Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A 1933 Ford 5w coupe from a 4 door sedan...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fordgasser1, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I like the way you think! I've been looking for more info on those race car quarters but so far came up empty. As far as i know she raced in central Pa. if I find some old photos of how she looked I would paint her up as raced. Thanks for the compliments!

Thanks! This is nothing compared to your Willys build!

Thanks for the pics/info Rocky. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet but I appreciate your suggestions.

2. glrbird

glrbird

Gasser, have you asked the vintage sprint car thread about any info, there are a lot of older gents that might be able to steer you where to look., lots of racing in the PA. area

3. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks glrbird! I will check it out. The 1/4 panels said SH xxx Grove Auto Sales on them. Been looking on vintage stockcar sites for any 33-34 coupes with lettering on them but no luck so far. There is a Shady Grove, pa. And found a Shady Grove Auto Sales in Md. Might be the place that sponsored the car that wore these Rear 1/4s?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  4. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 004 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 005 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 011 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 009 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 006 (Small).jpg Got a set of inner/outer door patch panels from Daddy_o's_diner(thanks Dave!) and decided to start messing with the door bottoms. Or I should say,the LACK of my door bottoms!Ha ha! I cut the tacks that held the door closed and started trimming. Got a decent fit and lower door gaps without much fussing. Tacked the outer skin on for now,will Tig weld the seam and metal finish off the car to make it easier. Once the outer was in place,started working on the inner. Unfortunately,the lower panel is only part of whats missing on my doors so i'll be fabricating the front and rear parts of the inner door. Cardboard template will show what it'll look like.

48fordnut likes this.
  5. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 003 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 002 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 003 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 004 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 005 (Small).jpg More of the little work getting done while I procastinate about adding a rollbar to this rod. Still on the fence because most early cars didn't have rollbars or at least they were crude but cool. So,do I add one or not and if I do,should it be done in a matter consistent with the late 40's early 50's racers? Anyhow,decided to work on more rust repairs in the PS inner door area. Not real exciting but it had to get done! Cut a small piece of steel with a fold in it about 7" long. Curved it in the stretcher til I got the shape I wanted. Sliced it to make the other contour meet up then added a filler piece for the "step"..Lots of fitting and grinding to get the edges to line up. Tack welded to get the fit right then completely welded and ground smooth.

6. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 003 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 004 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 011 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 014 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 003 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 007 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 016 (Small).jpg A few weeks ago I picked up a busted 39 toploader from my buddy Ken Kuhl. It was complete sans shifter and had the good case and "double detent" tower. Something all real period hotrods should have. I'm so used to driving my 34 with stock trans and shifter this should be a vast improvement! Ken said the trans needed a cluster and second gear and upon disassembly this was exactly the issue. My first idea was to use the gears from an F100 open driveline box that I had sitting around. After disassembly,I found out the hard way the F100 gearset would not work on the closed drive mainshaft due to the reverse/low gear splines being different! UGH! Back to square one! Doing a bunch of research and figuring out what parts would work I was able to locate a good cluster and second gear to replace the busted set.Got it for a great price to! Thanks Lloyd! If you ever need parts or advice on these early boxes,Lloyd Tiffany in Ca. is awesome. You can find him on Fordbarn..Assembly went pretty smooth after that. Added new bearings throughout,a 34 rear bearing retainer and new clutch shaft bushings. I didn't have a 39 "swan shifter" but I made my own from a 36 shifter I got for cheap.

thunderbirdesq likes this.
  7. madfish

madfish

Hey George,

Try here. He might have some photos or information.
    http://troypennysaver.com/index.php...e-50s-in-wny-and-nwpa-release-date-confirmed/

8. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

9. Mac Vanpelt is close by in Pa for your tranny parts. vanpeltsales.com

10. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Awesome, metal fab and trans rebuild. True craftsman! ...not the Sears kind.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I checked with VP, Lloyd was way cheaper

What you got against Sears! I got some Craftsman tools! Ha ha! Seriously,thanks for the compliment!

12. Great project, been watching.

13. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Beautiful work man! Guess I may be in a similar boat again soon... I just picked up a battered old 34 cpe stock car and a pile of parts... I won't have room in the shop for it any time soon so I think I'll just enjoy it as is for a bit and gather parts. Maybe run it at latimore... anyhow, really enjoying watching your car come together,George! Keep at it!

