Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Forgotten Treasure Trove of Sixty Cars Worth Millions Found Untouched After 50-Years

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Head, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Road Runner

Road Runner

And another testament how blasé Europeans can sometimes be about preserving their own history that seems just too recent and not all that significant, considering the centuries of priceless ancient and antique art lost to wars, theft and the ages.
    I can't blame anybody who didn't step in all this time and took charge of making the museum a reality.
    There may be more to this story as reported.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  2. Hmmmm... All collected by a fellow named Baillon. Where have I heard that name before? :rolleyes:

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Mid 30's Hupmobiles had windows in the "A" pillar. Seen one of those chopped.

4. frank spittle

frank spittle

Just when you think it can never happen again.........it happens again. It must not snow or storm there.

5. seatex

seatex

Didn't even know Eastwood made "patina preservative", but I somehow don't find it surprising. Kinda a oxymoron, though!

6. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Jim, it is a quite a fine. Yes it does look a lot like your grandfathers collection.

7. Great story and collection. Just when you think "there can't be any more "big finds" out there still!"
    I wonder if the person that buys them will ask "how do I wash a European barn find?" on here....................

ClayMart and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I plan to invest in an auction catalog, sure hope every car gets a well photographed discription. Bob

9. This is in France, right? o_O I'd use some expensive, imported dryer sheets and plenty of fresh cream and butter. :rolleyes:

10. I'll bet the owner of the former "only one in existence" is pissed.
    Some of the more rare ones will be "restored" using a few pieces of the original, with a totally new car built around them, possibly with a different style body work (4 dr. to a cabriolet anyone) to make them even more rare and special.
    It is all too rich and dirty for my taste.

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  11. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Cars like these provide jobs for people with the talent to restore them, hope a few arrive here in the USA. Bob

13. indyjps

indyjps

The prewar stuff could have had quite a history, maybe hidden to prevent them from becoming steel scrap for the war effort. Well, France only lasted about 6 weeks in WW2, so who knows.

14. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

My 2cents?...bunch of European crap...glad none of that rusty shit are fords....THAT would be a shame!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. alsancle

alsancle

"A shot in the Dark"?

16. What is worth rebuilding here?

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Keep playing that clip, and wonder what the little Topolino size coupe with the skirts on all four fenders is? ( Ok, its the Panhard Dynamic mentioned earlier) Sure would like that Amilcar type twoseater in my garage. Bob

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am sure many for a different crowd. I see some I would like to play with to piss off some people.

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"There are none so blind as those who will not see".........some of you guys are so incredibly narrow minded it is astounding! Many, if not most, who say 'there is nothing here to see, move along' would be creaming in your jeans if these were '30s/'40s Fords.......desirable cars, yes, but mass produced and really quite 'common' in their build quality, engineering, and certainly plentiful in their availability at the time.

The cars in this collection are, for the most part, limited production, handcrafted and often sophisticated mechanically and represent some of the best of the best in the world in their day. Maybe you would have greater appreciation if you compared them to revered Customs from noted American builders, looked beyond their country of origin, and dwelled on the minds and hands that brought them to 'life'.

Or, maybe I have it backwards......you DO realize what they are and are just expressing sour grapes.

Ray

62hotcat, wingnutz, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  20. Wait a minute... You mean that customizer Joe Bailon starred in a Pink Panther movie with Peter Sellers? Actually this sort of takes a weird twist. Joe Bailon is credited with building the Pink Panther Car. o_O

21. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Well said,I couldn,t agree more
    Narrow minded ,uneducated people

22. robber

robber

WOW! Very cool images! Talk about yard art...I love each and every one of these sleeping beauties! To me its kinetic art from the past; in hibernation :)

wingnutz likes this.
  23. Maybe someone with some knowledge of what these are can pass the information on to us uneducated folk. Are they rare? Are they worth restoring? What is thier finished value?

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd love to know what everything in there is having worked on French Classisc years ago. Very safe to say just about everything in there is worth the price of any running 1932 Ford for the opening bid.

25. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

The Ferrari with the books piled on it or the Maserati next to it are worth way more than any thing I own,including my house.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The owner of the former only one in existence can buy it and scrap it.

27. Zerk

Zerk

This find makes me glad. More interesting old cars in the world. More detail in the kind of history I love. When they drag the very last forgotten old car from the very last barn, my world will be a colder place.
    I don't feel angry about how stupidly the cars were stored, but surely the owner could have done as suggested by 31Vicky with a hemi, sell off a few of the cars to buy/build an adequate storage facility.
    And what kind of a guy would collect these wonderful cars and never tinker with or drive a couple of them?

28. chrisp

chrisp

Almost every single one of those cars are one off or very low production luxury cars, apparently there even is a king car... Some of them restored could bring you enough money to buy a 32 Ford of every body style produced, even the overseas kind.
    It seems there is at least a Citroen and a Chenard & Walker, these are worth pennies compared to the rest, it's even almost weird to see such popular mass produced cars in there.
    Now I understand why Artcurial wasn't that much interested by what our shop proposed them for the february auction.

29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Lot of possible reasons...Life gets in the way....

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Has everyone picked out the one car in the collection that has a Chrysler HEMI as the original power plant? Bob