Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical sbc starter selinoid wireing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jan bogert, Dec 8, 2014.

1. jan bogert

jan bogert

so my starter went on my '41 willys sbc. I never seen the S wire on the selinoid go to the main battery post on the selinoid like a small jump wire. does this sound correct? I just got the truck and don't know to much about it.

2. It's correct if there's a ford style solenoid someplace.
    That jumper is part of the conversion when using a remote solenoid

3. indyjps

indyjps

Try this, ford/remote solenoid is the way to go, if you have it, keep that set up

Attached Files:

4. jan bogert

jan bogert

what I'm saying is it has a chevy starter and selinoid. the S on the selinoid is going to the large post where the battery main cable is going to the selinoid. does this sound correct? the selinoid has only one small terminal the S and like I said its going to the larger battery terminal on the selinoid.

5. What I said was not comprehended.

Tell me where the large starter cable from the starter goes to?

Now where does the positive battery cable from the battery go to?

6. 31 is saying that when you use a second solenoid like one from a Ford then you jump the start wire on your chevy starter to the hot post. its an old hot rodder trick to avoid heat sink problems.

if the only solenoid in your system is the GM solenoid then it is wired wrong.

7. jan bogert

jan bogert

the pos. from battery goes to the large post on the selinoid, and the S on the selinoid goes to the same place. the selinoid has 2 terminals only one small ter. and one large post.

8. Yup, follow the starter wires upstream, you probably have a Ford type solenoid somewhere.

9. jan bogert

jan bogert

ok I see,, but I don't see an ford selinoid the motor did start like this when I got it but to me it didn't seam right.

10. jan bogert

jan bogert

thanks guys, I'm going out there now to put the new starter in i'll have a good look around.

11. Se if the battery cable running to the starter is going directly to the battery or if it makes a stop somewhere along the way. if it goes directly to the battery then you need to unhook the exciter wire from the battery post on the starter solenoid and run it to your starter switch. if it stops somewhere along the way then you are wired correctly.

12. jan bogert

jan bogert

ok Pork & Beaner

13. If
    you don't have a ford type solenoid in the positive cable someplace
    Then
    That little jumper is wrong
    And
    as soon as hook the ground up the engine will crank.

So be careful please.

If your old one had the little jumper and worked fine your new starter will need it too.

14. jan bogert

jan bogert

guys there is a ford selinoid on the frame rail. I put the new starter in and I get a klunk noise. the only thing between the battery and starter is that ford selinoid. I'm going to change it out. this is weird the motor was shot, so I had one built by ECAM. the old motor started, I put the same flex plate on and starter when I went to start the motor it did this klunk sound. open for sugestions. the truck was built by Rob Ida when he was 14 and sold it to buy a house and get married when he was 22. he confirmed the truck by pics I sent him. so do u agree on changing out the ford selinoid?

15. Jan, Please learn how to spell solenoid.

Bill

16. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Make sure all electrical connections are clean and tight, especially the cable connections on the battery.

17. prpmmp

prpmmp

18. jan bogert

jan bogert

found the remote solenoid, it was shot. got it to turn over. now I need the hei plug for the distributor. thanks to all of you I didn't even think of a second solenoid.

19. indyjps

indyjps