Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Summit Rack and Pinion for Shoebox Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swekustom, Dec 11, 2014.

1. swekustom

swekustom
    from Sweden

2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Before just slapping on a steering component...like a R&P unit, you need to know what it is that you need..!
    If you don't do your due-diligence (homework), you could end up with bumpsteer that "could" be dangerous and or make you hate the way the car drives.

Word to the wise...

Mike

3. swekustom

swekustom
    from Sweden

I know ! thats why Im asking you guys here !

4. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Note...it can only be used with a flathead motor.
    I bought R&P from Fatman and it was a pain to work on. I gave up on it. I had to shorten the steering column so much it had no support.
    I'm going back to original steering.

5. swekustom

swekustom
    from Sweden

I know that also. I have sbc chevy and original steering. Headers I build myself. And the bracket for the powersteering can I probably fabricate a new one for the sbc.

6. JEM

JEM

First off, this isn't a Summit kit, it's a Unisteer kit.

Personal opinion: Unisteer is generally decent stuff.

But...there's various kits from big-name vendors that get the bumpsteer all wrong on lots of old Fords.

Order it, then do as follows:

a) Measure the distance between the outer and inner tie rod end studs on the stock setup
    b) Measure the distance between the outer tie rod end stud and the inner tie rod end pivot point on the Unisteer rack.

The rack measurement isn't likely to be LONGER, but if it's much (more than 1in, 1.5in at the absolute most) SHORTER, send it back.

As far as what engine it's set up to work with, if the rack clears the pan of the engine then you're down to the pump, finding a Saginaw (ham-can or later small-body) pump arrangement to fit just about any common swap engine is not brain surgery. Call Unisteer.

(edit - okay, if you were in the US I'd say 'order it, measure, and send back if not right'. From Sweden...uh, maybe not so much. If it's not practical to get your hands on one, then measure your stock tie rod, from the inner pivot stud to the outer pivot stud, then contact Unisteer and ask for the tie rod length on their kit - from the outer stud to the inner tie rod pivot. Hopefully you'll find someone who can give that to you.)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  7. hanginlow58

hanginlow58

Do the Volvo box conversion, I think fatmans has parts for that conversion

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. swekustom

swekustom
    from Sweden

I have a ton of the volvobrackets. I would like to get rid of the steering box for header clearence. I managed to get the frontsuspension kit from jamco to work after a lot of work. It had crazy bump steer and a lot more issues.

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I'd do the Summit/unisteer kit..Stock 49-51 steering linkage is not geometrically correct from Ford!! If you measure all the links and where they mount they are unequal side to side in stock form...I would in quire where the mounting bracket will actually bolt so you don't shoot your self in the foot with header clearance...