Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects T-85 with R11 overdrive (Bourg Warner)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WoooDaaaa, Dec 11, 2014.

1. WoooDaaaa

WoooDaaaa

Does anyone know where I can get a speedometer drive gear for this tranny? The gear has 8 starts and is left hand pitch. The I.D. of gear is 1.375+ and O.D. is 1.930 +/- and width is .007. It could be steel or plastic. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I suspect that the gear there will be peculiar to the brand of car that the trans came from...the T-85 was used by quite a number of companies.

3. BJR

BJR

I believe 55 56 Ford used that trans. The gears were different colors of plastic for the different tooth counts. If I am remembering correctly.

4. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Try garagemotorsports.com (360) 735-0753 Vancouver WA. If anybodys got one its them. Nice to deal with & Really helped me when I did R10 4 speed conversion. I'd love to find an R11 myself. Good Luck!

5. squirrel

squirrel

this is what you need to consider...and since you didn't tell us what the transmission is from, or provide pics, it's hard to help!

6. I'll go look at the one I have when I find it.Probably has the gear.

7. WoooDaaaa

WoooDaaaa

Thanks Flux, I will give them a try!!!

8. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Tire size, rear end, some mathematics. Do you want the drive gear or the driven gear? Correct me if I'm wrong but the drive gear is on the output shaft, the driven gear is the replaceable colored insert that you change to match tire size. Anyways, talking to a human being at a transmission shop gets this figured out real quick.

9. WoooDaaaa

WoooDaaaa

IMG_1063.JPG IMG_1060.JPG IMG_1061.JPG

10. WoooDaaaa

WoooDaaaa

Here are the other pics, I had to down size them. IMG_0196.JPG IMG_0197.JPG IMG_0199.JPG IMG_0200.JPG

11. WoooDaaaa

WoooDaaaa

Hey Texas Webb, thanks. If you have one and would part with it, I will surely give you the asking price!!! :)

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

You'll have to figger this all out if you are going to use an OEM speedometer, but if it's going in something with a custom dash, maybe one using round dial instruments like Stewart Warner or similar, consider the satellite/GPS speedo from Speed Hut.
    I have one in my roadster, and the difference in appearance is almost impossible to see, except the small logo on the dial. They have a deal on their website that allows you to choose dial face, Font, needle, etc. Considering all the research and parts chasing it eliminates, if it's compatible with your remaining instrument panel, it's 5he way to go IMO.

13. WoooDaaaa

WoooDaaaa

I need the drive gear because it drives the governor for the overdrive. Transmission shops today have no idea what a R11 overdrive is. :mad: OH, I made a mistake on width dimension I original post...it's .700" not .007.

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Oop0's!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're correct, I was forgetting about the OD, unless you can wire it up to work off switches manually instead of using the governor.

15. PackardV8

PackardV8

IIRC, the T85 used the same speedo gears as the T10 and they're still readily available.

Studebaker International stocks quite a few. www.studebaker-intl.com

jack vines