Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 Ford Sedan rear quarter windows

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by studearch, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Does anyone know the secret to remove the regulator and glass for replacement of the glass? It has come loose but is still sorta connected to the regulator. Since it's a perfect glass, I'd rather not break it getting it out. And how to get it all back in? Any suggestions?

2. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

they are a bitch to get out!! take out the 6 screws holding the reg. did you take out the set screw on the channel? after that it took 2 of us, me holding the window & my friend rolling the regulator. we used a ton of rust penetrant & just kept moving it back & forth til it got past the end of the channel strip. then the window lifts out the top & the reg comes out the bottom.you might look on the ford barn, it seems to me there was a forum post on this there. I let my glass shop re-install it.

3. That's what I thought! I can't believe they did it that way on the assembly line. Thanks for the insight.

4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have done two--removed and reinstalled as the glass shop would not touch them. They come out/go in from the inside. There are two little holes near the top of the inner panel-one removes the screw from the track and the other allows you to get the roller back in the track. Two people job and they go in at an angle with front tilted up as I recall. They are held in by the window track/garnish. As said--regs go out the bottom after glass and track are removed. Hardest part was replacing the new window channel and removing the old one. Wife and I did the 1st one took 1 1/2 hrs !!!! 2nd one took 20 minutes. Not anxious to do another on soon.

5. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

We put gray tempered throughout the '40. I have mostly forgotten how the rear sideglass went in--I think it was forgotten by design.

6. Thanks olscrounger and 40fordtudor. Why they make these things so hard to repair is beyond me. But to quote SuperChicken - "I knew the job was dangerous when I took it."