Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fake Patina paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clips221, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So 9 out of ten people don't know what they are talking about in almost everything.
    Listening to them wisely can increase your potential cash flow by 900%

2. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Some of this "Fake Patina" stuff is approached as an art form. The Rolling Bones cars come to mind.
    No problem with that for me!
    I like it and like to try to figure out how it was done etc.
    It's the ones done as less then art that bring the whole idea down.
    I believe many people think its a cheap and easy way to be cool but in fact, if done correctly, its not that cheap...not easy at all and definately requires a high skill level to make look correct.

3. http://www.paintedrustedroofing.com
    Not just for cars

Antique Rustic is the least expensive of the Painted Rusted Roofing options. This panel is available in a 26 Gauge finish and is done in an SMP Paint Finish.

Antique Rustic is a beautifully detailed paint print. With any paint print it is recommended that you look at it from a distance to get a true representation of what it will look like on the project.

image.jpg

4. I think that you are right as an art form, and done as an art form it is doing what art is intended to do, provoke.

I haven't been up close and personal with that C-10 that was posted earlier in the thread but in the pic it looks pretty natural. I guess in a way you can't say that a vehicle that is done to look like it is covered in patina ( rust) is not neglected. Not something that I would do myself at least not today but it gets done and some people like it.

5. Goodguys had a demo' with base spray, roller, scuff, fleck, and air brush. It was the damnest thing I have seen.

Yes to the art aspect.......if done how I saw.....much wasn't done to the wallet at all. Maybe a coupla' hundred bucks....if that. I'm talking red oxide spray, latex looking roll, oil type fleck.....and who the hell knows on the air brush. A regular car wash of crapola being flung and sung.

To be honest, I didn't even know what the hell they were doing....until the final lap. It was a "Doh!" moment. Wish I had paid more attention, but such is life.

6. TexasDart

TexasDart

yep the C10 looks natural...it even looks like it rusted into the ground. :)

7. LAROKE

LAROKE

You would be wrong and I will be repainting the fenders gloss black at some point.

8. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

People know Fake...it's like putting a Snap-On sticker on a Harbour Freight Tool Box......

draggin49, da34guy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can someone tell me how, in any way, is this a "traditional hotrod". I, personally, don't like anything about it.

loudbang, Special Ed and X38 like this.
  10. It's on bags laying frame with a body drop. What don't you understand :D

3wLarry and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Believe it or not, some people even have fake fuel injection sitting over a 4 barrel carb and you can see the carb! I don't know how they can keep a straight face or sleep at night.

Then of course there are the fake 'flathead' covers for SBC's.

Maybe I'm from another world, but I just don't get it.

12. joey7508

joey7508
    from TX

13. papajohn

papajohn

If you look up the definition of patina it is basically the wear or oxidation on a finish over a period of time. There is no set amount of time. So technically, if you painted 4 layers of different color paint over rust, and sanded thru it, its still patina. Its REAL patina, created by hand, at an accelerated rate.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. I would probably do that.

I don't know why this topic always gets people fired up. If you don't like it, don't do it. I'm not a fan of the really obvious or poorly done patina jobs, but I have seen some that looked right on the money. That brown car at the top of the thread is killer. I would stripe it up and let it ride.

I've done the patina thing once on a car and had people who don't like patina cars tell me it looked cool. I am considering doing it again on another project here shortly. I may even post a how to thread if anyone is interested, assuming it comes out looking good.

Half the people bashing it would drive the hell out of this thing. It's part real and part fake if I remember right.

Attached Files:

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to google "fleshlight". You guys are sick!

loudbang, lewk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. First of all, I don't care what people do. It isn't my car.Do whatever.

BUT! One question....when did fake rust become "traditional"?

Special Ed likes this.
  17. I do prefer the real ones thank you! front view (.)(.) side view }} not [.][.]
    Lookin' back through old pictures post around the web, I see shiny and I see not shiny, (primer) I never see rusty! I'll bet patina, real or fake, would have gotten you laughed out of the county back in the day.

18. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Wait till people start calling them rat rods...hehehehe....then the fight will be on......it's your car...do as I'd do....I'd do it like I wanted it........IT IS YOURS.....it's like me and pinstriping...I do pinstriping for a living...but nothing of mine has it........I basically don't like pinstripes...but I've seen many cars that were Beautiful with the stripes..........

19. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

I hate RrrRrr's [ shit I can't even say it:D ] Those dickheads are into spikes and skulls and "tacked on" crap for the sake of it.
    That link was for the paint job. A paint job is a paint job and if it raised peoples opinions ,then mission accomplished.
    I would love to build a 'glass roadster and paint it "Metallic Ginger" [as in paint job] and non of this patina crap.

That rust paint was originally made for architects to antique wrought iron fixtures etc

20. Funny thing about all this, is I've been doing it for years on 1/8th scale hot rods, and sold the first one, a 32 Roadster for a grand.
    I also had the first two I built featured in an American magazine, and got payed for that too. Maybe I started this crazy trend....:D jk

21. 39 Deluxe

39 Deluxe

Patina is about all I have going for me on this one. Its going to stay that way until I am able to get it running. Merc new tires.jpg

22. ^^^^Real patina^^^.................I think.:D:confused:

23. Kind of like fake boobs, just not the real thing

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

When your wife goes in for a boob job, you don't tell the doctor "Hey, let's make 'em sag more so they will look old." And thus ends my thoughts on fake patina.

SicSpeed, lewk, cktasto and 3 others like this.
  25. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

you could get you a fake blower and put on it to then it would be bad faking a$$:cool:

26. swe64

swe64

where do you start when restoring for keeping car? i start engine trans and brakes interior. and body work at last but i whant to use car also not only on shows
    and if i get tired on it or find a new car and sell it the body work is not fake but you can see it have never been worked on and i can sell it for less im not in this for the money i have a work that brings the money.
    ken
    sweden

Attached Files:

27. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

28. ACinSD

ACinSD

I never understood why someone would take the time to prep, paint, etc.... a car to look like it needs a paint job. Hey, come check out my piece of shit looking car....fooled you, didn't I. There's a 1940 Ford that's at my local Goodguys show every year, nice looking car....except for the paint with it's fake primer spots and such. And, to think, people actually spend extra time painting a car to achieve this look. That shit just doesn't make sense to me. Original patina can never be duplicated. I've seen a bunch of cars that were naturally patina'd where someone sprayed flat clear over them, I think that's ok, especially when you live in a beach town.

29. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm no expert on Chevrolet trucks, but in the '60's this would have been considered a new truck. The wheels aren't right, we never ran 'em that low because bags were non-existent, and the finish would get you laughed out of town. The truck may appeal to some tastes, but I still don't think it is anywhere near "traditional". I have seen very few instances where I think real patina is OK (when the paint is on the edge of being acceptable on its own), but "faux-tina" just makes me shake my head in wonder.

30. So no one on here likes Brookville '32's? . They are just as fake.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.