Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1959 squarebird mild custom build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ynottayblock, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Beautiful. Nice touch on the bullets too, I love small details like that.

2. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

The bullets look great. Would those qualify as dagmars?

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nice touch with the bumper bullets!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Maybe Dagmar before she hit puberty...

5. loudbang

loudbang

I hope you put some clear or silver paint on the cut edges of the "Bullets" so they don't start to rust on you. :)

6. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Thanks. Me and Ian were talking about doing Syracruse this year with both. We have been talking about doing that show for a few years now.

Me and Ian were joking about the same thing, shes has got A cups

I did. Once I had the shape and fit, I taped of the chrome and sprayed the inside and edges black
    [​IMG]

8. birdman1

birdman1

My favorite T-Bird! I traded my '60 Bird for a junk 1939 Ford coupe. But I love Ford coupe too. keep up the good work.

9. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

This T Bird is looking "Bitchin"

10. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

A little update...

We got to work on the bird over the holidays a little bit. I went down to Mac's and picked up a bunch of small stuff I needed (seals, bushings, gaskets)
    We installed the new bushings in the steering cylinder, and Ian installed the assembly back in the front end
    [​IMG]

Got the A pillar and windshield trim all re-installed, after I gave everything a good polishing
    [​IMG]

finished off the other tail light, and reinstalled both
    [​IMG]

We also re-polished the trim between the roof and body, and I painted the fins gold to match everything else.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then we got the dash back in place
    [​IMG]

straykatkustoms likes this.
  11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Looking great! You're making me look very slow though...;-)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm still looking for bumper bullets for mine. Nice job! It looks like it's coming along very nicely.

13. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Thanks Brian. Im not making you look slow...I dont have any other projects on the go other than this one, I've seen you been bouncing around on a few different projects

Thanks. She is slowly coming together.

14. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

Your bird is really coming along beautifully! The interior will look spectacular wjith the white top. I hope you have considered two tone for the interior. Finally taking photos of your front steering assembly was a smart move. Frame it cause thats the last time you will see it not leaking fluid :)

15. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Looking good.

ynottayblock likes this.
  16. Just keeps looking better and better.

Next time you head to Mac's give me a heads up. You have to drive within about 5 minutes from my house when you pass through St. Catharines. Swing in and have a laugh at my mess :D

17. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Here is what I'm doing for the interior...it will be tri-tone. White, Pearl White and Metallic Gold, with Bronze tufting buttons.
    White around the outer, pearl white insert, with metallic roll inserts at the top and bottom
    As for the steering cylinder...I should frame it haha. Pretty much every one leaks...
    [​IMG]

I might be heading to Mac's this Saturday if my parts are in...I will let you know, I would love to drop by and have a peek.

18. Love the design on the seats! Do you get all your supplies through J. Ennis?

19. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

@K13 I get alot of stuff through J.Ennis and a few other small suppliers. J.Ennis is a good supplier, lots of slecetion and tools. But I'm lucky that i can get alot of supplies through work...I work for a sports equipment manufacturer (hockey equipment) and we use alot of synthetic leathers/foams/threads etc. So I have a really good supply source.

20. Sounds like you are making goalie equipment with that list:D. I am trying to find a good source for materials in Canada the local upholstery shops are super expensive to buy from when it comes to material (they have been great for stuff like glue and thread). I just priced out some more vinyl to finish my interior and they wanted $40/yd for it and I can find the exact same thing online for $15.75. I have a place to ship in the U.S. but being 10 hours from the border the only time I get down there is when I go see customers and that is only 3 or 4 times a year. I don't really buy enough to set up an account with J Ennis either so I have to figure something out or just bite the bullet.:rolleyes:

21. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Hit the nail on the head...yup goalie equipment www.vaughnhockey.com

Upholstery supplies are pretty pricey...and $40 a yard for vinyl seems to be the going rate. I have used US suppliers as the prices seem to be half of what we pay here in Canada. And Im close to the border, so its easy for me to get stuff shipped. But as you know, ordering material online is a gamble, whether the material will be the proper colour and quality. So far though I have had pretty decent luck

22. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

Beautiful design and colors. You are really doing a great job. Before too long I may start a topic on here with some photos of mine. Finally decided on the colors. Are you stitching up your interior yourself?

23. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Definently start a thread on yours....people need to see it. Its on another level.

I will be doing the interior myself. Compared to the stuff I design and engineer on a daily basis, interior parts are quite a bit easier.

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  24. I'm going to be up in Hamilton for at least the morning, not sure when I'll be home but it will likely be after 1. I'll PM you my cell # and address, let me know if you're going to be in the neighbourhood.

25. I really like the gold on these trim pieces. Goes well with the color scheme. Nice detail.

[​IMG]

26. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

Just read thru all 10 pages, What a build! Great work! Can't wait to see the interior

27. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

@Dean Lowe and @PraiseDLowrd Thanks fellas!

I got the breathers and valve covers back from the painter last week. I hand painted the "thunderbird" script on the valve covers in bronze to match the body, and keep the white/gold/bronze/black colour scheme going under the hood. I'm still waiting on my door felts to come in, so I can put the door glass and vent window back in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

straykatkustoms likes this.
  28. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

Tidy up those plug wires!

29. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

haha dont worry, all that spaghetti will be nice and tidy when shes done

30. Cameo Carrier

Cameo Carrier

I really like what you've done with your bird. Love the caps too, obviously. I also need to install the bullets. Lol.

Attached Files:

ynottayblock likes this.