Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Really? Another t-5 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by King Callie, Dec 3, 2014.

1. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

Ok, I am well aware of all the posts on the t-5 swaps. That said, prior to reading everyone of these, I purchased a t5 out of a 1996 s-10. It has a 26 spline shaft and a ford bellhousing bolt pattern. Surely others have gone this route before me as am not usually the pioneer type. Please share source of appropriate adapters and pics if possible. Thanks Guys!

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

So far I can tell you that it will bolt to a Ford bellhousing.

Are you sure there isn't anything else you want to tell us?

3. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

I have an 8ba bellhousing that could be modified and I also have the truck adapter for the bellhousing style adapters. Anyone use a stock bellhousing for this before? Pics?

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

MORE info needed and given by the way.
    I'm thinking someone makes a spacer plate to bolt that trans to the Ford bellhousing but don't know who.

5. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

Most of the adapters I have found for a ford bolt pattern are for the mustang t5 which has a different input shaft length.

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

7. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

8. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

Looks like cornhuskers is the way to go.

9. BLACKPRIMERFAN

BLACKPRIMERFAN
    from OH/MI LINE

I have a Hotrod Works adapter to go s10 t5 to sbc, and I know they offer more applications... Check their site.

10. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

The Cornhuskers part will not work with your T5. It is good for the GM style T5 only (up through 92). Your T5 has the Ford bell pattern like a Mustang T5, but not the input shaft size/spline/retainer diameter of the Mustang T5.

11. jerry

jerry

Use a scattershield, index the trans to it, as mounted to the engine, Mark the new hole location, drill, weld nut to fit on inside. Bolt to motor, drive it!

jerry

12. Ole don

Ole don

John Mummert sells a nice adapter plate that bolts a Ford Pattern T5 to a 49 to 56 Ford bell housing.

13. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

After checking with many manufacturers of the adapters for the 49-up bellhousing it seems that the input shaft length is an issue. Was told I may be able to switch the input shaft out with a mustang to go that route. Seems like even though the early t5s are available that the the large number of late model transmissions with world class internals would be enough for a specific adapter to be produced. ( I am aware that all of my 180 horses do not require WC internals)

14. There is a member whose name is INLINE and makes adapters for t-5 trans to different bellhousings. He has an ad in the parts section.

15. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I read somewhere (but I can't find it now) about a guy that cut the extra length of the input shaft to make it work. You can swap out the input shaft for the Ford one and that sounds like an easy permanent solution.

16. I'm running an S10 T5 behind the 350 in my pickup using a stock bell housing. Someone suggested changing the input shaft to make it fit so I headed to the trans shop, only to find out that I had to change several gears along with the input shaft. $$$

You might be better off shopping round for another transmission.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

You may want to look into the gears anyway. A lot of those S10 units have the 4.03 first gear which you probably don't want anyway.

A viable solution is to hybrid your S-10 tailsection to a Ford T-5 box with the gears you want.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Now, not knowing about the input shaft on the later (post '93) Ford patterned type S-10 T-5s, I can state that with the earlier type, the length is no big deal. On the earlier S-10 trans, I have run them on a standard Chevy V8 bell housing by simply cutting approximately 1/2" off of the pilot bearing surface of the trans, a similar amount off the throw out bearing collar, and if necessary, a bit ground off the splined hub of the clutch disc. And I am talking just a bit. All of this takes literally just minutes in a basic shop.

My thoughts are, is this a viable option with this unit too. Look at the input shaft length of the Ford unit, (I have a Mustang T-5 in corner of the shop that I can dig out if you can't find the measurement elsewhere) and compare the length to what you have. If it's within reason, the same course of action might be all you need to make this work with the commercially made adaptors out there. After that, it becomes a simple matter of matching up a disc that fits the splines and diameter needed.

I am watching this closely, as a later S-10 came in to a private yard the other day that could net me the same trans quite inexpensively

19. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool King Callie, If you need that input length, it'll be a bit of work to dig it out, but I'd be happy to do it for you. I have seen that info in magazines and on the internet, though. If it's within a half inch or so of the Mustang stuff that is meant to fit the adaptor, the above solution is viable.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Be aware, all of these have the 4.03 gearset.

As far as I know, they retain the same length input shaft as the earlier units.

22. yruhot

yruhot

I put in a t-5 out of I think an 88 s-10 into my 57 pickup. The 57 had a saginaw three on the tree. had to drill out the trans ears on the s-10 they were metric to 1/2" ear holes trimed a little of input shaft and throw out bearing collar and it all worked out fine. I don't understand the Ford bell housing bolt pattern on a chevy s-10 trans. I got most of my info from a site called oldstoveboltchevy.com I think it's still up. All sorts of t-5 swap info till you can't see straight but they had all the specs on what needed trimmed. yruhot Good luck.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All T5's, as a production line cost saving measure, went to a single main case casting, in 1993. Since Ford was the biggest contract, their pattern became the default.

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Gimpy, would that pattern be the same as the Econoline bell that you have used? The couple that I have done I have made an adaptor and used the stock Falcon bell, so I'm not really familiar with the Eco bell.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No. The late Ford pattern is the "wide toploader" pattern. The early Econoline bell has the "narrow toploader" pattern.

26. jerry

jerry

Find a chevy pattern trans housing, swap the guts, mount and drive.

jerry

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's what I thought Gimpy, my brain is just working over time.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Empty main cases are routinely on eBay.

In any case, it would need to be shimmed properly.

29. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I do have an adapter kit that fits the 93 up trans. Gary at Cornhusker

30. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

Does this require any mods to the input shaft. Is the diameter right for throw out bearing? Thanks