Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lakes pictures. P.R.C.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodiemike, Sep 19, 2014.

1. firingorder1

firingorder1

The Elco Twin Spl. just blows me away!!!! I am such a sucker for that style. As always amazing photos. What a generation to have been part of ! What a history in your hands !

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Thanks for sharing your 'treasure' with us. Really cool pictures from the time.

Stogy likes this.
  3. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

How did I miss this thread until now? Anyways, thanks so much for taking the time for posting these photos for all of us to enjoy.

Stogy likes this.
  4. KKrod

KKrod

View attachment 2782375
    Mike

I looked at an online inflation calculator. It says that $1.00 in 1947 had the same buying power as $10.84 in 2014.

So a $500 dollar car in 1947 would be about $5400 in todays dollars.

An $800 dollar car in 1947 would be about $8700 in todays dollars.

That is cheap by today's standards but was still a significant cost in 1947. Not sure how I got on that rabbit trail!!! Just always wondered.

CostOfAHotrod.jpg

http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    Stogy, volvobrynk and firingorder1 like this.
  5. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello firingorder1, I knew you would enjoy the Bonneville entry fee!!! I'm sure you would like to see that today! It's always interesting to see the prices of things back then. Thank's for the comment, I always look forward to what you have to say. I will post a couple more articles regarding Bonneville for you. One is an article in the June 11-12 1949 S.C.T.A. program where they are talking about the possibility of running at Bonneville, and the other is the class rules for Bonneville. Hope to hear from ya, and enjoy.

scan0006.jpg scan0007.jpg

6. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello Don; thank you for your comments. As usual, they are very informative and insightful! I thank you very much for the comments, as they add so much to the post!

Stogy likes this.
  7. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks again, Mike, for all this history...the article mentions Stan Drake's roadster with the 290" "Voigt Mercury engine..." I wonder if that is Fritz Voigt, who passed away just last week,...the engine master for Mickey Thompson and so many other guys, including Ed Roth and Jesse Lopez?

8. firingorder1

firingorder1

Mike, what can I say??? This is the THREAD OF THREADS!!!!!!!!!!! As a child I dreamed of Bonneville. Like so many things life got in the way and I've only been able to race at El Mirage for the past 15 years and Bonneville for eight. To be able to see how simple things were back then is wonderful. Bonneville and El Mirage are those magical places that when you pull onto the salt (or the dirt) you feel like you are stepping back in time. I'm a bottom feeder when it comes to LSR but I love it none the less. When you look down the salt and the starter gives you the go sign, well................nothing like it. Your postings are, for me, magic moments and I look forward to you postings.

This may be out out place here. And if it is tell me and I'll delete it. But this view is really the best in the world.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    Stogy, kidcampbell71 and Pat Pryor like this.
  9. AHotRod

AHotRod

Hot Rod History at it's best.
    Thank you.

Stogy likes this.
  10. 296ardun

296ardun

Not out of place for me, at least....thanks for posting!

Stogy and Atwater Mike like this.
  11. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with you 296ardun!! It's got wheels right!!! I love the perspective of the clip from behind! It gives all of us who have not had the opportunity to be on the "salt" a little feel of what it would be like. Thank's for posting. I can relate to the feeling that you get when you get ready to head down the salt. In the 70's my Dad, Brothers and I had a blown alcohol funny car that we ran. I drove the car, and like you said, there's nothing like the rush you get when you jump on that "loud pedal"!!!! Thank's again!

Atwater Mike and Stogy like this.
  12. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a picture of some really cool "belly tankers" that I thought I would post. Hope all of you enjoy.

scan0008.jpg

Stogy, Pufff, kidcampbell71 and 4 others like this.
  13. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Karl;
    For some reason I cannot reply to your post? Anyway; as far as I'm concerned, you can go down any "rabbit hole" you desire! Always glad to hear what you have to say. If memory serves me correctly, my Dad had said that he was making somewhere around $4.50 an hour back then!! Thank you for posting.

Stogy likes this.
  14. firingorder1

firingorder1

Who doesn't love tanks? Never seen one you couldn't love. Glad the video was acceptable. That was the best run of the week. 129.774 for the mile and 134 at the 2 1/4.

P.S. Had to laugh. Bonneville entry 1949.....$7.50. Entry fee for 1950........$10.00. Didn't take them long to figure it out. Things haven't changed all that much.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    Stogy likes this.
  15. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

firingorder1...like I said, loved your post! 134 is definitely "picking em' up, and putting them down"!! It must feel twice that in the open, and so low to the ground! And you are right on the Bonneville entry monies, didn't take them long to figure that out!! Thank's again.

Stogy and firingorder1 like this.
  16. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the Holiday's rapidly approaching, I seem to be running short on time also. You all know the drill...putting up lights [outside&inside], getting the tree, getting the gift's, etc,etc! Shop for that, shop for this. Never seems to end, and never seems to be enough time. Oh well...such is life. Anyway.....had a enough time to throw together a few things for your viewing pleasure. Some pictures, and a couple of articles. As always, hope you enjoy, and keep the ball rolling!!

IMG_1127.JPG scan0012.jpg scan0013.jpg scan0010.jpg scan0011.jpg

Stogy, Pufff, kidcampbell71 and 3 others like this.
  17. firingorder1

firingorder1

Thanks again Mike. If the chores of the season take over like they tend to and you don't get back here before Christmas I like to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year.

