Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Had to have this 31 A! (Update!)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31pickemup, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Very cool old hot rod.....I like it the way it is, make it safe and drive the crap out of it.

31pickemup, volvobrynk and Denns1989 like this.
  2. I loved it when you first posted & loving more & more as you post more pics ! Love your plan, now drive the wheels off it !!

31pickemup and volvobrynk like this.
  3. 31pickemup

31pickemup

outside.jpg Well I'd love to drive the wheels off of it but I definitely need to dig in and repair some things. I had some time to push it outside in the warm weather to start making a list of what needs done. It's a beast to push outside so I know the brakes need gone thru. Also I am leaking some oil. Does anyone know if the pan can be pulled and new rear seals installed in a 48 flatty?

Tim and volvobrynk like this.
  4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I know I'm running the risk of sounding redundant but... That thing is Sweeeeet! We're talkin SnewPee sweet here. Lol

"I need my mirror boy"

volvobrynk and 31pickemup like this.
  5. I got $.02 here for your oil leak. Change the oil if you haven't already.
    Run the car a while. Sometimes the pan seals shrink when sitting
    and running the car a while may swell them up and seal up again.
    Just my experience not a gospel! 20w-50 also helps.
    Picture is again awesome BTW!

volvobrynk and 31pickemup like this.
  6. Nice, Very nice! :)
    -Pat

7. Ha ! The guy who built Snewpee was reading magazines and was inspired by quality built cars like this one that 31pikemup now has & then decided to build one of his own just like in the magazines... minus the fit & finish ! :)
    I left this post open on the computer & my wife takes one look at this car and says to me "that's a nice looking Jalopy, why doesn't yours look like that ?" Ouch... ha ha

Tim and Runnin shine like this.
  8. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Nice Car!!!!

WACCUSTOMS.COM
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. 31pickemup

31pickemup

The guy who built Snewpee was reading magazines and was inspired by quality built cars like this one that 31pickemup now has & then decided to build one of his own just like in the magazines... minus the fit & finish ! :)
    I left this post open on the computer & my wife takes one look at this car and says to me "that's a nice looking Jalopy, why doesn't yours look like that ?" Ouch... ha ha[/QUOTE]

Ouch! Man thats way off! Snewpee is awesome. Believe me the craftmanship of this car isnt perfect. You get underneath and it's just like every other build from the era. Half of it looks like they cut everything with a torch and never owned a grinding wheel. It's built sound but ugly! From the firewall back its a Z'd 48 chassis. Forward they used Model A rails. This one actually had motorcycle fenders on the front like your Snewpee does. But have been lost with time. They're closer than you think. Snoopy is a great car! Cleveland Autorama is a week after the detroit show. You should consider putting Snoopy in that show. They're trying to make it bigger than Detroit. Im sure I could arrange a comfy spot right next to mine if you're interested!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    1927graham and Runnin shine like this.
  10. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Congrats on the coupe it's definitely a cool piece, if you want to know more about the car Give Mark a call he's my father, he did a lot of work to the car and will be glad to give you more info. mark 862-268-0676

loudbang and 31pickemup like this.
  11. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Ah the missing piece :)

1927graham likes this.
  12. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it...!

I'd love to meet you both!:)

31pickemup likes this.
  13. Hmmm I had been considering the Detroit Autorama because my cousin lives nearby & it's about a 5/6 hour drive for me, Cleveland is still in the possible range, but more like an 8 hour drive... big challenge is seeing if someone around here would rent an enclosed trailer to me... I would love to attend a big show like that, especially in the company of cars like 31pickemup, that would be fun to have these 2 side by side !!, if I did that would be Snewpee's first show in at least 44 years !

14. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

I run up to Deerborn, MI from Youngstown, OH to see the Henry Ford Museum in the summers and it is about 4 hours and 275 miles for me. The Henry would be a nice stop for you if you've never been there. I'd say it would be about an hour less to Cleveland from Detroit. The Cleveland show is very nice, as we go up there almost every year. It would be a treat to see those two survivors together at a show. My girlfriend got me a new camera last Christmas and everything!

15. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

16. Seriously consider having these two cars together at the show. Let people see and enjoy two pieces of TRUE AMERICAN HOT ROD HISTORY!!!

17. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Well I finally had the time to get out in the garage and start going thru some things. The car never rolled very easy so I figured the brakes needed some attention. I pulled the rear hub and found that the brakes were in great shape except I had a broken spring on the right rear and thats why the rear was tight. . But my biggest surprise was that the brakes were on upside down!!!! I'm not even sure if you can run them like this. It's never crossed my mind to put them like that. Another cool thing that I noticed was that the shackles had grease fittings! Old school. unnamed (5).jpg unnamed (7).jpg unnamed (6).jpg

18. Thats just too cool man...what a score

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Love the originality. Wouldn't touch a thing, a time capsule.

20. alchemy

alchemy

Guys who run A springs on top of the axle sometimes turn the brakes upside down for clearance of the wheel cylinder. As long as your bleeder is at the top of the cylinder (it's not upside down), you should be OK.

Notice the inside surface of your backing plate, right inside the outer lip? See the scraped bare strip? That is from the brake drum rubbing, and might be a source for some squeaks. Might want to grind a little off the lip of the drum while you have it off to prevent those squeaks.

21. AHotRod

AHotRod

We need more pictures of it outside ..... for our 'screen savers' !

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Notice the cylinder swapped side to side to get the bleeder on top and large bore forward

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    Tim likes this.
  23. pumpman

pumpman

Gee's everything has been said, it' just nice to see the right guy got it. I'm amazed it was on ebay, who would of thunk it?

24. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Serious question here, not being a wise ass but how does a thicker oil stop leaks? I would think the increased oil pressure would force more oil out through the leaky spots.

I'm asking because one of my flatheads has a leak at the rear seal (no surprise there) and since I changed the oil from a straight 30 to a 10/30 the leak has worsened.

25. pumpman

pumpman

The straight 30 weight has a greater viscosity then the multi grade.

26. Not to hyjack this thread.....
    On the oil leak question, I use 20w-50 year round in Upstate NY.
    Yes I drive in winter.
    Seems to work best. It's only 20w in the winter, starting up.
    The rest of the time, 3 seasons, and when it's hot it's 50 weight.
    So overall thicker oil leaks less.
    Just my $.02 and experience.
    By the way, My car weeps every fluid in it!
    Oil, trans oil, diff oil, shock oil, steering box oil!
    And a little anti freeze!
    Been doing it for 10 years that I've had it.
    Don't know what it did for the 50 years it was in the barn before me.
    Keep 'em runnin!

AHotRod and volvobrynk like this.
  27. nyyyce!!!.............very cool congrats !

28. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Well i had time to investigate the tick in the motor. Pulled the intake then the passenger side cylinder head. 59AB is toast. Going to totally have to rebuild it or find a quick good running replacement. Cylinder walls were bone dry and i had two bent to hell valve spring retainers.

29. 31pickemup

31pickemup

30. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I got a spare 283 if'n you need it :)