Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Skip White

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe Twitchell, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Joe Twitchell

Joe Twitchell

Anyone ever buy any engines from Skip White Performance ?

2. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

never bought an engine but bought a truck load of parts from him great guy!

3. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Same here, Never an engine but a bunch of parts.

4. I bought one of his cheapie HEI type distributors... It works good and they were very courteous and helpful.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. If you live near the Tri-Cities TN area they have a showroom and retail sale store.

I live in South West VA and had originally found Skip White on an eBay ad, but I was very happy to learn they had a physical address and walk-in store... That alone built confidence as I knew there was a place to go to raise hell if they sold me junk.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a finned aluminum timing cover from Skip's and Found it wouldn't fit under the short water pump. I called them, expecting to have to pay a re-stocking fee, as well as postage - they told me to just keep it and credited me (I had bought a lot of other parts from them at the same time) for the full price !!

I've never had Customer Service like that.

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I bought a number of performance parts over time without issue. Then I bought a balanced SBC rotating assembly, by the time it arrived down here the crank was toast and it was the wrong assembly. Turned out it wasn't a 383 but a 350+30, but that's another story. Others have had more success than me.

Rusty crank.jpg

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How did it end up? Did Skip stand behind it or give you your money back or what ?

9. My bro-in-law had nothing but trouble with em. I'd stay away IMHO.

10. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

2013 i bought a 555 chevy crate motor for my henry j. i told them it would be raced and drove on the road.. during dragweek 2013 the cam/lifter let go . i called them and they sent a truck for it,. when i got it back ( at no cost) ,they had replaced the whole short block,, and they went through the heads to make sure everything was right..i dropped it back in, fired right up. got 3rd in 2014 dragweek gasser class, with a 9 second average. i couldnt have been happier with how they took care of me..

Imperial66 likes this.
  11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I won't go into specifics on a public forum but I had to get the crank ground 10/10 as there was no protective coating whatsoever plus it was too expensive to return due to distance and weight. I was lucky to sell everything but in doing this suffered a financial loss by the time you factor in machining and new bearings etc, then buying what I needed locally at a higher cost. Lesson learned, lets say I agreed to disagree with their interpretation of the facts and liability.

12. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry - I didn't notice you were in Australia, so returning the crank would have obviously been too expensive. The crank should have been coated for rust prevention and wrapped better than what it was in the picture you posted, for a journey half-way around the world. I can definitely understand you being upset.

13. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

bullitproof just saw your j hanging the wheels in hot rod ,i would love to do drag week looks looks like a blast

14. badowell54

badowell54

Any new info from anyone about Skip White Performance? We're currently having a little situation with them. Just curious if anyone had anything new to add?