Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buick brake drum question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by edwardlloyd, Dec 7, 2014.

1. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

[​IMG]

I have a nice pair of 45 fin Buick drums with original Buick 5x5 hubs still fitted. I also have a pair of shallow Lincoln backing plates and want to fit them to '37 spindles.

But I also have original 5x5 Buick wheels and would like to retain the original Buick hubs. I heard there is an adapter kit available. Anyone know where? Is the adapter kit, different bearings or extra races for the spindles?
    Ed

2. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

3. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Do a search on Buick Brake Adapters. I bought a set from someone on the HAMB about 4-5 years ago. Do not remember who it was, PM me if you want me to hunt further on contact.

4. Search under Jet Doc (backing plate adapter) and 29Rat (hub adapter). May or may not be still available, but with the pics and info, should be easy for a guy with your talents.

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

29Rat has what you need.

6. Brown Devil

Brown Devil
    from Mission Tx

I am also looking for a set of adapters. I sent 29Rat a PM but I noticed that he has not logged in since October. Can someone please relay the message to him. Thanks

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

8. deucemac

deucemac

I used Ford F-2/F-3 backing plates from '49 to '52 and Wilson welding hubs. I substituted '56 F100 wheel cylinders and push rods. The shoes and wheel cylinders are available lots of places. I used Napa or AutoZone. And, If you want auto adjusters, find a full size GM station Wagon with 12" brakes on the rear and use their adjusters. It is a simple conversion and MUCH cheaper that the repop Lincoln conversion. I have over 10K on my roadster without any problems. I used 11" 2 1/4 rear brakes, drums and backing plates from a '74 E100 heavy duty van for the rear and again all parts available from Napa or AutoZone. A slight drum machining is necessary and I mean slight, you can do it on a brake lathe quickly. PM me if you have any questions.

9. 28downunder

28downunder

I've got some Buick brake adaptors that 29rat use to sell that Im not going to use, PM me if your interested.

10. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

29rat is the person that I got mine from. They worked perfectly.

11. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

I have what you need. The adapters enable you to use the stock Buick hubs & drums on early Ford spindles, from at least '39 through '48. The kits might fit earlier spindles too, but I'm not sure. This saves you having to source the correct Ford hubs and have to adapt them to the Buick drums.

These are the exact adapters 29RAT designed, made, and sold. Instead of him waiting for enough pre-orders to do a run of parts, I paid for him to do a run a few years ago, so they'd be available when ever anyone needed a set. I have several sets, and when they're gone, I assume 29RAT will make more, depending on demand.

The adapter kit for two (2) wheels is $70, and includes shipping in the 48 states. PM me if you need a set.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a set made by 29RAT. They work flawlessly.

13. rideordie

rideordie
    from Oregon

I am really wishing I hadn't just removed the hubs from my Buick drums!

14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the same setup as deucemac on my own '32 Highboy. Just turned 18,000 on our return trip from California, and have no problems.

15. Deucemac: What rearend did you put the E100 brakes on? 9" Ford?
    Thanks for the info!