Register now to get rid of these ads!

You just have to look a little harder!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sinister13, Jan 23, 2006.

1. sinister13

sinister13

....so recently after months, well a few years of looking for the right piece and mostly at the right price (what my budget is), I finally get my chance at something cool, x2. All it took was knowing the right person, (is'nt that how it always works), and having the right amount of mula in pocket at the time. Well so I like every body else on the HAMB was wanting a model A, I prefered a 29' tudor but it really didn't matter as long as it was something reasonable to start with. I've known this person through car gatherings and hanging out, but never took the time to really get to know him and all it took was him finally taking me to what seems to be a grave yard of cool stuff. The first find was this 30-31 A truck, already chopped, juice brakes, boxed and stepped frame, caddy rear, and of course was within my wallets means. The guy who had it needed money and I struck a deal, a really good deal!, didn't seem like he knew what he had or didn't care. So it's now home and my friend says there was this old sedan down on the river like within 3 miles of the truck, that he had thought he saw a while hunting, and sure enough we go down there today and there it sat on the river bank, literally half in the river as I'm sure a large percentage of those did to keep farm ground from washing away. Now I know it's not the greatest, but with the way prices are going I'm sure alot of you like me would be willing to cut, weld and bend steel for the sake of saving something old, and since the cost of such an item in this case is all in a little time and sweat, and digging (of course when the water is wamer :)), I think the pay off would be worth it. So just keep in mind that all those guys selling this stuff on ebay had to find it some where just like you, and that maybe we'll all have our chance at a good score too... KEEP ON HUNTING! :D

Attached Files:

2. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

You do realize that you are going to have to tell us how much you paid. :D

Nice score! Looks like a good start.

Mike

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...We got your kitty. Tell us how much you paid or the kitty gets it!

Attached Files:

4. sinister13

sinister13

No, ...well ok, but don't hate me cause it almost broke me... secretly I gave $300 for it all, (I know, I couldn't believe it either) but I called a buddy the night before and talked him into one of my big block cores, so if you look at it this way, cash in - cash out and the truck was a "freebie", and some money for a grille to. :cool:

5. sinister13

sinister13

....you know I'm thinking since it seems like the vast majority of hot rods are always found "in some old garage" on the left coast, that has to mean that there are probably like atleast a boat load, (or stock yard for around here) full of promising cars just waiting to be found right here between Kansas and Oklahoma!, right... man I wish I had a helicopter to go searching with.:rolleyes:

6. johnboyrox

johnboyrox
    from Ottawa, KS

Yeah, but around here "some old garage" was "some old barn" and it got put behind the barn and someone's brother had a bulldozer and a ditch to fill in...
    We bought a farm in Missouri when I was 12 and I un-earthed a Complete Model T. It was all there, but mangled. I told a friend about it and his dad said, "yeah I remember playing in that T when I was a kid, It was in that barn forever until they bought a couple milk cows. It was in great shape until they buried it in the 70s."

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Excellent score...I like the idea of rescuing that soggy bottom Sedan! Hope the worms weren't TOO hungry!

That "Incoming" picture... That child looks abused or something. The pic gives me the creeps. Is that a big bruise under his eye? Looks like it.

(I realize its just picked off the net...NO problems with Larry or anything!!!!!)

8. sinister13

sinister13

I know. I can't believe all the times I've gone scouting only to find what a farmer said was "in pretty good shape I think" or "it ran when I parked it", yeah like 40 years ago!, or how he could'nt sell that ol' thing cause then he wouln't have anything for his heffers to feed out of!... if he only knew that old rusty sharp edged car would buy him 10 new feed bunks! :D

9. HAAS

HAAS

10. HAAS

HAAS

11. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Power of the HAMB

12. That's fucked up. Talk about bursting a guys bubble! Hope this works out for the best.

13. guiseart

guiseart

Old farmers in Kansas never traded anything in... they rolled it behind the trees or down in a ditch and got a new one... lotsa shit out here if ya go driving on cow-paths once in awhile :D

14. Now this ought to be interesting...... :eek:

JH

15. HAAS

HAAS

Sorry about all this, This is not sinister13's fault at all. I didn't mean to cause a rukus out loud. I will keep this off the board

16. Very interesting............ Yikes !

CBB

17. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

Good find! Good luck with it and keep us posted with pics!

18. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Aww Shit...you mean that pic caused a rukus and I missed it? Darn...:D

19. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Yep, 6 months ago I noticed a big pile of rust looking mangled scrap near one of the neighbors pasture gates in Paola, KS. I'd heard he had some old cars back in the trees or something. Never found them in all my horseriding "loose cattle roundups" back there. Well the nephew of the old guy, took his Uniloader and crushed and mangled them and pushed them from the back to the road to get hauled off. All A's, mostly gone, but still.............