Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Mercury Power Steering?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jkluge, Dec 3, 2014.

1. jkluge

jkluge

Has anyone found an easy way to put power steering in 49-51 Mercury?

I currently have a 50 merc with a basic Chevy 350/turbo350 and a 9" ford rear.
    Disc brake conversion on the stock uprights and stock suspension and steering.

Looking quicker alternative than a new front sub upgrade.
    I have heard of a few guys putting powered racks on the stock front suspension of some 50s chevs before. I want to say it was a center style out of an intrepid or Corsica or something, so naturally I wondered if anyone had done this sort of idea on a Merc or Shoebox Ford.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They do sell a kit $$$$$$ though Ebay link
    I'm guessing that that steering box is a factory item for some model of car or pickup that you can get quite reasonably if you figure out what it is off.

3. jkluge

jkluge

Yeah i did see that replacement powered steering box, but I agree it is a bit expensive. Maybe someone on here knows what it is off of and i could start searching that route?

anyone?

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Look into 1973-1979 Ford F-100 power steering box. I never did one, but I read about it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    jkluge likes this.

5. Contact Chris at shoebox-central.com. He is the man for 49-53 Ford and Mercury parts and info. If he tells you something works take it as gospel.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Brentphx

Brentphx

EPAS may be worth considering if you haven't seen it yet... may be considered cheating by some. I made sure to save the link anyway. Can be done cheaper than the Unisteer kit too... how to article linked here

7. jkluge

jkluge

Has anyone done the 'steering linkage upgrade kit' from Shoebox-Central?
    states it improves handling and is a must for lowered stock suspension.

Mine is bagged and it steers real hard. If i can find something for relatively cheap solution i will run it, otherwise i will just suck it up for the summer and end up puttin a front sub in it next winter.

8. jkluge

jkluge

So i found some things,
    F100 power steering box (Large and changes the geometry of the column, but uses the original pitman arm.)

Isuzu tooper (Small but not a very strong box and requires some frame modifications and you have to use a custom pitman arm) Pretty expensive also.

Jeep box (This is the one Extreme Kustom sales. Supposed to be strong and does not change the geometry of the column and uses the Merc pitman arm. Some frame mods.)
    Credit goes to: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/49-51-merc-power-steering.416931/

might get this plate to make it easier too.
    http://www.butchscoolstuff.com/49-51-mercury-bolt-in-power-steering-conversion-kit-2233/

9. Over the years I have used Ford Truck steering box and Toyota steering box mounted on stock Merc frame/centerlink. In fact I have the Toyota box in my 57 Ford convert. In all 3 jobs I connected to stock tie rod units. I'm not smart enough to buy any Kit stuff. Most often kits just got me pissed off and coming up with my own way. I don't have photos but can tell ya the truck box went in quite easy. To do any job of this type I start with the stock steering totally in tact and aligned. Center the steering and tack weld 2 mounts to the frame and center link, then pull the stock steering box. I had to file the flats out of the Merc pitman arm to use the F-100 box. No big deal. I transfered the bolt pattern of the F-100 box to the Merc frame drilled and sleeved them. That's to keep from crushing the frame when tightening the box. It's a must do. As I remember the column came through just about the stock spot. Obviously it's just a bit more involved and it's been about 12 years since I did the Truck one so memory is a bit light. However was a very easy swap for me and it drove very well. I would say on a 1 to 10 for home builders it's maybe a 5. I also did much the same using the Toyota box and was equally as pleased with how it worked. Thus the reason I'm currently using it in my 57 Ford Convert. Both Merc projects were for customers but pleased me very well prior to handing them over. Now on my personal Merc I have a 70 Nova sub frame and know I'll be very pleased with how it drives. I've done 4 of them over the years on Mercs and my 51 Vicky also rolls on a Nova unit.
    The Wizzard

jkluge likes this.
  10. Sometimes something as simple as a change of tyres can make a big difference.

11. Very true. Also worn out parts. There was a reason when they were new it was recomended to lube them every 3K miles. Caster is also a big deal on stock front end stuff. To much or not enough and that car drives like Crap. Most alignment shops today don't know what they are doing with Vintage stuff, then add in a cut coil and you have a real Mess.
    The Wizzard

Hemi-Ron likes this.
  12. By the way, Power steering box will not cure those issues.

13. jkluge

jkluge

Totally understand, I had bought the car the way it is now, after a second look a lot more 'rework' will be being than than I initially thought. Once I get it on the hoist and get a chance to make some adjustments and replace some parts I am confident that it will be a lot better the way it is. Then at that point look at a powered steering gear, probably be awesome after that.

14. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I've done the f100 a few times. Not that hard, neither is the jeep box. F100 box is bigger so it puts more column in the car than the jeep..Get an upgraded tie rod kit and idler from Fatman, Haven't seen Chris's kit but probably along the same lines as the other kits that replace the factory crap and will make a big difference. Make sure your kingpins arent shot also. I would post pics but i haven't figured out how to do it from my phone and the computer is down..

jkluge likes this.
  15. jkluge

jkluge

I just got a F100 box for free from grandpa, so if you could post picture of some of the f100 boxes you have used that would be awesome! It does have a few new linkage pieces under it but I am not sure yet what exactly was replaced and what wasn't. I will be digging under it this weekend.

16. Power steering; 001.jpg Unfortunatly I don't have photos of the Truck box in the Merc. Here is one of the Toyota/Isuzu box in my 57 Ford. Same kind of job but different parts. It's important to get the sector shaft and pitman arm mounted as close to exact as stock Merc box as possible. Transfer bolt pattern and be sure to sleeve the new bolt holes. A down side to using the Toyota box is that I have not found a new U-Joint that matches it. I've always had to use a stock connector and modify it as needed.
    The Wizzard

17. KustomKid9

KustomKid9

I have used the fatman fabrication kit that uses the ford pickup box and it worked great.

18. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Check in with the guys at The Ford Barn and Shoe Box Ford .com. There are some guys there that have done some amazing things with easy it get car parts and a little sweat.

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Have talked to guys with hard steering before, and advised them to go over the front end and steering mechanism and repair or replace worn items, then get a front end alignment. For icing on the cake get new shock absorbers for all 4 wheels (about a $100 bucks).

Those who listened, were amazed at how easy their cars steered and how nice they rode and handled. They had no more desire for a new front clip, power steering or other major and expensive $$$$$$ changes.

Pumping up the tires to 32 PSI helps too, especially with radials.

20. 1gearhead

1gearhead

I am not aware of any PS Kits for 49-51 Merc. I have done tow of these conversions one utilizing a Saginaw 605 Steering gear and the second one using a 500 series Saginaw steering gear. The ones that i used were purchased from either CPP or POL. I used the steering box that each of those make for installation in a Tri-5 Chevy. Also sourced the pitman arm with the correct ends and angle from them. This is not necessarily an easy swap I would place it on a scale of 1-10 at about a 7 as a fair amount of fabrication is required to mount the steering gear to the frame. One of these conversions was done on a Chevy powered Merc and the other was on a Flathead powered Merc. That one proved to be even more challenging mounting dsthe Power steering pump on the Merc Flathead..

21. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

The grand Cherokee box is very close in size to the Merc. You have to notch the frame for the nose of the box but no biggy. The F100 sits higher which sometimes helps for clearing headers and stuff. Ill clip a Merc if the customer wants, but when you get all the bolt on upgrades for the front, the stock stuff works great and last a long time... image.jpg image.jpg

22. l'm gonna use the 1999-2004 jeep grand cherokee box in mine since they are cheap and plentiful!

23. I remember way back when the F-100 project came to me it was in a Kit Form. The customer had bought it from Gearvender Products. It had you cutting and welding on the Center link, and who ever they were they had welded a 3/8" thick plate to the box with some threaded holes. Holes matched nothing and no template to use for a guide. Nice start I thought. In the instructions they said something about notching the frame also. There was a lot about that Kit I didn't like. Upon inspecting what all came, the steering box itself was froze up. I let the customer handle that issue with No resolve. I took the box to a local rebuilder and they I.D. the unit. It was beyond salvage. I went into hand build mode with a fresh Yard Kill box and along with many of the items addressed in prior instructions, I found notching the frame was not necessary. That was one of the two big issues for me being the Car I was working on was fully painted with lots of Chrome everywhere under the hood. I also remember something to do with the Kit center link adapter (I did not use it) having the pitman arm mounted to the underside. I mounted it to the Top side (may have been the stock position) giving more ground clearance eliminating the need to notch the frame and brought the steering column through nearly the stock hole in the floor. Really wish I had photos of that little job for my own memory.
    The Wizzard

24. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

89 and up Cavalier rack works great on 49/51 Fords. Not sure if it can be used on the Mercs. Fatman makes a kit for shoeboxes or you can get a used rack and build the rest. This is not a bolt in, but if you do the work yourself it is low buck. e mail me at springgrange@personainternet if you want more info