Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 48-52 CADDY HUBCAPS ON STEEL WHEELS...HOW TO ????'S

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ACinSD, Dec 5, 2014.

1. ACinSD

ACinSD

The thread is to share what you did or have done to modify the above mentioned hubcaps to fit on traditional steel wheels. They were designed for caddy wheels and still are when you order them from places like McVey's. The popular '57 Caddy caps are direct snap on to any steel wheel for the most part, however 48-52 require modification. Some have mentioned using JB Weld to attached a trim ring on the backside of the hubcaps as well as some other methods. So, post up your solution...let's see some pics. What parts did you use?

2. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

here is one solution = Cadillac Wheels ( these are available ) IMG_0845.JPG

3. ACinSD

ACinSD

i may be interested. check your messages

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'47-'50 Cad wheel covers need the alterations. '51-'52 covers are kinda cheap looking in comparison, but just snap on as is ...

5. stimpy

stimpy

wasn't it mentioned before that someone sells the clips s you can weld them on your rims ???

6. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

IMG_0850.JPG The backside of a 52 Cad Sombrero

7. Torchie

Torchie

Bop on over to the custom side and check out Jer's Lopez coupe build. He used beauty rings that fit the wheel and then attached them to the sombrero's with adhesive. Seems to be the way that most are doing it currently. Back in the day they attached clips to them to hold them to the wheel. I have been told that they were notorious for coming off at speed.
    Torchie.

8. cool thread...passed on a nice set of 55/56....cause I wasn't sure what they could work on and they weren't those 57's......

9. ACinSD

ACinSD

Apparently, short of finding Caddy wheels that'll work on your custom, attaching trim rings or such to the backside of the sombreros is the way to do it. I've heard most use JB Weld? or other types of super strong adhesives.

10. How were they removed without bending the edge?

11. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

the edges are pretty strong , use a spoon and go around the lip , they come off pretty easy . see the wheels pic at top of the page

12. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Adhesives on stainless, to a trim ring I wouldn't trust.
    Stainless , by nature, forms an oxide layer, that keeps it from "staining".
    Thats why they use stainless, instead of a painted part, for it's corrosion protection, or in certain situations, it's resistance to heat
    The oxide layer mentioned, will form betwixt the stainless, and the adhesive, compromising the bond.
    That's another reason that painted stainless is not prevalent.