Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fake Patina paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clips221, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There is an upside to fake patina, if it is good fake patina paint maybe the POS won't rust completely away and when it is no longer popular it can always be painted again.

King ford and kiwijeff like this.
  2. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

alot of work, to make it look like you did no work....

If you're going to the pains of trying to replicate that finish, it would be less work to do a BC/CC paint job and have it look nice.

3. Or a good lacquer job, BC/CC on a trad rod is like a jewel in a pigs snout.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Nope, that's fake shop truck lettering.

kiwijeff likes this.
  5. Fake patina is the new black.:rolleyes:

6. I knew that after the potato and salami remark that fake boobs were not far behind.
    Sweater stuffers and that's is about all they are good for. Personally I prefer to see the sweater on the floor, unless the sweater has artificial stuffing.
    Just my opinion.

Now this has always puzzled me, why doesn't patina rhyme with vagina? Fake vaginas are available too, anyone interested in fake patina might also fancy a fake Vajayjay.

It's strange how folks think,
    Patina is a badge earned, to want that is admirable but faking it is on the other end.

7. ................................After reading your post I'm convinced of it.:D

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  8. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

kiwijeff likes this.
  9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always heard it said "like a diamond in a goats ass"

10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Not a fan but this is fake, seen at Indy a few years ago. Same guy did a 51 Chevy coupe that fooled everyone. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418237916.724924.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Cough. Fleshlight Cough Cough

12. Awe heahhhhhh :oops:

Coming from you guys that really hurts :p:D

13. remember I didn't say that, now if I think there is something wrong with you that is really bad.Anyway you're alright at least as alright as we are. Oh and can we borrow that fake whatchamacallit thingy? Damn we lost our train of thought.
    Damn, I wonder if that hurts as much as a kidney stone.

I personally am not interested in fake patina, but if I ever by a Renault maybe some Faux-tina would be OK.

To each his own, I don't think that a kit is necessary if one would search old posts I am sure that there is a tech that shows how it is done.

14. We have now sunk to a new low...

lewk likes this.
  15. And you didn't think this was low? well we slid that one past ya. :D

This train has run right off the tracks and I just can't look away. My eyes, my eyes.

16. lol probably make a damn good shifter knob....then again...I'd always be stuck in gear ! Maybe my straight front bumper doesn't need a fleshlight shifter after all ?

Wait....what are we talking about again ???

lewk likes this.
  17. I like shiny paint, and I don't mind earned patina, but fake is fake.
    In saying that, I was impressed looking at the panel they paint in the link, very well done, if you like the RR thing, which I personally don't.

18. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

You can absolutely fake patina in a test tube. I have about a dozen salts here in the lab that rust/oxidize steel in just about any color and pattern I want for art installations. Does not mean that I would use it on a car though. Rust is rust the rest is just art. Now personally for me hot rods are painted with good bodywork and nothing else, totally cool with cars being still restored being weathered though.

I did once paint a car with clear though to get it through a winter and I wanted to show off the lead work to clients.

19. Jeff there is an art to it for sure. I think as much as we don't care for anything fake most of us can appreciate the skill that it takes to pull some of it off.

I like things that look like the owner cares for them, patina when it hasn't reached the point of no return, primer, paint etc. face how we care for our vehicle is a direct reflection on us.

Dick Stevens and kiwijeff like this.
  20. Your right it is fake patina and you don't hear a lot of p&m about it.

21. chrisp

chrisp

What's wrong with a Renault?

22. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like some fake patina a lot more than some paint jobs I've seen.. I'll take fake patina over 80's or 90's mono chrome, big side graphics, pastel paint, over done flames and pinstripes anytime.. Oh yea, I think the 34 coupe looks great....

lothiandon1940 and 3wLarry like this.
  23. Just the only French car I could come up with off the top of my head. :D

I guess I could have said next time I build a car with a French flathead. ;)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you have to ask, you would not understand the answer, even if we explained it to you :D:D

25. LAROKE

LAROKE

I guess I like the patina fad more than the seventies fad "flocking".

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. We could start with they won't pull an old sick woman off a bed pan I suppose. :eek:

27. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I said it b4 and got flamed..I dont get it.I dont like flat paint jobs either!

28. swe64

swe64

1 out ot 10 people want me to restore my dayly driver gmc 1958 the other 9 sayes dont tuch anything.i did otherwise it will still be in texas behind a barn.sold the 57 to a man who leave it like this.
    ken
    sweden

Attached Files:

29. Personally, I can like it if done "artfully". Like it just happened naturally and not look contrived. Takes some skill.

Perhaps it's another form of the centuries old tradition of ornamental painting?

Either way, the best part is how it seems to piss off so many folks.......

30. dunno, to me it looks like the guy painted it and wet sanded the color down. I dont get it, but its not my ride and I dont have to get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.