Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Passing the torch...Father/Son 1951 Chevy 3100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dadz34, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Lil B

Lil B

Great story, very cool (team building) project :)

dadz34 likes this.
  2. BangBam

BangBam

Your build is very clean and a model of how to do things the way it should be done. I love the father and son memories you both will have of this project. God speed and the best to you both.

One truck, one welder, endless possibilities!

dadz34 likes this.
  3. dadz34

dadz34
    from Argyle, TX

Thanks guys...it's been a great project thus far. Nate just turned 15 almost 2 months ago so the deadline is approaching quickly. With high school sports, hunting season and work getting in the way...our progress has been less than we hoped for. As all of you know, life can tend to get in the way of completing these projects. Not to be discouraged, we have been plugging away every chance we get. Allow me to get you caught up...

Chassis Wiring:

Since the frame is constructed from rectangular tubing, I decided to show Nate how to protect the wiring for the next couple of decades(...or at least until he and his kids decide it's time for a rebuild) by running all wiring to the front and rear of the truck inside the frame. For example, all front wires such as headlights & turn signals, horns, and cooling fan is routed through the frame to the extremities. The rear wires such as brake lights, turn signals, trailer wiring, electric fuel pump and fuel sender for the gauges were ran towards the back. While it was time consuming, we used a fish tape and "gently" pulled the wires through the frame being careful not to chafe or burn the insulation or cause any shorts. Note we also ran separate grounds for each circuit and used Weatherpack connections so as to protect from the environments. We completed the installation by thoroughly testing all wires to be in working order so there should be no troubleshooting necessary later when it's go-live time.

1951 Chevy Truck - 6263.jpg

1951 Chevy Truck - 6256.jpg

1951 Chevy Truck - 6259.jpg

1951 Chevy Truck - 6253.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  4. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

Very cool! My dad and i restored a roadrunner and camaro, and it was prob the best two experiences ive ever had in the car hobby. What you and your son are doing is awesome! Great job!

dadz34 likes this.
  5. BangBam

BangBam

Very clean install as always. Like the leveling censors. I have ready this post twice over and looked at all the photos love this build. Craftsmanship is top notch.
    Life does tent to get in the way of these builds. Keep on plugging away at her and she will be done in no time.
    Happy belated birthday to Nate. He will have the coolest ride when he gets the keys.

One truck, one welder, endless possibilities!

dadz34 likes this.