler and preheating is a good idea. Practice a lot on steel and an aluminum you know, some of them can't be welded, some need special filler and it's not by looking at it you will know what it is. If the part needs to be polished you need to get a filler rod as close as possible to the al you're welding otherwise you will get a different shade and it will show.

28. Did you make that torch holder ? Wish I had one.

29. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Chlorinated or not, never use any form of brake clean before welding, why take a chance of you or anybody grabbing the wrong can!!!! Acetone is cheaper than those cans of spray for the volume.

30. Larry T

Larry T

It might not be a problem with young guys, but seeing the puddle clearly is a must. Use whatever glasses or cheaters you need to get a sharp view.