Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Falcon hard top gasser

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gameoverbuilt, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Gameoverbuilt

Gameoverbuilt
    from Oklahoma

It seems like all the falcon gassers are sedans. My brother gave me a 63.5 falcon hardtop. Anyone have any pics of hardtop gassers?

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The reason behind that is simple. Traditionally, the 2 dr. sedan version of a car is the lightest and stiffest of the platforms. The hardtop is almost always more flexible and in most cases weighs a bit more due to stiffening to kill some of that flexibility.

Now, you aren't asking for my opinion, but I'll give it. The hard top '63 Falcons are just too damn pretty in their stock form to mess up for a gasser, especially one that is not really correct for it's place in history. Build something cool from it, but a gasser wouldn't be my choice.

petes65usa likes this.
  3. I'll agree with Louvers... The '63 Falcon hardtops had a very limited racing history, mostly road racing and rally when in 'Sprint' mode. I don't recall ever seeing a 'drag' version. Keep in mind that a four-barrel motor was never available in a Falcon in the US until the very last year of production in the '70 1/2' models (a stripped Torino sedan). There were a bare handful of '64-65 Falcon Hardtops built for A/FX and B/FX racing (a 'sorta' answer to Mercury's Comets) and a few privateers roadraced them, but Ford wanted the emphasis on the then-new Mustang so the Falcon sank back into racing obscurity until low used prices made them good race bait in the later 60s/70s.

They can make a great street car with only minimal mods, and the hardtops were the prettiest of all the Falcons.

petes65usa likes this.
  4. Imperial66

Imperial66
    from NC

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The terms "Gasser" and "Street Freak" seem to get interchanged around here on a daily basis...

AHotRod and squirrel like this.
  6. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

While we're on the subject, is the roof/windshield/rear window the same on '63, '64 and '65 Falcon hardtops?

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Imperial66 - two great bodies

Imperial66 and hendelec like this.
  8. Yep, and the Comet shared the same bits.

9. rlsteel

rlsteel

my 63 from almost 40 years ago one of two I had falcon.jpg

petes65usa likes this.
  10. Gameoverbuilt

Gameoverbuilt
    from Oklahoma

I really wanted to build a gasser but I do agree with you guys the sedan fits the bill better. Maybe I'll trade it off for a sedan or do something else. Thanks for everybody's input