Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tattersfield aluminum flat six head

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Duk, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Duk

Duk

Hey gentlemen,
    I'm hoping this is the right place to look for info and possible value. My nephew that is almost 13yrs was looking to get his first car and they are always asking for my thoughts as they are occasionally sending me pics of possible candidates. I live in Seattle area and they are in my hometown Tulsa. my sister sent a pic of my favorite truck 1946 dodge pickup and at the price and cond. I informed them to grab it. I'm In town visiting and stoked to check out the truck with my nephew. Thinking I'm going to see a farm fresh truck, I couldn't be more wrong. Truck had been retored and when I opened the motor compartment they had no idea what they had other then a flat six. Sitting right on top is a Tattersfield finned aluminum head and offenhauser dual carb setup. score!! Gonna be his daily driver and looking to put a more modern Motor, so I'm looking for a estimated value of the Head?! I want to be able to pay him a honest price or get him the value, so he can make the decision to sell or get started off right as Motörhead and collect vintage speed! Thanks for taking the time and I will update with pic as soon as possible.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  2. moose

moose

You should sell that head to me, so I can match it up with my Tattersfield intake.

3. I have no idea what it is worth but I would say a pretty penny as flathead 6 speed parts are pretty hard to come by.

If you can't convince him to stay with the old engine why not just by him a new engine and trade him. I am sure that you could convince him that a baby hemi is a new drivetrain compared to his old 6. :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Duk

Duk

My first intent is to convince him to keep it as is and hopefully it'll get dialed in and be reliable for a daily driver. The other option is that I'm able to offer him a fair price to keep it in the family, but I need to know what that fair price would be.

5. Duk

Duk

Hey Moose, what would you be willing to pay to have it match your intake set up?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I can say is that head should go for way more than I could afford if I was looking for one. Six cylinder flathead speed stuff seems to command a serous price no matter what six cylinder flathead it is designed for. If the rest of the engine is in great shape you might be getting over on him if you traded him a really nice 360 and matching trans straight across.

7. Duk

Duk

What would be your best guesstimate? Have any sold in the recent years? If so, how much? This is my nephew and I would like to let him know how well he did and give him his options. If anything like me, I like running stuff not many have. The reference to a 360 motor and tranny what would that cost? That might be the only response monetarily I get. It seems everyone wants something, but not willing to advise on value. Just do some leg work for him.
    Thanks

8. squirrel

squirrel

someone sold a cracked Edmunds head for a flatty mopar 6 on ebay recently for over seven bills. Yeah, it's probably worth something.

9. 360 MOPARs can be had cheap. Like less than a grand for a runner around here. the late model motors have plasma moly rings from the factory so even if it needs rebuilt it should show little block wear. That saves a ton on a rebuild.

10. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

11. Duk

Duk

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

A brand new Edgy head was $685 last time I looked. A Tattersfield in good shape should be worth at least $300 or $400 .

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you want that motor DON'T let him drive the truck. A good running flatty will make him wonder why he wants to do an engine swap.

Con him into thinking a V8 is not only better, but enough better to be worth the work and expense of changing it. If he is young enough you will get away with it.

As long as he doesn't know what a good running flathead is like.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Duk

Duk

I want him to keep it like it is. Not looking to con my family! We like each other unlike most.
    Thanks for the two cents, feel like I should give you change.lol

15. I keep checking back for some 'purtee pictures. Would love to see it...if you get a chance to post.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Duk

Duk

image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

17. chris' 38

chris' 38

18. Duk

Duk

Was waiting to see who asked first. O'brien Truckers air cleaner.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. Tell him to keep it like it is he will have a blast with it and it is something special, convince him of that!

Duk and volvobrynk like this.
  20. Worth way more than 3-400 bucks IMO. I've been around the block a time or two with MoPar flathead speed equipment; can't say that I've ever seen a Tattersfield head...seen plenty of Fenton and Edmunds heads - those typically go for $650-800; I would imagine that T'feild head would be worth every bit as much if not more.

21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The first thing you should do is measure the length of the head. Whoever built that truck may have gone the extra mile to put in the bigger Chrysler 6; then he'd really have something. I don't know if Tattersfield made a Chrysler head, but what's it gonna' take to check? I don't remember the respective lengths off the top of my head, but they are on this board in lots of places.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Duk, that is so coool !! Looks like whomever owned it before was really happy with his selections. I can't imagine the fun of that setup in a '46 Dodge truck. Awesome.

The head looks like a proud later arrival....maybe with the air cleaner ??? I would be very happy cruising that truck as is....but that's just me. You and your nephew are blessed to have such a thing. Thanks so much for the post. How unique is this ? !!! w O w

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    Duk and volvobrynk like this.
  23. Chrysler/DeSotos are 25" - Ply/Dodges are 23.5"

24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That seems like a Nice truck; but the lack of pictures is starting to freak me out.

Most Young people wants a V8 because its faster and sounds better, the a stock straight six!
    Some mature people wants a hopped up straights six because it can be faster then a V8, and to a Real mechanic its Sound better then most V8!

Dont change it before you took it for a spin! You might love it!!

1949dodge likes this.
  25. 52HardTop

52HardTop

That thing is way too cool. You have to convince that youngster to keep that engine right where it is! One of my most prized possessions is the Tattersfield intake on my Chevy inline. By the way, didn't Tattersfield make and intake for those sixes also?

Duk likes this.
  26. Duk

Duk

I appreciate your feedback and from what I have pieced together I agree. I'm leaving them in the good hands of a mechanic friend of mine very familiar with early motors to get it sorted. They have a few years before he's licensed and I've told him to enjoy and show off what few have! Cool set up for a 13yr old.

27. Duk

Duk

I'll gave them measure. I only had a day to check it out and now back to seattle. I've hot them set up with a buddy to dig in and get it sorted and keep as is.

28. Duk

Duk

I was super stoked to be able to point out what he had bought. I was advising him on the truck via pics, but no motor pics. At the price I figured it was just the truck, do imagine my surprise. I'm over educating him so they don't make a mistake and sell off. They won't do anything without consulting me especially with all this great feedback that I'm showing them from you guys. Told him I'd trade him my 32' for it! Lol

29. Duk

Duk

They do, but ours is a offenhauser.

30. Duk

Duk

I posted pics of the motor. Unless your referencing pics of the truck?!