Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A with B engine, Barn Find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 45yellowford, Aug 12, 2012.

1. 45yellowford

45yellowford

I need advise on my B engine. I just bought this project form the estate of an elderly man. It seems he bought the Model A coupe from a friend in the San Diego/ Long Beach area in about 1960. The friend had started to hot rod it and lost interest. The elderly man stored it for over 50 years but did not work on it. The body is rust free, it has juice brakes, a droped front axel and no dents. The B engine has a Wieand fined alum head, a GEMSA fined alum valve cover, a rebuilt block with the origional assembly lube, a counter ballanced crank, large intake valves, 3.992 bore, a Wico mag and a distributor, a down draft intake with a 97 carb and a fined alum valve cover. It also has many extra parts.

Do I have to disassemble the engine and apply new assembly lube before I try to start it?
    What do I use for engine oil?
    Can I start the engine with 12 volts?
    Do I need a fan? The engine has a new arrangement for the water pump and uses an early flathead pump.
    Will this engine perform better than Model A?

Larry

2. You post this with no pictures?
    Are you kidding???

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  3. Hey Larry, you know we all needs pictures, right?
    Dose the engine turn over?
    If it turns over, check the fluids, replace if needed, and crank that thing over.
    If it has a 6 volt system, then i wouldnt use 12 volts.

"Will this engine perform better than Model A?"

Hell yeah!:D;)

4. Pictures or it didnt happen! haha just kidding. cool story though

5. def want pictures! and a vid of it running with good sound :)

6. 45yellowford

45yellowford

Pictures of Model A with B engine

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  7. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Model A and B engines like straight 30 weight oil, if it turns over smoothly and does not appear to have had any moisture in it I would put oil in it and crank it.

You can start it with 12 volts, just remember model A's are postive ground and if you are using a 6 volt battery clean your grounds good or it will crank real slow.

8. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

What a find! Love that banger and the vintage goodies!

9. alchemy

alchemy

Probably wouldn't be too hard to pop the caps off the rods and crank to smear some fresh lube on them. And get as much of the cam as possible.

That car looks like quite a find. My little brother would have it clean in no time with the drool he'd drop all over it.

10. RC Kid

RC Kid
    from Alabama

That's a real cool ride!

11. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Real nice find...

12. Fenders

Fenders

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

ooh... looks like NOS 1963 California plates... do you have a title with that plate on it? even then you may not be able to run them if the car is out of the system. good trading material for 28-29 plates you could run on the car.

looks ike a great car.

EDIT: looks like you are not in California. sell those on ebay for big bucks.

14. pumpman

pumpman

Ok, does anyone know what's the deal with the four tubes coming out of the oil pan? Is it some kind of special lube system?

15. alchemy

alchemy

I'd bet it's hooked to some fittings inside the pan that squirt onto each rod.

16. pumpman

pumpman

I sure would like to get more info on that for my B engine, looks like it's setup for an external oil filter too.

17. i'd love to have that

18. wallyringo

wallyringo

what a gem, very cool

19. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

Larry, that car is amazing! :eek:

20. Holy crap, is that nice!!!
    Congrats on a great score!

21. 45yellowford

45yellowford

The tubes comming out of the oil pan.....? The one out of the front goes in the back and the one second from the front goes in second from the back. there is no fittings on the inside, just the hole.

Larry

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wonder if Joe Gemsa built that motor? NICE FIND! It has a b transmission too, most peopke cut the back off a B pan and use the A trans. It would be a great ide to take it apart and inspect and re lube things. Bob

23. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

The tubes squirt oil to the rod dippers, a poor-man's way of improving the oiling system but not needed as long as you stay under 4,000 RPM. I would at the very least pull the pan and check the rods for hardening of the assy. lube. If it has hardened, take it all apart for cleaning and re-lubing. White grease was often used back then as assy. lube, and would harden over time. I would also install a full-flow oil filter and pump oil into the engine before starting to pre-lube. e-mail me at [email protected] for instructions on the filter system.

24. skryla

skryla
    from Brick, NJ

Here's a update to this thread. I bought the engine from Larry about two years ago. It is FINALLY, running and driving after over 50 years! ResizedImage_1415904520817.jpg .

AHotRod likes this.
  25. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So what did Larry do with the coupe? pictures?

26. Chopped channeled with a hemi????

27. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Very nice!

28. opunui

opunui
    from Honolulu

29. Great piece of history. Good luck brother!