Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shackles for Model A front springs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by F-6Garagerat, Dec 2, 2014.

1. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

So, I really don't like the nylon bushing shackles. The reproduction stock type shackles, the metal case/rubber insert style don't have a threaded portion long enough to drill a cotter pin hole in, at least the ones I've seen. I don't want to use nylocks on them either. I hate the look. Seems stupid I know but my truck is fenderless and I don't want to see them.

I have a Model A front axle and spring. I've had some new Model A shackles but honestly, the difference in diameter between bushing and the shaft has me baffled. Maybe I'm missing something with them but as sloppy as they are I don't know how they can work very well.

So, what Ford stock shackles are 1 3/4" x 3/4" and will fit a Model A spring?

Runnin shine likes this.
  2. Andy

Andy

32-34 shackles will fit the spring but not the stock A perch. I would run the aftermarket hot rod shackles but use oilite bearings. You could put castle nuts on them for looks. The oilite in stock shackles would need to be 11/16 instead of 3/4.

3. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

What's the difference between the spring and the perch? Mine are the same width and ID. Not sure if the perches are Model A though.

Not sure what you mean, could you expand on that a bit? Thanks.

4. Both original Model A spring eyes and perch bolts are 11/16" ID. '32 & up spring eyes and perch bolts are 3/4" ID. Most all the aftermarket hot rod springs are 3/4" ID.
    Possible idea for what you want is get some stock '32 & up square hole shackle plates, take the pins out of some replacement stock style rubber bushed shackle pins, and get some oilite bushings to fit.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pull the nylocks and use a stover or castle nut.

7. Thanx gimpyshotrods,that's what I need also.

8. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yeah I'm kind of leaning towards a Marsden nut and some Loctite.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  9. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Those are really nice. I could use a Marzden nut and Loctite on those. I wish they had a nut on both sides, I'm just anal like that. Those still might be the best option. Thanks for the links.

10. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yeah that's also an option. My brother suggested that earlier tonight.

11. titus

titus

on a couple builds ove done ive taken the nylon bushing shackes and put them in so the bolts face forward, then put castle nuts on them, theres enought length to drill them for cotter keys too.

12. Bump
    Because I'm looking too

13. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I'm going to go with the limeworks shackles, I like the bronze bushings.

14. jkeesey

jkeesey

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/867
    I always use these. Once pressed in the bushings constrict and become tighter. Sometimes you need to ream them. I also like using the castle nuts and cotter pins. I hate the nylons.

Runnin shine likes this.
  15. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yeah I hate nylocks too. I didn't know the bushings shrink so much, good to know. I'm kind of set on the limeworks shackles now though. I'll replace the nylocks with Marsden lock nuts from Roy Naciwicz, he makes repro Ford bolts and nuts etc. He's only a few miles from my house and hangin out with Roy is pretty cool, lol. Thanks for the info though.

16. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

it would be nice to see pics of all this when you get all the parts together...hmm?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I will for sure. It will be a week or two before I get them but when I do I'll shoot some pics.

3wLarry likes this.
  18. I emailed the Limeworks crew when I saw this thread. I am using aftermarket 3/4" ID spring and original Model A spring perches for the friction shock mount. The original Model A spring perches have the 11/16" ID holes. The Limeworks bushings are 3/4" so will not fit my spring perches. I ordered a set of Model A shackles for 11/16" bushings and plan to use my 3/4" rubber bushings on the spring end to resolve this.

19. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Are you talking about mixing stock ford type 3/4" shackle pins with the model A shackles? how are you going to pair the 2 different types of shackles? the stock type model A shackles dont come apart.

image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  20. Aftermarket like you have pictured. I will use one long bushing pictured on the perch end and the 3/4" rubber inserts on the spring end of the shackle.

21. Majo

Majo

thanks for the link

Majo

22. I just use original Model A shackles, and buy oilite bushes to fit the inside diameter of the spring eye and perch pin.
    I get them from here
    https://www.oilite.com/bearings.asp
    I tend to get ones that are a light press fit into the eye, and then ream the bore to the correct size for the Model A shackles.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  23. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

do you have part number for the correct size? do you use ones with a shoulder also?
    thanks

24. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yeah a part number would be cool.

25. I have a couple of sizes here
    Most engineering supply places have a range of oilite bushes

The Beemer ones I have in boxes are AA-744-2, AA-744-3 and FF-707-3, then I have a pile more in zip bags that I don't know part numbers for. + some long ones that are a different brand but I can't remember were I got

Which ones I use varies depending on what spring and shackles.
    Most time it takes two 1" long bushes per hole, but I also have some 2.25 long ones from a different supplier

I measure the inside diameter of the spring or perchpin and then machine the bushes on the lathe if needed
    Press them in (a vice will work, but go slow so the bush doesn't swell)
    Then ream too match the shackle pin
    I normally use the non-flanged bushes, except when doing a T spring on an A rear when I use flanged on the spring side and non flanged on the perch, which fixes the width issue (instead of spacers)

As I said, most engineering supply place will stock them

26. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks man, good info. Seems like shackles are one of those things that don't ever get discussed but need to be. I figured I couldn't be the only one that didn't care for the catalog type.

27. spooler41

spooler41

If you want Model A shackle's ,try Mac's or Gas Light auto parts.
    They have the real deal Model A stuff.

....................... Jack

28. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Not trying to be an ass but, the discussion went a lot deeper than just finding stock replacements. There are links in this post to Snyder's Antique Auto, they sell the same stock type Chinese made shackles. I also stated that I had a pair of those before and didn't like them. The discussion was about what alternatives people were using in place of the stock type and the aftermarket nylon bushing type.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  29. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I use Model-A front shackles and use the Model-A rear bushings which need cutting shorter to fit the Model-A shackles to later perches and springs. The rear bushings have the larger ID.

metalhead140 likes this.