Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Motor Mounting Madness: Hurst Catalog 1960

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Motor Mounting Madness: Hurst Catalog 1960

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

LOU WELLS likes this.
  2. I sure wish some of the mad fabricators on here would repop some more of this stuff like the SP-150 Spacers and AD-75 Anti-Chatter. Sign me up if you do.

Great article, thanks

3. 504640

Yeah! Sign me up too! I like your idea! I never tire of looking at these old articles and advertisments.

4. I remember some of those ads not really that long ago.......amazing. I sure wish my mirror made me look the way my memory recalls. Just a young pup then....

volvobrynk likes this.

5. jjsound

jjsound

53OlderThanMe, do you have a link to any of those pieces? What kind of market would there be?

6. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

I can remember finding american car Magazines, occasionaly not often, at the local Tobacco shop and checking out the adds , to try to find some cool Sellers. Ordered Honest Charlies's t-shirt and decals, waited like forever, and got a (too small, guess I grew during waiting...) and was king at school. The letters said something like " Can please have tskjorta in large, here is five dollar"
    The Magazines were very hard to find, I saved mine for many years but guess they disappeared someway along the way.

7. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

"Wide stance Sea Leg" I love it!

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Not boring at all, plus it's good for all the kids to see the olden days.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love old catalogs ,keep posting them up. I would think, there'61 book would be the start of the Dual Pattern line. Thanks for sharing.

10. von Dyck

von Dyck

Any engineering reason for '62 and older Corvettes having a very high front motor mount location? Provide less chassis roll during cornering?
    BTW sea legs in stiletto heels???

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I bought and used Hurst mounts for a Chrysler/53 Stude swap. Worked great for me. I would use them now if I was doing a swap.

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The early Corvettes used a '53 Chevy chassis with engine set back...this put engine way behind the crossmember where early style V8 passenger would have mounted, and there was a lot of crazy '53 steering linkage there too. I think the raised-Hurst looking mount was simply a way to get the legs over to the framerails with simple bracketry that didn't require real chassis mods. Sure does look like Hurst thinking.

13. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The old style front motor mounts put more strain on the bell housing (aluminum) when you use a trans crossmember that is toward the rear of the tailshaft.

Ago

14. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Used them to put a SBC into a 48 Willys station wagon. Worked better than perfectly.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Never had a problem with that.

16. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The longer the distance between motor mount ends the more the engine-trans is trying to break in half. A lot of the early old motor trans combination had shorter 3 speed trannys. You might not have a problem, but I read somewhere that the heavier the engine- trans combination it could be an issue. On another issue, I read in Circle Track mag years ago that a Lakewood style bellhousing (steel) would oil-can flex more than a stock GM cast aluminum bellhousing. I know it doesn't seem to make sense, but that is what was recommended.
    Ago

17. SimonSez

SimonSez

Definitely not boring - thanks for posting!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. flamingokid

flamingokid

I never get tired of the catalogs,keep 'em coming :)

19. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

i love this stuff please post as much as you can.

20. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

It's the few inches between the front of the motor and where the side mounts are. Not that much more weight being suspended in between. If the vehicle was a wheeler with a transfer case and the entire thing was suspended end to end, maybe. I'm just not seeing it and having done it with no problems it is hard to reach a conclusion to the contrary based upon what someone said.

21. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Hey If it works for you fine and good. I'm not arguing with you. Don't shoot the messenger. I don't know if info was right or wrong just saying.

ago

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. titus

titus

nos hemi hurst adjusta-torque motor mount set up i used in my 34 coupe, i love little details like this, have had a few people noptice but not many.
    downsized_0310041712.jpg
    hurst motor mount with the sp150 u shaped spacers on a customers model A roadster
    downsized_0228040942(1).jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. CalGasser

CalGasser

Speedway Motors makes a Hurst style mount for SBC at $80.00. Don't know if they make them for any other engines or not. I've used this mount for over 25 years with a Lakewood Bellhousing, M21 and never had any problems.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. deto

deto

What does the tensioner bolt press against? The vertical motor mount bolt or the rubber?

25. U-235

U-235

my buddy reproduces the hurst style motor mounts for both the olds and the Y-block Ford. They even come with the old instructions (reprints)....

nochop, sko_ford and volvobrynk like this.
  26. titus

titus

it presses against the motor mount itself, they have a larger hole where the cushion mount comes thru, dunno how it really works or if it does but its a neat detail

jeff

27. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of good information in the "hints" section as well.

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Speedway produces obvious replicas of some of the Hurst line.
    They have the '49-53 Ford and Merc frame mounts, I think early Chevy ones, and instead of A-28 early Ford ones they make a cut-down version that would only work on a boxed frame. They make the spacers but not the ant-chatter parts, but those are so simple you could probably fabricate a set while standing in the fastener aisle at Home Depot...Just a strap bent into a tight U with 2 holes drilled in it.
    I don't remember what engine brackets they have beyond Chevy. The pictures at least look to be direct copies of Hurst.

29. Or wide-stance ear warming....

Inked Monkey likes this.
  30. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

Got any pics of that car?