Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for a traditional rear tube shock conversion

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by skryla, Nov 26, 2014.

1. skryla

skryla
    from Brick, NJ

I'm looking to buy a rear shock conversion for a traditional build. If you know of any vendors, or have any experience you would like to share, I'd appreciate the info. I am looking to convert the rear only.

2. I think pure hotrods,a vendor on here.

3. Roadsir

Roadsir

I re-purposed some rear wishbone mounts, and swapped them side for side. There are more pics in my build thread (link in my signature)

[​IMG]

neilswheels likes this.
  4. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

5. 46-48 ford bolt on rear shock mounts and a tube sunk into the frame and the inside of it threaded to take common replacement style shock mount studs.

6. Muttley

Muttley

7. FYI the pure hot rods kit is a copy and slight redesign of the 1946-48 bolt on shock mounts I was talking about.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I have a pair of the 46-48 for sale cheap.

9. The Pure hotrod ones are quite a bit larger in size vs. the '46-'48 OEM Ford rear mounts. I bought a pair for a project, they are a nice casting though, real heavy duty. They are also longer in length.

10. And not staggered lengths like the oem.

11. skryla

skryla
    from Brick, NJ

Please pm me with price. Thanks.

12. Not all the original ones are staggered, i've had two pair that have been the same length.

13. Are yours welded steel plate or forged?

14. chiro

chiro

I like the pure hotrods setup. Great quality casting and well made by a fellow HAMBer. I'm using them on my AV8

15. Forged. Both came off original rear ends.

16. You can kinda see them in this pic, these were a bit rusty but the same as the ones that came off my '48 Mercury rear end.

[​IMG]
    Heres the other pair i have, these are on my roadster. In this picture i was seeing if it was possible to fit them on the front to hide them.. however in my moment of creativity i forgot about the radius rods haha. Back to the rear they go!

I had trimmed a little on the front of these to clear the backing plate when trialing them on the front, however it doesn't make any difference to them.

[​IMG]

Hitchhiker likes this.
  17. jkeesey

jkeesey

I added a set of the pure hot rods ones to the rear of a 35 convertible sedan. We kept the original shocks on and located the new mounts to the front side of the axle. Took a little more work but they sure helped the car alot.

18. Different, never seen them like that here in the states.

19. Those are interesting, never seen them like that here in the states. I think they look cooler than the ones we have here.

20. Speedi D

Speedi D
    from Calif

If you are still looking into this topic - ck F1 parts

21. skryla

skryla
    from Brick, NJ

Thanks to all. I bought a rear set from Pure Hot Rods and a set of shocks from Kenny's on eBay. I'll post spot. Thanks again!

22. The Australian 47-48 ones are all equal length, and are quiet different to US ones

23. skryla

skryla
    from Brick, NJ

Here is the pic I promised.

Attached Files:

Hitchhiker likes this.