Ford Mike likes this.
  14. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks!

Ha ha! Thanks Andy! I'll be watching for your latest "build"!In the meantime,drive that '34!

15. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 009 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 005 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 006 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 009 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 011 (Small).jpg
    Getting back to work on the coupe. Working on the inside of the PS door.. A job I really was NOT looking forward to. The curves and overlapping of parts makes for a real mess of work.! Add to the fact that I have no bottom of either door to show me what its supposed to look like when done! Pulled my 34 coupe in the shop to look at its doors for reference and started cutting. Removal of the lower rust and placed the inner panel for mock up.Was careful not to cut off the inner hinge support as It was spot welded to the outer skin. I'll tie this back together to keep the hinge strength. Made a cardboard template for the rear edge of door.Cut out of steel and welded it up.. The lower rear corner of the patch panel was a little short(too wide door gap) I added some weld to it and ground the edge. Welded in the lower panel and ground smooth..I'll be working on the front edge next.

48fordnut and Runnin shine like this.
  16. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 002 (Small).jpg Went down to Rustys junkyard in Berlin and picked up a nice '40 Ford rear w/ 3:78 gear last weekend. This was a private storage yard that was never open to the public without an invitation in the past. Lots of cool old stuff! Need to find a set of '36 bones for this rear setup.

17. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Very nice work

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

19. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Dude you doing a sick job on this old girl Keep up the good work!

Brad

20. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks for the compliments guys!

21. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

33coupepics 001 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 002 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 003 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 004 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 005 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 006 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 008 (Small).jpg 33coupepics 009 (Small).jpg Made some more headway today on the PS door. The front inner piece came together easier than I expected! At first glance,it really looked complicated to make this repair but once I sat down and really looked it over the way to build it came to me. First,a basic cardboard template worked out some of the dimensions..Cut another piece of 80 yr old metal from a scrap '33 ford inner fenderwell. Folded one bend in the brake and used the stretcher to get the curve going. The inner bend was not a straight line so I used my trusty linemen pliers to get a fold started and used the shrinker to start tucking the metal into itself. The radius were not the same,much like the lower cowl pieces I made earlier,so I sliced it apart to allow the bends to move freely. once I got the shape I needed,I started cutting the lower edge to get it to follow the lower main panel. cutting and beat it until I got it to comply. Tucked it into the outer skin and welded into place. Still needs some finish work I'll spare you guys the minor stuff. Now that I got it figured out the DS door should go together easier.

22. mike bowling

mike bowling

Lotta work but looks great-I like all the pics you're posting of the repair process- all those templates and pieces and parts, and you're building a super ride. Looking forward to the roof section.Very educational for a guy like me- can't follow directions worth a damn, but show me a picture and it all makes sense. Thanks for posting. Mike from Mass.

23. cmarcus

cmarcus

Keep it up! Looks great!

24. realsteel

realsteel

Great work! Here's a few built along a similar line. Green roadster started as a beat up sedan cowl and doors and image.jpg the silver coupe started as a four door humpback sedan. image.jpg

1blown57, BradinNC, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  25. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I am enjoying your build. Your photos and explanations of how you accomplish each task are informative and interesting. Just the kind of stuff I like to view on the HAMB. Thanks for sharing!

rpm56 likes this.
  26. scoggman

scoggman

This is what I call recycling!!! Awesome!!!

jakespeed63 likes this.
  27. There's a lot of neat stuff in those grainy pix. You should start a thread on those. I'd love to see more but not on a hijack.

28. fins2nv

fins2nv
    from Fargo, ND

I have loved hot rods since I was a kid in the '50s, reading the little magazines. Over the years I have restored numerous '50s and '60s cars and I am happy with all I have learned over the years. But restoring a car is totally different than building a hot rod. When restoring you can replace parts and rebuild parts, but you seldom have the need to fabricate. I am continually amazed at the fabrication skills that you and so many HAMB members have. And not just the skills, but the insight to be able to conceive and design the pieces needed to build a rod they way you want. On top of that, the quality of work is fantastic. My hat's off to you all.

sonic03bluegt likes this.
  29. pumpman

pumpman

Damn strong man, love this thread.