Stogy and hendelec like this.
  18. KKrod

KKrod

Thanks for the photos Mike. You keep coming up with great photos and information. Best Christmas season wishes to you and your family!

I like the program you posted this time. Now I'm interested in more information on Rulon McGregor the person that the program was dedicated too.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

In 1947 $800 was probably 30-40 total WEEKS pay for a gas station mechanic. So it was a lot of money.

20. mrobvious34

mrobvious34
    from Canyon, TX

that is some awesome stuff

Stogy likes this.
  21. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Thanks Mike. Just read this whole thread. This made my day. Now I gotta go get my 27 roadster out and take a cruise.

Stogy likes this.
  22. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks also,Mike, another journey down memory lane.

Interesting memorial piece at the bottom of the program on Rulon McGregor...there was an article on the accident a few years back in TRJ. Apparently he was driving back on the return road after making a run when a '40 Ford coupe drove across the course and right in front of Rulon. He was killed, along with two of the three guys in the '40, one of the worst lakes accidents on record. Rulon , who was driving a rear-engined T roadster built by Bill Burke, also had a '30 Merc semi-custom with a Carson top that his parents preserved for years, was finally sold a few years ago, went to storage in the Petersen Museum.....

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  23. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello zzlegend, you are welcome. And wanted to let you know that you made my day with the "visual" of you getting that 27 out for a ride!! Awesome!! Thanks.

24. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As always 296ardun, your knowledge is astounding!! I always look forward to seeing what you have to contribute. I thank you. As I've said before, It's the vast knowledge of all of you out there that give this thread so much depth!! I always love to hear what anyone has to say. Thank you.

25. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy....time is definitely getting short!!! As in none! Had to get a quick note in to all though. firingorder1 I'm going to post an article from the Sept. 24-25, 1949 S.C.T.A Program regarding the First Bonneville Meet. I think It's pretty interesting reading. Hope ya enjoy. Also posting the 1948 Competition Rules. As I keep going through all these pictures and information, I keep getting all these "duhhhh moments"! You know what I mean; "can't see the forest for the trees"!! As I'm reading the rules, number T-7 smacks me in the forehead! Cars must run a hood. I flash back to my Dad in my Uncle's T and the so called "hood" he was running! Yeah...now I get it!!! I'll also post that picture with what looks to be just a piece of sheet metal for the hood. It must have worked. Rule doesn't say it had to be pretty!! I don't think I will be able to post till after the New Year, so I want to take the opportunity to sincerely wish all of you a "safe" and Happy Holiday!!! I sincerely look forward to hearing from you all soon, and will get back to the album as soon as I can. Thank you.

scan0014.jpg scan0015.jpg scan0016.jpg scan0017.jpg

Stogy, Pufff, kidcampbell71 and 4 others like this.
  26. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

img098.jpg img099.jpg img100.jpg img102.jpg I mentioned that the photo of no. 98 C Roadster was the entry of George Kalem (RoadRunners), taken at the May 25, 1947 SCTA meet. I was there and the guy I was with took some photos of the cars when they came back from a run to get their times. Each car would come back behind the timing stand and an official there would write their speed on their run sheet. Note how many guys were viewing the proceedings. That meet was considered to have the most spectators of all the early lakes meets.
    img101.jpg Here are a few of the photos.
    This is George Kalem. His Edelbrock equipped Mercury flathead engine drove the roadster to a 119.52 mph time. The Engle Machine Shop entry was the entry of Frank Coon (Low Flyers). He turned 125.52 mph and would go on to be a famous race engine builder. The top photo was of Ray Brown (RoadRunners) He recorded a 115.08 mph time. His roadster has now been restored to it's former glory. Roadster no. 588 was Elvin Hunter's (Almegas) supercharged entry. The blower moved him into the D class. He recorded a 114.50 mph time. Class C Streamliner no.88 was Veda Orr's (Albata) entry but it appears that her husband Karl is in the driver's seat in the photo. His time was 124.64 mph. The last picture is of car 18 run by Dick kraft, later famous for his dragster at Santa Ana known as the "Bug" and for a beautiful track style roadster.
    Al these photos were taken on May 25, 1947. It was a nice day at the Lakes and I was there.
    Don www.montgomeryhotrodbooks.com
    img097.jpg

63fdsnr, Stogy, Pufff and 7 others like this.
  27. KKrod

KKrod

Bringing this back up to the top.

Stogy likes this.
  28. KKrod

KKrod

Those pictures really give a perspective on the crowds on hand. Wow!

Stogy likes this.
  29. I have been lurking in the back ground on this post and thought I had best chime in and send out a big THANKS for all the outstanding photos and information you have posted for all of us to enjoy.
    This is the best to come along in some time.......Keep it going

Stogy likes this.
  30. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the post Don. As always, fantastic pictures, and commentary! Thank you. I'm right there with Karl K regarding the perspective from the car's coming back through to get there times. That really is a great view. Definitely a different perspective on the event. I've seen a few pictures of this, but none showing just how big the crowd was that day! Awesome!! And again, a "picture is worth a thousand words". The #588 car again shows how these cars were street driven all the time. It still has a license plate on, and you can see where the lights can be put back on for the street. It's been said before, and will be again, that these guy's used these car's daily! Another thing regarding this car is the hood. Again rule # T-7. Now is Karl Orr [#88] driving with a bow tie classic or what!! Didn't see anything in the rule's for that. Maybe he got some "style points"!! Again thanks Don, and Karl.

Atwater Mike, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.