Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are YOU doing to get ready for the 2015 Meltdown Drags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Its a vicious circle, because if you have a high pressure plate, then you need the added inertia of a heavy flywheel to keep the engine from bogging when you drop the clutch, especially with stick tires, and tall 1st gears in the trans, like the common 2.20 low found in M21 & M22's. The added bummer of the heavier flywheel to try an overcome the high pressure plate, is more broken driveline pieces when the added inertia shocks those pieces. The best bolt it in and forget about set up I've found is a 10-11" ceramic disc, 1800-2300 lb. pressure plate, and 15-30lb. flywheel. Small stroke engines will generally require heavier wheels, regardless. If you want a set up that will take lots of ability McLeods Soft Lock & Rams equivalent are pretty cool, but you'll have a learning curve. I have used the ceramic deal with 1350lbs & 20 grams of counter weight, but the Soft lock when set up properly, and more importantly broken in properly, will allow only 250-350 lbs of base pressure, with the rest added in via counter weight (usually around 21 grams total), and shifting is much smoother with any trans (that's in good mechanical condition) Tim Hyatt has just come out with pressure plate that has the ceramic/bronze material on it which reduces warping of the pressure plate.
    Very cool, but be prepared, the adjustable slipper clutches start out in the $2000 range.

2. 1bad32sedan

1bad32sedan
    from Wisconsin

BigE (91whitestang) is gonna be the King of red lighting. Cause that's the ONLY way he will ever out run my 32 sedan with his "STAGE FRIGHT" model A. Yes BigE I have heard about the hit list.

3. bigslim55

bigslim55

Squirrel, I've found 1 problem, I removed shocks & found their CE2615 shocks. I found I can push one in & pull out rather easy but the other went in easy but pulled out very very slow! So I have to adjust that one.
    I also let front end hang & took a shock measurement of 16.5" eye to eye bolt center. Shock is 14.75" extended. Should I run with that shock or find one with longer travel? Jim...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Hahahaha this is awesome! That sedan might make it to the starting line, but it will most likely be hauling groceries and going to soccer practice before it will ever stand a chance at running with "the main stage" model a coupe.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    30dodgeboy and II FUNNY like this.
  5. 55chieftain

55chieftain

So looking at my main hoop for my CE 8pt roll bar for tri-5 chevy, the bottom is pretty wide. I take it this needs mandrel bent? Do I have it bent with a single bend after the middle bar and have an angle at the frame like the pic or try to have it double bent so it is vertical where it will get welded to the frame? I believe my frame is wider than a tri 5

[​IMG]

6. Hey man, you talk'n guff about the "W"idow Maker?

7. squirrel

squirrel

I would try to find a longer one. How much up travel is there in the shock, after the suspension bottoms?

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would just put a single bend and yes you would want to use mandrel bend or like a pro one not a muffler tubing bender that would crimp the tube.

9. The ford is coming along good did some more hacking and got the rear rims this week threw old tires on it so I could see what length rear end I need hope to get it ordered in the next few weeks

Attached Files:

Butch M likes this.
  10. I'm looking forward to seeing your Ford finished stokedstang331.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  11. powrshftr

powrshftr

Oooooooh Shiiiiiiiit...!!!!

That car is gonna be evil! :D

Scott

12. Was this car a Mainline, Crestline, or?

13. It's a Fairlane club sedan. Base model fairlane with a v8 and bone stock only weighed little over 3200 pounds

14. What am I doing for the 2015 Meltdowns? Well another thing as of late is helping Art the "Grape Farmer" tune up his little 355 Chevy. Seems that he wants to use his passion fruit Nova to rename some Chevelle with a goofy wheelbase? Ya, I think the name ole Art picked for that Chevelle was.., uh.., oh ya.., "All Smacked Up"!

30dodgeboy, II FUNNY and beebee78 like this.
  15. call it "The Five of Clubs"

16. Any of you knuckle heads make it to the PRI show in Indy this week, come by the CP- Carrillo booth, and say Hey.

Bad Banana likes this.
  17. 1bad32sedan

1bad32sedan
    from Wisconsin

I think the Ole Grape Soda Chevy II is gonna need more than your help to run with the "All Hacked Up" Malibu. He will be lucky if that old junk Muncie holds up IF it starts making power.

18. Ya, I forgot to mention to Beebee King, that a few more ponies & some sticky tires gonna turn that gear box into a "Munchie". Maybe I oughta lone him our Liberty Nash 5 speed so he can stink up that Malipoo.

30dodgeboy and enloe like this.
  19. Art, you could name your car
    "Too Purple II".., by the way, your new racing name is..,"Plum Bob Square Pants"
    Ya I already bought the rights to it, we'll have your bling in Walmart with the spring collection! Fox wear won't know whether to shit or go blind when they see our advertising campaign, and with all the proceeds you'll be able to by a spare Saginaw for the Duece!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  20. Ric - look out for Quain he is going to be at PRI. Wish us mere mortals could go to that ;)

I was reading one of the mags Enloe gave me - 1961 Hot Rod. Says the Stone & Woods car was 3600 lbs :eek:
    charge3.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    loudbang likes this.
  21. powrshftr

powrshftr

I think Art's skating along on a shoestring budget like me,trying to find that sweet spot between tons of cheap power,and piles of busted parts.:)

Personally,I like the challenge of trying to make low budget parts run hard....Although every time I crank out a 6200rpm leave,I flinch a bit...lol!

Scott

22. powrshftr

powrshftr

Dog:
    That was the 'Swindler "B" ' car,with a couple hundred pounds of lead shot in that pipe bumper slung way back on those looooong brackets:)

Scott

23. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I hear ya Scott so far every time the Willys has left at 5000 rpm it has broken parts lol so far it has at least been able to limp back to the trailer lol but good god it's awesome at least for a brief moment

24. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

Yepper budgets suck, usually I try and up grade one big thing a year this years been ruff building the new nose and now trying to upgrade the power plant some? Gonna have to pinch and save to try and compete but it'll be worth it in the end lol!! Gotta love race cars and racing!!!

powrshftr likes this.
  25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My budget is solely dependent on other peoples money.
    I spend most of the time talking like a bankrupt J?w.

26. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

It's a long vertigate shifter
    http://m.summitracing.com/parts/lon-vj-1000

Pricy but you won't miss a shift watch videos of Quain and Donavan Stott on you tube shifting.

27. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Occasionally you can find Long shifters on ebay or craigslist if you look regularly.

28. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

3600 lbs! Maybe there is still hope for my car!

II FUNNY likes this.
  29. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

Ill second that

30. Someone at PRI must have captured Ric. He's probably pouring cast pistons in the orient by now. Does that look like him in the back ?

26manholexlarge1.jpg

55belairx2 and saltflats like this.